Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• rebel99757rebel99757 Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Hey ya'll,

I've always come to this forum for answers on how to fix the ol' Jeeperoo whenever it had problems (thankfully that hasn't been too often). Now my Jeep and I have a major boo-boo, namely on the automatic transmission bone. I went trail riding yesterday in the Blue Ridge Mountains (Dictums Ridge to be exact) and did some slight (and I mean very slight, nothing insane) rock crawling. No problems. Then about half way through the trail I decided to go swimming in the mud puddle and ended up getting stuck. The water never came high enough to even touch the air intake, so I'm not worried about having hydro-locked the engine. My buddy towed me out after I tried to free myself by doing the forward/reverse tango in 4-low. I got free of the pit, pulled off to the side and parked it, no problem. Then, after my Jeep had been sitting for half an hour cooling off, I started it up again and went up the trail which was rocky with a decent incline. Close to the top, the Jeeper would not go any further. It was as if it were in neutral. I figured the tranny was overheating, so I parked it and let it cool for a while (although it had already cooled and only drove a short way up the hill). At any rate the same story kept happening all the way down the trail, and my buddy ended up towing me the 5 miles out (quite a ride without power steering or power brakes). Anyways, from paved road driving yesterday and today I was able to determine that it has immense trouble shifting gears, up or down. When I came off the interstate and slowed down, it wouldn't come out of overdrive and stalled out. Also I tried putting it in 1st gear at a traffic light and it stalled out. I flushed the transmission today and put new AFT in it, still no cigar. Also, after inspecting the transmission there were no bumps or dents or cracks from hitting rocks. I have the feeling this could have happened on a paved road just as well as a trail.
    I have the creeping premonition that the tranny is going out, which is no good news to my bank account. Any help, suggestions, or questions are very welcome!

Yours truly,
    Alex
    :sick:

P.S. in the horrible case that the tranny does go out, how difficult would it be to install a manual in place of the automatic transmission? i figure it would be cheaper, and more fun than driving an automatic.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Then about half way through the trail I decided to go swimming in the mud puddle and ended up getting stuck. The water never came high enough to even touch the air intake.........

No, but it will have been high enough to be thrown into the transmission breather by the spinning torque converter and flexplate.
    I'm sorry to say you almost certainly have water in the transmission, which will require its removal and a complete rebuild.......but that will almost certainly be cheaper than installing a manual one in its place.

If do want to do the swap it will require a manual transmission with shift lever and interior console, together with a crankshaft pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch and release mechanism, pedal assembly and hydraulics, plus various sundry minor items and a whole lot of labor.
  • Hi, recently I have needed to get to about 3500-4000 rpm before my Wrangler would shift into the next gear. Someone I know was mentioning aome vacuum that may have been failing and the jeep was acting like it has a govenor to make it shift at the high rpms? Can this be true? I can't find anything on the transmission, in books, online or anything. Help!
  • shrek12shrek12 Posts: 3
    Has anyone had issues with the first start of the day waiting to shift out of park? I have an 07 Wrangler and the last few weeks it takes a few pumps with the brakes to get the shifter out of park and the rest of the day is good. A vacuum issue?
    There are several possibilities, although as there's no vacuum connection to the transmission you can rule low vacuum out. ;)

It could be as simple as the throttle to transmission cable badly out of adjustment.
    It could also be that the fluid level is too low or that you're using the wrong fluid; you must use ATF+4.
    The oil pump could be worn, requiring high revs before it builds enough pressure.
    Maybe the transmission hasn't been serviced as it should and the filter is blocked and/or the bands need adjustment.
    Finally, it could just be that the transmission is worn throughout and needs rebuilding.

First, adjust the cable. Then, if there's any possibility it may have had any other fluid than ATF+4 added, have a shop completely flush and renew the fluid.
    Next, drop the pan and replace the filter and adjust the bands (do this afterwards if you're having the transmission flushed.

Depending on which engine you have you've got a 30RH or 32RH transmission, which is the final development of the TF999.
    As long as it's not overheated, is serviced properly and at the correct intervals, it should last the life of the engine, i.e. 150-200K miles without needing repair.

However, all automatic transmissions are sensitive to abuse, especially overheating and contamination.
    ....it takes a few pumps with the brakes to get the shifter out of park and the rest of the day is good. A vacuum issue?

No, it's a brake/shifter interlock cable issue. Probably just needs adjustment.
  • Discovered that Chrysler trannies are different when we owned a CRD. Lots of chatter there about tranny fluid pumps, torque converters, solenoid packs etc.

Probably just first startup normal. Let fluid pressure build and solenoids to do their clicking. Start up in the morning count to three or whatever and you should be good to go. Our '09 Rubicon likes a second or two wait in the morning also. This is assuming the '07 is new to you or you finally want it resolved or it is getting worse and someone needs to look at the fluid and take note of the mileage.
  • yes i just bought a 95 wrnagler with a 2.5 4 cyl,and a auto transmission,i took it to the wood's and it did great,i didnt beat it that bad i mean it's a jeep,the jeep was owned by my aunt since new and was never put in 4wd. i took it through some deep water which fried my starter and i had to trailor it home,i then put a new starter and it ran fine did shift a lil hard but ran good,i went out to my friends house and worked a bit and had my wife pick my up,i left the jeep sitting for 4 day's,when i picked it up it still ran fine,i made it about half way home and it started messing up,i pulled over in a gas station and checked the fluid it was fine,i went i mile down the road and it started acting up like almost free spinning,i shut it down and let it sit for a while and then tried again it ran for about 75 feet and then again started spinning,i had a friend trailor it home once again and its been sitting inj my shed since it seems to work for about 20 feet when it cold once it warms up thats it,it dont wanna move i got 157,000 miles on the jeep which my aunt put a new top end on last year i really dont have money for a expensive tranny rebuild,any help will be greatly apprecitated,could it maybe be something more simple like a toruqe convertor or just need to be serviced? :mad: :mad: :cry: :mad:
    ..........i took it through some deep water.............

Water entered the transmission through the breather. Unfortunately, the transmission will now need to be removed and rebuilt, the transmission cooler in the radiator will need to be flushed, and the torque converter replaced.
  • :sick: jeep wrangler 4speed 4x4 4cyl 1995 acts like still in gear when in nuetral you can literally watch the gear shift bounce as you approach the red light, doesn't matter if you push the clutch all the way in or not at all, this is in nuetral shift stick bounces around and jeep makes a loud clunking noise like something must be really loose
  • when cold my 87 wrangler shifts ok when warm it wont shift and if it does it skips secound. what can i do what may my problems be? please help :
  • Another forum burped an over-heated fluid post. Some brag about temps kept to below 170 degrees. Saw a post elsewhere where non-US vehicles get a factory/dealer installed cooler for the fix not just an idiot light. Believe that 185 degrees is the factory operating temperature for the tranny. Maybe the design should have been a thin cooler behind the radiator, three coils-a/c, coolant, and tranny cooler.
  • I have a Jeep Wrangler and the transmission is making a popping sound in reverse only, Hard to put in 1st and reverse. when going grinds when shifting into gear. any suggestions!!!!
  • Hello, new to the form. I have a 1986 cherokee lorado with the 2.8L v6. My tranny started making like a grinding,wizzing sound going down the hiway. After that it felt like you was pumping the brake. It quit doing that and now its just making those sounds. It still shifts alright. Could anybody tell me whats going on.Onemore thing, will a tranny from a 84 cherokee that had a four cyl. fit the 2.8. Thanks alot for the help
  • I have a 2008 wrangler 4 door that is starting to pop out of 1st gear when starting up from a standstill. The shifter physically pops out of gear. Other gears are no problem. Recently had to change clutch and shift linkage. Suggestions as to the problem and solution would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Jeep has a TSB out on this. They replace the 1st gear syncho with a larger one. It seems to have corrected the problem. Check with your retailer.

Good luck.
  • We bought a brand new 2008 Jeep Wrangler X manual transmission, 2 door. We now have our 5th transmission. The first one slipped out of reverse, it took me a year & 1/2 to convince the dealership that it was doing this. The second one slipped out of first gear, number three rattled so much that I prayed that I would make it home every time I drove it (I use it to commute 120 miles of open highway a day). The fourth one made even more noise. If you hit a bump with the front drivers side tire it feels like you have blown a tire and it shakes so bad we have to stop driving it to make it quit shaking.
  • Do you have larger tires on your jeep? I have a 2005 wrangler as well and i drove it for two years now to have my tranny go into second gear at hyway speeds and stay there. i took it to the dealer and long story short i was told my tranny is slipping the pump, the clutches etc[$4000]. i didnt fall for that. i then asked and read forums . i changed the computer. [ my original code said trans controller]. no change but now an additional code, speed sensior, ok i changed that. same problem along with an additional code [3 codes now]. new code with new computer says my gear ratio is incorrect. my next step is to scan my Larger tire size into the computer. ill let you know what happens. I pray !
  • I can be driving along and its working normally and then it just gos from 3rdor even O/D to 2nd . this stated the same day I had the transmission flushed.any suggestions.
    It's a result of the debris stirred up and now deposited in the valve body by the flushing.