Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey texastightwad. I believe that the only Oldsmobile model that received any sort of incentives enhancement through the GM Red Tag Sale is the Silhouette. Having said this, its incentives on all Olds. models are still pretty aggressive. At this time there does not appear to be any hidden incentives out there on Oldsmobile models that are not available on other brands. It is difficult to say how tough a time General Motors will have selling the remaining models from this dead brand or whether it will have to enhance its incentives on it even further.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Hi Car_man,

Do you have any idea what NMAC's standard APR(assuming good credit) is if we opt for the $1500 Altima rebate?

Thanks!
    Hi keeferb. If you opt to take advantage of the special financing rates that Nissan is offering on the 2005 Altima instead of the $1,500 customer cash, you can finance it through NMAC at 1% interest for up to 5 years, which is a pretty attractive offer.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Can you combine the 0% for 72 months and the red tag price on a 2004 Malibu Maxx?

Thanks for any input.
    Hi adamjeeps. Unfortunately, no the 0% financing rate that GM is providing on 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx models for 72 months can not be combined with its bonus cash for vehicles that are financed through GMAC.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • chevtruckguychevtruckguy Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 2005 Avalanche 1500; prior to the Red Tag Sales Event which began on 12/10/04, Chevrolet was offering a $2500 rebate OR financing options. Does the Red Tag promotion offer bonus cash or other form of ADDITIONAL incentive on this vehicle above the $2500 or is the Red Tag Sale Event just hype? Thanks.
  • joe44joe44 Member Posts: 14
    Want to purchase a 2004 GMC Sierra Extended Cab. What are current incentives? Cash versus cash/financing? Should all vehicles during red tag sales be tagged or is it just a select few?? Thanks
    Hi chevtruckguy. General Motors did enhance its incentives on a number of models for the Red Tag Sales Event. Specifically, on the 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, its special financing rates went from 0% for up to 3 years, 2.9% for 4 years, and 3.9% for 5 years to 0% for up to 3 years, 1.9% for 4 years, 2.9% for 5 years, and 4.9% for 6 years. The $2,500 customer cash remained the same, but GM did add a $500 bonus for '05 Avalanche models that are financed or leased through GMAC in its Southeast region.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Hello joe44. GM's incentives on this truck vary depending upon what part of the country you are in. If you tell me what your home state is, I would be more than happy to tell you exactly what incentives are available on the '04 Silverado in your area.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • joe44joe44 Member Posts: 14
    Car Man,

I am in Georgia. 2004 Sierra Extended Cab. When I look at the total rebate on GMbuypower, is all of it cash or is some of that for financing with gmac for 8-9%? Was by the dealership today, not all cars are tagged with special pricing. Thanks for your help.
  • carbonnicarbonni Member Posts: 33
    Anybody knows how many $500 Instant Value Certificates (if any) can be used for a 2004 Alero?
    Thanks for the additional information joe44. Georgia is in General Motors Southeast region. According to the latest information that I have seen, in that part of the country General Motors is currently providing 0% financing for up to 6 years OR $3,500 customer cash OR $1,500 customer cash + 0.9% financing for up to 3 years, 1.9% for 4 years, and 2.9% for 5 to 6 years on the 2004 Sierra 1500 Extended Cab. While GM is providing additional cash bonuses on certain '04 Sierra models in certain regions, I do not believe that there is any on this specific truck in your area. So you don't have to worry about financing through GMAC using its standard financing rate to qualify for any of the aforementioned cash.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Carbonni, General Motors dealers may use up to a total of three $500 Instant Value Certificates on 2004 Oldsmobile Alero models. Having said this, most dealers will not have anywhere enough to use three certificates on every sale. The fact that you know about this program and most other consumers don't definitely puts you in a strong bargaining position though.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • dayndayn Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! I am in the market for a GMC or Chevy 2500HD Crew and am looking for information on lease incentives in Michigan. The dealership tells me that last month there was a $1000 GMAC bonus and a $500 cap cost reduction. This month they tell me only the $500 cap cost reduction is in effect. Can someone fill me in is this true?

Thanks!
  • tim10tim10 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any experience finding a dealer recently who still has December GM Instant Value Certificates? I'll fly anywhere to purchase and pick up. I'm trying to find a dealer to give some up on a Blue 05 Malibu Base purchase. Thanks in advance!!

• sickntired1sickntired1 Member Posts: 11
    I test drove two Chevy's last night and when I brought up the certificates....you would have thought I was asking for the moon. How do you get them to cough up the certificates?
  • bridenbriden Member Posts: 18
    How's it goin', Car_man!

Was wondering if you could provide me with the latest incentives, if any, and APRs on this vehicle?

TIA
  • slasleyslasley Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to by a Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban/XL. I think I understand the incentive programs, and the 0% financing with GMAC seems to be the "best" option over the rebates. BUT: are the rebates applied before sales tax? In other words, would I have to pay 8.25% on the up to $6500 in rebates ($536.25) if I took the rebates? Are they treated the same way a trade-in is treated?

Also, I have a $500 "Cash Allowance" certificate for participating in the "AutoShow In Motion". It states that it "can be combined with most other purchase or lease offers..." - my concern is that I would like to NOT mention this incentive until the final price is worked up. Do you know if this incentive can or can not be combined with the 1500 financing and/or 4000 rebate?

Thanks!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    My understanding from reading things on the net over the years is that GM groups incentives by types. This is where the combo issue comes in play. You should be able to take a consumer rebate, the fianance bonus and a direct mail rebate (your auto show in motion). What you might not be able to do, would be to combine another direct mail incentive with your auto show coupon. I have read that the dealer can use a GM program to enter the vin of the truck and show which rebates work with each other and witch do not. After settling on a purchase price, tell them you want to talk rebates and ask them to run the compatability program to see yourself. Good luck.
  • markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    Do dealers pay anything for the GM certificates they receive from GM? Is the number of certs a dealer gets based on prior sales numbers?
    Hi dayn. General Motors is providing GMAC bonus cash on the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra in your area, its North Central region, right now, but only on the 1500 Extended and Crew Cab versions. The $500 capitalized cost reduction for leases of Silverado and Sierra Crew Cab models still exists though.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Things are going very well, briden. I've finished all of my holiday shopping and am going to relax and watch some football this afternoon. As a host for an on-line forum, I am proud to say that I supported the industry and purchased every single one of my holiday gifts on the Internet this year ;). It sure beats going out in the cold and waiting in all of those long lines in the stores. OK, now back to incentives. You said that you are interested in the 2005 Volvo S40 T5. Right now Volvo is providing 3.9% financing for up to 3 years and 4.9% for 4 to 5 years (I know this isn't anything special) and $1,850 dealer cash on this car. It also has a fairly attractive lease program on it.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Hello each state seems to have its own rules about taxes, so it is difficult to generalize about how tax should be calculated on your new vehicle. Of course having said this, I will try to anyhow :). Generally speaking, customer incentives are taxed and dealer incentives are not. The idea behind this is that dealer cash is actually a manufacturers' price adjustment and not a bonus to the consumer. This means that the sales tax on vehicles in most states is calculated before customer incentives are deducted, but after dealer incentives are deducted from its price. For more specific information on how sales tax is calculated on vehicles in your state, you may want to check out the following sites: Texas Department of Transportation"> and Texas Taxes.

In answer to your second question, the $500 Auto Show in Motion coupon can indeed be combined with any other cash incentives that are available on this truck. So don't worry about not mentioning it until the end of your negotiations.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Markf57, the instant value certificates that are being given by General Motors to its dealers were provided in an effort to help them sell more vehicles, so they definitely are not charged for them. The exact number of certificates that are available varies from dealer to dealer, based upon its sales so far this year. The more vehicles a dealership has sold, the more certificates it is rewarded with.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • navyboy65navyboy65 Member Posts: 3
    Hey All I just started to look in to buying a New 04 SS Silverado. I'm In CA and the lowest a dealer has offered me was 31K with the current 5500 off in GMAC and whats on gmbuypower! Does any one know the APR for taking the most money off on gmbuypower. I also just found a private offer cert. GM sent me in the mail for 1K off Mid and full sized trucks and says its compatible with most offers. I have a question about those $500 instant value certs. are they still out there and should I start buggin the dealers about them? Also I've read about the Hold fund, floor plan charges, advertising, and so on fees that can add up to 10% of the invoice and/or MSRP. Is that correct??? So I should be getting them to knock as much of that 10% off the invoice price as I can. I been having inconsistencies with dealers giving the invoice price I been told 36K-34K. I've seen 35-34K online. Does anyone know the invoice price I should be working with, I do want about 1K in options added to the base SS. Any tips/tricks/advice will help as this is my first attempt to buy a new vehicle
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    after taking her MPV in for an oil change today I noticed the dealer still had an '04 Mazdaspeed Miata and tons of '04 RX8s looking lonely and forlorn out on the lot. (it followed me home - can I keep it?) I have to imagine I could really abuse the dealer on one of these. So CarMan, what kind of incentives are there on '04 RX8s and Mazdaspeed Miatas in Utah?

Thanks,

Jason
  • markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    Car_Man:

Once again, thanks for the information.
    Hey Jason. Mazda is currently only providing 0% financing for 2 years and 3.9% for 3 to 5 years or $1,500 customer cash on the 2004 Mazda RX-8. It is providing a lot of lease cash on this car, a total of $4,500, but given the fact that it it an '04 model, I suspect that its residual values are fairly low at this point, making it fairly expensive to lease.

On the 2004 Miata, Mazda is providing 0% financing for up to 5 years and 2.9% for 6 years or $1,500 customer cash or $1,000 customer cash PLUS 2.9% financing for up to 5 years. I believe that Mazda is also providing another $2,500 dealer cash on '04 Mazdaspeed Miatas in your area (its western region).

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    You're welcome, markf57.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • sjacobson81sjacobson81 Member Posts: 15
    In November, during Thanksgiving weekend, Ford's programs were very aggressive on the leftover '04's - 0% for 72 months and free 3-year maintenance, as well as an FMCC rebate on top of all of it.

0% for 72 is GONE, as is the free maintenance.

Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to whether these are coming back during the Christmas Holidays?

GM has 0% for 72 right now...

Thanks!
    Hello sjacobson81. Funny that you should mention 0% financing for 72 months because Ford just reintroduced it on several 2004 models this morning. Specifically it did so on the 2004 Freestar, 2004 Explorer, 2004 Explorer Sport Trac, and 2004 Expedition. If you let me know which model or models you are considering purchasing, I would be more than happy to give you a detailed breakdown of the incentives that are available on them right now.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Mine is along the same lines as sjacobson81 only with GM. As mentioned here before the "Red Tag Sale" isn't much of anything for an educated buyer. I was wondering if GM would "sweeten" their incentives on 04s and 05s at all just before the end of the year. I'm most interested in a Tahoe. Thoughts?
    Car_man, can you also tell us, what normally happens when the new year comes. My family and I have gotten terrible colds and I've had to put off my car hunt and will be going away for two weeks. This means I will not be able to car shop until 2005. Will there still be good deals on 2004's?
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    The most important thing is getting a "good deal" is to buy a car that you truly enjoy. We buyers must never forget that.

Maybe you will pay a little more after Jan 1, and maybe not.

It would be much, much worse to try and purchase before Jan 1 without knowing EXACTLY what you want. If it is not what you want, then you will get tired of the car very quickly and trade it in after a couple years. Now THAT would be a bad deal.
    Hi stanwict. Despite the fact that it seems as though it has been a slow December, sales-wise, I think that General Motors has fired its final shot of the year in terms of incentives enhancements. Of course anything is possible, but most automakers do not make any major incentives revisions this late in the year. They usually like to make their year-end sales push early in December.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Sorry to hear about your family's colds. I've been fighting one for about a week or so myself. I took that that Coldease (I probably spelled its name wrong) stuff the last two times that I felt a cold coming on and am convinced that it actually works. Try it out next time you think you're getting sick. This incentives discussion was brought to you by Coldease :)...

The main problem with waiting a week or two to purchase a 2004 model is that they are quickly disappearing. A number of models have been sold out of 2004s for quite some time. The longer you wait to purchase one, the less likely you are to be able to find one with the combination of color and options that you want. Furthermore, most dealerships are pretty anxious to make sales at this point of the year. The normal month-end sales push is somewhat magnified by it being the end of the year and by the fact that showroom traffic is usually off significantly because everyone is busy with the holidays at the end of December. I wouldn't worry too much about the incentives on '04 models though. Even though the push for sales at the end of the year will be over, I suspect that most automakers will continue to have hefty offers on leftover models to help clear them off of dealers' lots.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    Thank you carman for your advice on colds and cars!!!

bobst, you are exactly correct...I have always been a chevy girl, but I really like the color of the dodge durango (atlantic blue). I really like the looks of the dodge compared to the trailblazer and the Tahoe is more than I want to spend right now. So do I give the durango a try...spend more money than I wanted to for the Tahoe (and a color I'm not crazy about)? Does anyone out there have an opinion?
    No problem, sickntired1. I am not a doctor, but I play one on Edmunds.com :).

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • trckn4lifetrckn4life Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am new here and looking at buying an 05 chevy silverado...I negotiated in price and my dad has GM $ accrued on his card (I just got mine, so I don't have much), anyways I know I can use his points; what I'm wondering is he got info on the roundup where they bump his points up to 2000 off a new vehicle (as long as it wasn't one listed on the exclusion list). Well, could I use this along with the Red Tag pricing that they are having now? cause I'm already getting 2g back from going through GMAC (not a low interest rate (so I can have that rebate))?

what should I do for the best deal? On the flyer he got about the roundup it says "This Bonus Earnings offer cannot be combined with other Bonus Earnings offers or with the New Vehicle Purchase Program discount(GM discount)"
    oh and I noticed online it says this:

" This offer is nontransferable and can only be used by qualified Cardmembers."

...so I wonder if my dad would have to be listed on the title?
    Hi trckn4life. This is a very interesting question. I am not positive, but one would think that if you were allowed to use your father's accrued GM Card points towards the purchase of your new truck that you should be able to use the $2,000 bump in points as well, but you never know. I can tell you that this additional $2,000 incentive is compatible with General Motors' normal customer cash and GMAC bonus cash incentives. The best way to find out if you can use these additional points towards the purchase of your new truck would be to contact the GM Card people by using the contact information that is available at http://www.gmcard.com .

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • nate4eanate4ea Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, First time here! Great place to get educated. I am looking for a 2005 Gas Chevy or GMC 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. Not sure what, if any, early year incentives will come out, but concerned that they may hold off til mid-year. Any thoughts... Would I be better off going with an '04......

Thanks in advance.

Nate4ea
    I dunno about your area, but at least around here there are verrrrry slim pickin's for 04's. I went trying to find one that I liked ext. cab with 5.3 and blue, black, or silver and didn't have any luck. Plus right now the RedTag deal seems pretty good! I don't know what kinda promo's they will be running after Jan 3rd, but I think Chevy/GM have some good deals going on now.

Oh and a crew 05 Silverado is what I think I'm gonna be signing on tomorrow. It's a sweet ride!

you might want to try for an 04 first though and see if they have what you want...
    Welcome Nate4ea. General Motors' current incentives program is scheduled to run through January 3rd. It is difficult to say what its incentives will be like on the models that you are interested in after that date. GM will certainly provide incentives on these trucks early on in the new year, it is just tough to say exactly how much will be available. I can tell you that GM is currently providing much more support on the 2004 versions of these trucks than it is on the 2005 models. If I was in the market for one, I personally would try to find a nice leftover Silverado or Sierra. At this point in the model year, the longer you wait to purchase a leftover model, the less likely it is that you will be able to find one in the color and with the combination of options that you want.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
  • sjacobson81sjacobson81 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you! You are the ONLY source who accurately knew about the return of 0% / 72 months on the 2004 Expy, several of the dealers I called didn't know yet until they checked!

I am considering a 2004 Expedition XLT 4x2 4.6L

Heard any news on the possible return of 3-years free maintenance, in the last few days of 2004?

Thanks!!
  • nate4eanate4ea Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Car_man. I feel that the resale of the '05 will pay for itself when I'm ready to turn her in instead of going with the '04. Hopefully I can get down close to invoice, $34K, and then get whatever incentives available to get me down around $30 or so. We'll see what pops up.

Thanks for y'all's input!! Happy New Year!!!

Nate4ea
  • chervin18chervin18 Member Posts: 2
    Question for Car_Man:

I went through the pre-approval process with Ford Financing and I was told that I have very good credit. They said I qualify as a "Fast Lane" customer. I am planning to purchase 04 Expedition Eddie Bauer and the guy I've been talking to said I can get $1500 bonus by going through Ford's Financing but the best % they can give me is 5.9% for 60 months. My credit score is very good... around 740.

Do you think they're telling the truth about 5.9% being the best they can do with the cash bonus?

Thanks!
  • cali_dvrcali_dvr Member Posts: 18
    Just called my dealer about a new 2004 Chevy Avalanche. I was told Chevy is doing 1.9% for 72 months but are they doing any money also?? Price I was quoted was 32K so the payments wouldbe around 515 a month. I'd like to bring it down as much as possible.

Thanks
    You're very welcome, sjacobson81. I am glad that I was able to help you out. I have not heard any rumblings about Ford enhancing its incentives over the next week or so. I think that most automakers are done changing their incentives programs for the year. Most of them are operating on skeleton crews at this point. I suspect that any major changes to incentives programs will happen during the first week or so of January.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum
    You're welcome, nate4ea. Good luck in your quest for a new vehicle and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shopper Forum