Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertising Fees

1141516171820»

Comments

• dbgindydbgindy Posts: 351
    CarMan is dead on. Find the model you want with the options you want and strive for an OTD ( out the door) price that works for both you and the dealer. They can break it down however they like as long as the OTD works for you...

Duncan
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ....... But .... like Bobst recommends, that ad fee has to be charged, the dealer pays it and it does have to be passed on, it's a cost the manufacturer drops on the dealer, especially now with the fall sales blitz thats on tv 28 times a day and it should run "around" $175 ..

Terry.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    What would the proper advertising fee be on a Hyundai Tiburon SE in the DC metro area? Dealer claims it is $500 which I think is total BS.

Thanks.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Like these folks are saying, forget about the fee. Figure out the max you're willing to pay for the car, out-the-door (OTD) including everything - tax, title, license, doc fee, cleaning fee, owner's mistress fee, whatever. Start with an offer about $500 below that and work you're way up. If you want to start at Edmund's invoice plus tax and no fees, go ahead. The dealer probably won't accept it, but at least you've got a starting point. But you have to figure out for yourself the max you're willing to go. You can do that by looking at TMV and reading the Hyundai forums. It just makes life easier than arguing with the salesperson over whether one fee or another is "valid".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,872
    It makes life easier, but some people like to know what they're paying for which items - cost of the car, fees, taxes. I like to aim for TMV or slightly lower, plus reasonable fees. Everyone has a different negotiating style that suits him/her, so if OTD only is your bag, then go for it!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Well, in a way you're doing an itemized OTD, lol. You've predetermined what you think a reasonable fee is, so if the dealer's fees are $200 higher than that they'll have to lower the price on the car to earn your business.
    I'd really like to know what the actual fee is. The dealer showed me an "invoice" with $500 on it, which I think is total BS. Would like to know one way or the other.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    Assuming you are looking at a GT Tiburon, 500 seems accurate. I'm in pittsburgh and I know this can vary by region, but my GTs have advertising of 500, my 4cyls have advertising of 471.
    Wow, that shocks the heck out of me, that's more than 2% of the MSRP.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    It is. I guess we don't distinguish whether it is high or not because as a dealer it is not negotiable with the manufacturer.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,420
    When a dealer trades a car with another dealer and one dealer has a regional ad fee but the other one doesn't, which car carries the ads fee when sold? Would it be the dealer who originally had the ad fee or the dealer who received the car from that dealer?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Ad fee goes with the car so for example if I do a swap with a New York market dealer their ad fee is higher then mine so I lose out on a little bit of gross profit.

If I do a swap with a Virginia Market dealer they have no ad fee so they get screwed with my 300 dollar one and I get a little extra gross.
This discussion has been closed.