Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, XL Electrical Problems

Comments

• Hi again,
    Just an update. I got the door panel off - it comes off easily after you remove two screws holding it in place. Then I peeled back the plastic inner liner and located the door ajar switch. It's integrated into the latch mechanism, at the trailing edge of the door. I was able to replace it, button it up and everything worked fine. Now, after several months trouble free, I've had two instances when it was raining hard, that the door ajar message reoccurred, but as soon as the rain stopped, the message cured itself. At this point, it isn't annoying enough to try to troubleshoot. ;)
  • 2008 Yukon. owners manual says "the black/red power feed will not be connected to the battery until the ring terminal is unstowed and connected to the undershood electrical center." Can someone tell me where it is stowed? I'm guessing underneath the fuse/breaker panel (lift the two catches and raise that panel?), but would be nice to benefit from someone's experience. Thanks.
  • I've been having this same problem. Replaced the instrument panel on the door, went to have it programmed and they said it wasn't getting any power. :-\

Did you ever figure out what was going on?

Or does anyone out there have any ideas?
  • sour2sour2 Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    My 2003 denali's headlights flicker when I'm driving over 55 mph, But only when I am making a left or right hand curve.
    My windshield wipers stop working completely along with the washer, Then they start up again, and work fine for awhile. I'm wondering if the problems could be related in the steering colume switch?
  • I have a 2004 Yukon with radio/no sound issue. Normally when you cut the motor off for a few minutes the radio/sound will come back on after re-cranking car. Now I am getting no sound at all, but display on radio is still denoting stations and volume indicator, even though I am getting no sound from speakers. I did a search and was wondering if reflashing body control module will fix problem?? If so, do I have to go to dealer to reflash or can I do it myself??
  • mb04mb04 Posts: 2
    I have a 02 Denalli XL that sometimes when I try to start it will make a click sound and my whole truck will have no power, not the power locks, lights, gauges, nothing. I will have to pop my hood and tap my fuse box and wiggle the positive battery cable and sometimes shake my truck before power will be restored and I can start my truck. It sounds to me like a short at the fuse panel? It does this sometimes very weird. Love my truck other wise. It's a all wheel drive. The postive/negative battery cable has been removed cleaned and tightened. Please help. Thank you in advance.
  • I have a 2004 Denali that blows the 10 amp left turn fuse when the signal is activated/hazards.
    I have unpluged the bulbs and still same result. If I use a 20 amp fuse it will last for 2 or 3 months before it blows again. It will blow immediatley when a 10 amp fuse is installed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • gmc2badgmc2bad Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    recent decided to give american product a chance. purchased used 07 gmc from gmc dealership. headsets broken on video player, sales person acted like he didn't give a sh$%t after I signed the paper work. Major problem is vehicle will not start. Have to get out open hood and shake battery cable- thought it was battery, had veh checked out a dealer and was told is fine. Have had 22 incidents where veh will not start. Have appointment again w/ gmc dealer. I'm sure they are going to say its fine. I will not be a promoter for gmc w/ this history
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    gmc2bad,
    How are things going with your vehicle? What happened at the dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dovenshiredovenshire Posts: 1
    My wifes 2007 Yukon Denali is completely dead, no ding when the key is in, no overhead lights, nothing. I am thinking it is the fusible link but I cannot find it. Does anyone know where it is located, or any other suggestions? :sick:
  • skimbrouskimbrou Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem, did you get an answer or fix to the problem?
  • arlow1arlow1 Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 Yukon with electrical issues. At random times we will come back to the vehicle being totally dead. No lights, locks, key fob doesn't work and no reaction at all when key is in the ignition. Then, after a while the car will "magically" start and everything works fine. Have had battery replaced, door handle replaced, mega fuse replaced and nothing has worked to this point. GMC can't replicate problem and can't catch it to diagnose it. Any thoughts?
    arlow1,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • kts0347kts0347 Posts: 44
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali that is developing some typical electronic problems, as described in this forum.

One of the complaints is that the right rear door ajar message comes on even though the door isn't ajar. I replaced the sender switch in the door a while back and that cured the problem for six months. Now it's back. So far it's an annoyance. I just press the arrow button on the steering wheel and it stops displaying, and I turn off the interior dome lights so they aren't on continuously. But now other symptoms are occurring. The door locks now only work after I push the remote twice. The first push only causes a chime to sound. On the second push the normal sequence of locking events occurs.

I've read that the Body Control Module might be acting up. So I'm suspicious of this. However, I've been told that the BCM has to be programmed to my VIN, so it doesn't sound like a driveway replacement, even if I bought one on the net. And, a local mechanic has cautioned that it could be any number of things, and not to get focused on the BCM. So I'm pretty confused at this point, and don't want to just replace the door switch module again, that's obviously temporary.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong, and how to tackle the job of making it right?

Thanks for all your help.

Keith
    :confuse:
    Got a possible on a negative battery cable replacement. GMC said they have seen same thing 3 times and this has fixed all three problems. We will see!
  • carriek14carriek14 Posts: 1
    @ arlow1 - I'm having the same issue with my 2001 Yukon and I'm curious if replacing the negative battery cable worked for you. Can you let me know?
    It did get fixed but I don't know if it is really fixed yet. My electrical problem only happened every once in a while so not sure yet. The GMC Dealer, who I know so I don't think he is blowing smoke, said this is the fifth time he has seen this same problem and the other four are fixed with no issues. He seems confident but said if it doesn't work to bring it back in.
  • tbos1tbos1 Posts: 1
    Every time I start my 2004 Yukon it resets the clock and the language used for the dash, sometimes my information is in french sometimes english and then spanish never know what you might get, the memory seats reset , and sometime the radio is on but no sound, now the brake light and abs light comes on dings and then goes off, the rear door is open message displays even when we have close it, any one else with this is it the Body Control Module ???
  • my truck did this and it turned out to be my starter silyond
  • fwzfwz Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here and glad I found this furom.

I recently bought a 2011 Denali, 3 months ago. Now my radio/stereo/nav does not work. It has no power. I try to turn it on but it is stuck on the blue screen with the clock. I am planning to take it to the dealer soon, when I have time. Any idea what might be the problem?

It did this problem once before while I was driving the radio died, but started working the next day. This time 4 days no luck.
    fwz,

Congratulations on your purchase! Please keep me posted when you have taken the vehicle in to the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2000 denali SUV and for some reason my back doors are not opening. They used to work fine, and now they are giving me problems. I have tried hitting the button on the inside passenger side rear panel and everything. I have unlocked and locked the doors several times, to try and "trigger" it. They will randomly work, but they seal themselfs shut the majority of the time. for some reason my igniton key does not work on the back door panels. Any suggestions?
  • fwzfwz Posts: 2
    I previously posted about my entertainment system not working. I have taken it to the dealership, the guy told me it needs to be removed and sent to be fixed. A week later he called and said it was faulty and they replaced it. I got back and they installed the new one. He didnt have a clear answer of what happened just that it was faulty. Now works fine.
  • 68gtxman68gtxman Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    I went outside last night and found my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL flashing the headlights and clicking noises coming from under the hood even though it had been parked and un-touched for more than 24 hours. The door locks would not release with the remote fob. I put the key into the ignition and tried to start it but it wouldn’t even click, but the flashing headlights stopped. I checked the battery then and it was 7.5 volts and obviously dead. I put a trickle charger on it and went out for 4 hours. When I later checked it, the battery was even lower voltage and the light on the trickle charger was out (meaning there was either a short or high drain). I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected the battery charger. The battery is 5 months old and is the top of the line model. What can I expect when I go home tonight and reconnect the battery cable? Is there a short in the starting system (and if so, why would it engage completely by itself)?
  • My volt meter is not reading correctly, when I start the engine it goes to the correct reading of 14.2 volts, but as I drive it drops slowly, sometimes all the way down to 9 volts. I can turn off the engine, and restart, and the gauge works again with the same results. I have put a volt meter on the battery with the vehicle running, and the volt meter on the dash showing 9 volts, however my volt meter on the battery is showing 14.2 volts, and with the vehicle turned off I have a reading of 12.6 volts at the battery. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be great!!!
  • Apparently the battery died due to an intermittant alternator problem (128K miles). I've heard from others that a dying battery can cause the crazy symptoms I had. The new alternator (and a recharged battery) seems to have cured my problems.
  • My 2000 denali is doing the same thing with 103,000 miles. Was this problem expensive to fix and should I take it to the dealer? I am about to trade it in. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • We were having lots of electrical issues, lots of tries to fix, and finally a GMC dealer replaced the negative battery cable, for free, and we have had not had any issues for 6 months!!
  • The new alternator did solve the problem. I had the old one tested at Sears and the manager told me it passed the test, as did the battery. Then when I went to drive it out, the tech who performed the test told me that the alternator was intermittent (thanks service manager!). After I manually recharged the battery and replaced the alternator, all the problems went away.

I believe that I still have a ghost problem where the starter won't engage for up to several days, but letting it sit for a long period, it then starts working again. Even switching out the relay didn't solve the problem. I believe it is not even starter related. I'll bet the computer controls it because if you turn the key for just a millisecond, the starter will engage until the engine starts, or if you hold the key to crank too long, the starter disengages immediately after it starts (instead of grinding the starter drive gear). In a year and a half, it's only done this 3 times. I tried to replace the starter, but the oil dipstick tube prevented me from getting the old one out. This probably needs to be removed, even though the service manual doesn't mention it.

Good luck to you!
  • I own a 2003 Denali and have had the same electrical problems as others have stated. It has been in the shop multiple times due to the fact that after leaving it off for a few hours, I would go to start it and it would have a dead battery. I have had a new altenator, 2 new batteries, new starter, been to multiple "experts", all to no avail (not to mention, i've had to pay for all of this, in my mind, "needless work", since the problem continues. Most recently, my enire instrument panel has died as well. As I type, the truck is in the shop getting the instrument panel repaired/replaced and also checking on the battery drain problem as well. It is so frustrating and I wish I would of gotten rid of this truck a long time ago. It's a shame because I really do like the truck, just not the electrical problems. I hope someone who has had this problem can help. (I read about the negative battery cable and i'm going to try that next)