Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• lilred04lilred04 Posts: 3
    the propeller shaft and slip joint didn't seperate, you might be right about the correct torque and sequence, son said he didn't, and never has. is it pretty important? changed out plenty of clutches and never really used a torque wrench on them. but also never had this problem! vibration seems to be worse. sure we didn't damage the splines, didn't fight with it that much to get the transmission back in. imput is appreciated.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    edited April 2010
    .................you might be right about the correct torque and sequence, son said he didn't, and never has. is it pretty important? changed out plenty of clutches and never really used a torque wrench on them.

How can I put this politely? The days of tightening bolts by feel, setting clearances by eye, and tuning engines by ear are long gone (unless maybe you're working on vehicles from that long gone era).
    It'll come back to bite you in the end, whether that's the case here or not.

Although I still think you'll have to remove the transmission again, here's another couple of questions:
    1: Is it a four or six cylinder engine?
    2: Did you remove the flywheel at all?

Information from the factory manual attached. As you can see, Jeep think it's very important to make full use of a torque wrench ( and it certainly doesn't make you a sissy if you use one :P ).

• lilred04lilred04 Posts: 3
    4.0 6 cylinder. no we didn't remove the flywheel, reason being the clutch was fine the only reason i replaced it was the throw-out bearing was going out, so i just decided to replace the clutch. flywheel was fine.
    Both good answers. The 2.5 4 cylinder has a dual mass flywheel which can sometimes cause problems, and it's good that you didn't have to remove your flywheel.

I'm afraid that except to check the engine and transmission mounts to make sure one hasn't broken, I've got nothing more at this point.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Is your TJ lifted at all? Any body or motor lift?

-Paul
  • busman01busman01 Posts: 46
    No. It is a totally stock 2010 2dr Sahara.
  • jolibeejolibee Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    We have a 2010 Jeep and i cant believe already after 5mths we have issues with it. We have an automatic and it would only stay in 2nd gear and was hard to get it out of park sometime. On top of this, the AC was not cooling enough. Its at the dealership now, whats was really funny the guy in front of us inline was also having the same issue and he was only 3mths old. I couldnt find anyone else with the same problem on the net. Would anyone know why the transmission would be acting up.. a computer issue or a gearbox?
    ...why the transmission would be acting up.. a computer issue or a gearbox?

Most likely the transmission itself as you've got a problem with 'Park' as well.

Unfortunately, in recent years Jeeps have been suffering from QC and design issues, notable concerning steering (death wobble), hardtops (leaks), and both manual and automatic transmissions having assorted problems.

It doesn't make me happy to say it either. :(
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271
    It doesn't make me happy to say it either.

It's a real shame. My 1999 Sahara has over 106,000 miles on it, and aside from a few easily rectified problems -radiator seam leakage, exhaust manifold, intermittent gauges- it's been dead nuts reliable. My wife would like a new Islander, but the JK reliability history leads me to believe that owning one during the warranty period would be a pain, never mind keeping one with 100,000 miles under its wheels... :(

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

My 1999 Sahara has over 106,000 miles on it, and aside from a few easily rectified problems -radiator seam leakage, exhaust manifold, intermittent gauges- it's been dead nuts reliable.

Same with my '99 Sahara which I've owned from new and is just now approaching 100K.
    My issues have been exactly the same plus, I recently had a TPS and clockspring failure, and I also had to add a little Freon to the a/c yesterday for the first time in eleven years.

Hopefully you know how to fix your intermittent instruments by tweaking the pins for the round connector on the rear of the instrument panel.

I like to keep my vehicles for quite a while, but if the JK didn't have those basic flaws (for which nobody at Chrysler seems in a hurry to fix) I could have been very tempted by a new Rubicon.

However, I don't consider it a penance to continue with the Sahara, and I anticipate that it will do another eleven years/100K at minimal cost and with the same reliability if asked..
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Even my 97 TJ, the first model year for the TJ, has had fewer issues with it and I've beaten it up pretty good on and offroad.

Love the JK's looks, but the TJ, thus far, has seemed to weather the evolution better.

-Paul
  • Hi there, have been reading about various probs w Jeep transmissions, but didn't see anything that was exactly like our issue so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anybody is having same prob. We only just purchased an '08 Sahara Unlimited that constantly bogs down and revs up while driving. There are times when the gears don't want to shift so rather than burning up the tranny, you have to either punch it a bit or back off the gas so it'll switch. While on the highway, if you don't stand on the accelerator you just won't go anywhere! Even feeding it that much gas, it still moves in and out of gears, downshifting to 1.5 to 2k rpms while doing 65-70 (I'm wondering how long it's going to be before it starts stalling-because you definitely feel that you don't have much power!) and when trying to pass vehicles, standing all the while on the gas pedal it still downshifts! We've taken it to our local dealership and, of course, nothing shows up on the computer.

We had a Jeep mechanic from another website suggest to us that we should have a sweep test done on the Throttle Position Sensor which showed up as normal and while my husband was discussing lack of problem solving with the manager of the shop, the manager said he had just purchased a 2010 Unlimited X that was doing the same thing and had written several letters to Chrysler with no response. Awesome, huh? I've read on this and other sites that transmission replacement doesn't solve the problem so it's clearly either a fuel/throttle issue or some sort of sensor. I'm wondering also, if a performance chip wouldn't solve the problem.

Oh, and I've also had discussions with a gentleman who is selling his 2009 Sahara Unlimited because of the exact same issues and he had a Ripp Mod installed for over $6,000.00 (and something to do with the exhaust) and he said that fixed the problem, so if anybody out there knows what the Ripp Mod does and why that fixed the problem maybe we will know which direction to take in getting this resolved.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    I'm wondering also, if a performance chip wouldn't solve the problem.

This is a warranty issue pure and simple, don't let anyone try and make it your problem. Unless it's over the mileage you will still be under the standard 3yr/36K coverage.
    As for the shop manager, if it was a Jeep dealership then words fail me!
    If he can't take care of his own business how on earth can he help you?

Do not under any circumstances install an aftermarket chip of any sort.
    That would allow Chrysler/Jeep to void your transmission/powertrain warranty if they so choose. :mad:

You deal with pressuring your dealer and Jeep to get this fixed, let them deal with how to fix it........and don't get fobbed of with "Oh, they all do that!". :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271
    Hopefully you know how to fix your intermittent instruments by tweaking the pins for the round connector on the rear of the instrument panel.

Yep.

However, I don't consider it a penance to continue with the Sahara, and I anticipate that it will do another eleven years/100K at minimal cost and with the same reliability if asked...

Great minds think alike. I can't think of anything that I'd want to replace it with.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• pete0777pete0777 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 wrangler X and it has been making a strange creaking, straining, knocking type noise coming out of 1st gear. any advice for me?
  • genommengenommen Posts: 1
    I just started having the exact same issue a few days ago. Did you ever find out anything else about this?
    Took mine to the dealers and its like they were expecting me. They replaced a chip as it was a computer issue not a transmission- phew. The ac is working a tad better but i dont think its the best still. I am not a AC person either so lucky cos i be taking it back and complaining again.
  • I made five trips to two different dealers (first one told me to let it break so they knew what to fix). The CVI was adjusted which burnt a clutch pac, forced a complete rebuild, then a temp sensor wiring fix and finally (speaking as an optimist) a computer replacement. The transmission has been shifting fine for 100 miles.
  • Yes, tell the dealership to look up the TSB report 21-000-10 Rev. A.
    Was this on a new jeep? Your temp sensor- was it sometimes not showing the right temperature? I've had this happen once.. but i am assuming this would affect the ac performance? I know with my previous car(BMW) the temp sensor was broken and so the AC was not producing cold cos it said it was -40F outside... i lived in Florida and it was really 90F.