Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• guido31lguido31l Posts: 3
    edited February 2011
    I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon that has a knocking sound when I put it in gear. It is loudest when I put in gear and have my foot on the clutch. It is a 5 speed manual trasmission and it has a new throwout bearing. I've had the transmission opened up and the guy at the shop couldnt find anything wrong with it. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Is your transmission mount (which attaches to the plate underneath the Jeep) secured? There are 4 bolts that should secure it down. If it is secure, it is possible it is broken. It has been known to happen.

-Paul
  • the transmission mounts were fine. the transmission guys said the main bearing was fine and the gears looked great. I asked them to put a new clutch kit in while we had the transmission dropped, and still the same problem. At idle it sounds like a throw out bearing until i put my foot on the clutch and the noice disapears. the noise occurs while in and out of gear. the only way to stop it is to engage the clutch. it is loudest at idle in neutral with foot off the clutch.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's either a bearing or a gear, I'd guess a bearing as the transmission guys would have to have been really incompetent to have missed a chipped tooth.
  • Im going to drop it myself this weekend and take a look, thank you
  • I have a 4.0, 6-speed manual transmission, 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Since recently having the dealer replace the clutch and flywheel I have been experiencing a pronounced vibration in the vehicle at approximately 2500 rpms, regardless of which gear the car is in. The vibration is similar to the feeling of riding on unbalanced tires. The vibration significantly lessens above and below 2500 rpms.
    Answered the first time you posted this.
  • jsandlinjsandlin Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1988 jeep wrangler 5sp. manual transmission. I was having trouble shifting it into and out of gears, esp. 5th. I changed the master cylinder and slave plate. Today, i took it for a test drive. When the engine gets hot, the transmission sticks in 5th gear. It will not come out of 5th until I kill the engine for a couple minutes. When I crank back up, it goes into 1st gear fine and does this each time I start driving again.
  • boss45boss45 Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 1991 Sahara 4.0 manual. I can drive the jeep for about 10-15 minutes with everything shifting fine, but then when the jeep seems to be warmed up, I cannot shift into any gear.

Please help.

Thanks
    I would suspect the wrong oil in the transmission.
    When was it last changed, and what with?
  • boss45boss45 Posts: 2
    I had some local mechanics do some transmission work awhile back. I will check into this and see what they put in it. Thanks,
  • Hello Jeep Forum, I recently purchased a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, 22,000 miles, and I am on the 4th attempt to get the transmission fixed. A new transmission has arrived and will be installed on Monday.
    I hope it's a warranty claim and not coming out of your own pocket!
  • It is a warranty claim. It took them over two months to go this avenue. Unfortunately I had to send a complaint to the BBB and the Attorney General's office. We hope it fixes the problem! :mad:
  • Transmission in, Slave Cyliner leaking fluid!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • My 1995 Wrangler grinds when changing gears. I have replaced the clutch but this morning, I lost 5th gear. Is is better to rebuild my transmission or replace it and which is less expensive?
    Is is better to rebuild my transmission or replace it and which is less expensive?

If you can rebuild it yourself then that's the way to go, otherwise you need to get on the phone to local transmission shops and compare their prices and labor rates......check online too.
    There is no clear cut answer I'm afraid.
  • roadr91roadr91 Posts: 1
    I put my 92 jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive and only 3 wheels will spin, at first I figured it was just cause it is limited slip, but even after the passenger side front wheel was free spinning for several minutes, the driver side front never engaged, any ideas why this is?
    Both rear wheels spun because of the LSD in the rear axle.
    However the open diff in the front axle will always put power to the wheel with the least traction.
    One wheel will always spin more freely than the other on the same axle, usually because one disc brake is binding a little more than the other, therefore the diff will continue to send power to the wheel that spins the easiest.

I'm assuming this scenario takes place with all four wheels off the ground?
  • griffin71griffin71 Posts: 2
    While driving, the rpm's will shoot over 4000. I can pull over and turn the vehicle off and restart. It will drive fine for a couple of weeks, and then same issue. It has progressively gotten worse, only drive for a few miles now before it reoccurs. Talk to two jeep owners, and they said it was a bad sensor on or in the transmission on theirs. I don't know where to start. Anyone have any ideas?