Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, XL Electrical Problems

123457»

Comments

• The battery on our 2002 GMC Yukon Denali is being drained by something electrical causing me to jump the battery after sitting overnight. I also had a service ride control indicator (took the car to a mechanic - who changed it out) . Fixed that indicator bur the car still drains the battery overnight. Does anyone know of anyway that I could use a meter to identify the short. The only thing that I can think of to find the problem is to remove a fuse for each system until I identify the problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 49,890
    That is the basic method but first you need to get a volt/ohm meter to hook up to the battery so that you know a) the amount of drain in amps or milliamps and b) when you've pulled the correct fuse.

A draw of any more than say 50 milliamps is unacceptable.

To be really thorough about it, you should, prior to testing, have your battery load-tested and your charging system checked. Any battery over 5 years old is suspect and if your volt/ohm meter doesn't show much of a current draw, you know the problem is not a drain but perhaps a weak battery, weak alternator, or your driving habits (that is, short trips in cold weather, things like that).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

123457»