Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• tc56tc56 Posts: 1
    .The overdrive light -switch turns itself off and on .You can feel the tranny going in and out of overdrive.This is on a 2005 right hand drive mail jeep.Any suggestions on why this is happening?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That sounds serious. I'd have it checked out ASAP if not sooner.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    tidester,

"if not sooner"?

Good one

Terry
  • codyscodys Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ w/manual transmission - 5 speed, 4 cyclinder. My 2nd gear grinds shifting up or down unless you shift very slow and easy. It's not a loud grind/growl but you can feel it and hear it. All the other gears are smooth. I just got my license and I don't want a broke down ride!

Can someone give me a "it could be" list?

Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If it grinds while shifting into or out of second then it's probably the brass synchromesh rings. If it growls while in second then it's probably the gears themselves.
    Either way, the transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to fix things.

Meanwhile, make sure the transmission is filled to the correct level with a GL-3 gear oil (not a GL-5 and not a "compatible with all transmissions" type).
    Check the old oil for metal filings. My guess is that you'll find brass from the synchro rings.

Finally, learn to double declutch. Now a lost art except with big rig drivers, it used to be the only way to change gear with a non-synchromesh transmission.
    Each time you hear it it grind, a little more metal wears away; double declutching will prevent that.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Like Mac said, repair time - it'll only get worse.

X2 on the GL-3. I use Redline MT-90 gear oil in my transmission and it really smoothed things out a LOT. It is a high quality synthetic. Royal Purple is another good one to use.

-Paul
  • Hello, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I get a noise that can only be charachterized as a "chachunk" and my check engine light comes on. My transmission will only stay in 2nd gear it seems like because when I start at a red light it is like having to start your manual tranny in 2nd. The O/D switch will not come on at all. Here is the weird part to me...I do the turn the key 3x thing and the code "P0303" comes up which I understand to be a misfire on the #3 cylinder. I then crank the Jeep back up and the check engine light goes away and the transmission shifts fine...back to normal as such...the O/D switch works fine. I am completely clueless at to what it could be...thanks for any help!!
    04 sport/A/T transmission/4L eng.
    I'd suggest running by Autozone for them to read ALL your codes. It kinda sounds like a Throttle position sensor with how sluggish it will run. But the transmission codes sound goofy. I had TPS problems too, but I have a manual so would not have experienced the transmission issue you saw.

If it is only a P0303 code, then I'd suggest wires, plugs, distributor/cap, all be checked and replaced as necessary.

-Paul
  • my 92 wrangler with 5 speed manual trans has just developed a noise in 3rd and 4th gear. the noise is load sensitive and sounds like a ball card rubbing a bike spoke. the sound is not really a metalic sound but more of a plastic thumpping. the noise could be in transfer case or trans. i wonder, has any one heard a simular noise. thanks
  • I tell a sad tale of a little AX-5 at heaven's gate. After 150,000 miles, the clutch began having problems. It started with a leaking master cylinder - couldn't disengage clutch. Replaced master cylinder and bled line - worked fine. Then, a few months later fluid began draining again. Checked bleeder valve and master cylinder - no obvious leaks. Kept refilling reservoir and that worked for a while. Synchros stopped working on reverse and 4th within a month, but with double - clutching, grind was almost eliminated on 4th. 6 months later, the synchro went on 1st and within a month she started popping out of first gear. This brings us to last week. I had a transmission and transaxle flush and fill done at the local EZ Lube for $120. Within a few days, synchro went out on 3rd. The next day, first gear wouldn't hold at all, even if the shifter was held in place. I'm making it to work and back by starting out from 2nd. At this rate, the clutch won't last another month. What is my cheapest option? I tried to find a rebuilt tranny online but to no avail. The cheapest new tranny is $1,300. A guy a couple of states away offered to overhaul it for $700, not including removal, shipping, and re-installation for which I have neither the tools nor expertise. How much should I expect to spend in Los Angeles to get my girl back on the road?
  • I can tell you all already I miss my 99 cherokee sport... anyway, I got A 2008 wrangler unlimited. 902 (pampered) miles.... check engine light already on... any ideas? Also, is the slight vibration in the steering wheel the newness, and is the engine so noisy?
  • Hi,
    I just had my '88 restored with a reman engine, new clutch, etc. This Jeep sat in my garage from 2000 until now. My mechanic can't get it to engage any gear and is worried about the transmission. Unfortunatly he's not a transmission repair guy and it's off to another shop. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Highly unlikely to be the transmission. It's almost certain that the clutch friction plate has become stuck to the flywheel. This is very common on manual transmissions that have stood for several years, or sometimes even just a few months if it's in a damp environment.
    There's also an outside chance that clutch hydraulics may have leaked, but that can easily be seen and felt.
  • I am thinking of buying a 2000 Wrangler Sport with a 5spd, only 64k on it. Transmision seems to pop out of first gear while takin off or......when it gets warmed up or there are more than one person in it it will not pop out. Otherwise it shifts fine. My boss (the owner of the Jeep) is around 400 lbs and when he drives it, it has never popped out of gear for him. If anyone can help that would be great! Please email me for the quickest reply. mldeanda@hotmail.com
    Please email me for the quickest reply. mxxxxxxa@hotmail.com

First, it's really not a good idea to post your email address in a public forum.

Second, the idea here is for everyone to be able to benefit from the questions and answers. Taking it to email makes that a little difficult.

Third, it's a known issue. I'd guess that the reason it doesn't jump out with your 400lb boss driving, or with a bunch of passengers, is that the gears are being held in mesh due to the heavy load on them.
    The fact that it will also stay in gear when the transmission is warmed up, and therefore when the lubricant is thinner and less viscous, indicates that changing to a synthetic oil might provide some temporary relief, though it won't be a permanent fix.

So, either negotiate a reduction in price to allow for the transmission to be fixed, or an increase in wages to achieve the same, or plan to put on several hundred pounds over the holiday. :)
  • Thanks,
    The mechanic had replaced the flywheel and installed a new clutch. It was a real headscratcher. I took it to the transmission shop and they said nope...but they were able to get it out of neutral and through all of the gears. But when it warmed up then another crazy noise was heard in the front part of the engine. It was a pretty bad knocking that sounded a lot like ignition pre-fire but wasn't. I had it towed to the eingine shop, the place that sold the motor to the shade tree mechanic that installed it and everything else. As it turned out the shade tree guy didn't compress the harmonic balancer enough, he used the wrong bolts somehere arounfd the timing chain and the belts to pully to alternator wasn'rt aligned properly. My new shop said they couldn't believe how loose stuff was. Anyway got it back running after 9 years.
    Thanks!
    Glad to hear you have it running again (and always beware of the shadetree mechanic!). :)
  • Help!

Purchased a 2004 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0, 5 speed, in April this year, 24,000 miles. Carfaxed it and it was clean. Car dealer replaced the ring & pinion for me. My question is what causes the transmission noise (?) when the clutch is released? When the clutch is depressed it stops. How to describe it? Grinding may be too harsh. Vibratiing? Chattering? The mechanic at the used car dealer claims it's the meshing of the gears. The service manager at the local Jeep dealership said the same thing. He even said the "new ones do it". Is this something to worry about? Is this American quality? Or is it "just a Jeep"? Thanks for anyone's input.

nomad443
  • I have a 88 wrangler with a 6" lift, but the transmission was never lowered. I recently broke the u joint straps twice in the last month, and will be switching to a new yoke and u bolts, but when I tried to drive home with the just the front wheels engaged it kept popping out of 4 wheel. I am worried that the worn yoke and broken straps may have to do something with the tranny too, not just the lift with no dropped tranny. Maybe too much vibration?
    Any ideas? Thanks.
    Yes, I suspect the vibration from your wildly misaligned propshafts is causing it to jump out of gear.

You need more than new a new yoke and 'U' bolts, The straps are breaking because they're being overloaded. If the 'U' bolts are strong enoughto remain intact then the 'U' joint will be the next to break.

Go HERE for a good explanation of your problem and how to fix it.
  • My transmission is hard to shift, especially when it is cold. It ets somewhat easier when the motor warms up, but even then its hard. Any suggestions?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,380
    Your transmission may be filled with the wrong type of gear oil. I suggest that you drain it and refill it with the correct oil.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Redline MT90 (manual) or MTL90 (automatic) are good choices. So is Royal Purple.

-Paul
  • ebessebess Posts: 1
    I have a 98 4clyinder 5 speed and was driving on the highway in 5th the other day when the gear just went out. All other gears work but I get nothing in 5th. No prior problems with the transmission, replaced the clutch in December 07.

Have I burned the gear up or is there a possibility it's something else?
    Have I burned the gear up or is there a possibility it's something else?

Whatever happened, it can't be fixed without removing and dismantling the transmission.
    If there's no additional noise from the transmission the cost of parts will likely be minimal, but the labor cost will be the same whatever the cause.
  • My son drives a 95 wrangler 4 cylinder 5 speed. When leaving work the other night he said he had trouble getting it to shift out of second gear. When it did come out, he said it "popped" out and now it is stuck in neutral and will not go into any gear. Any idea what the problem might be? Now he is driving his mothers car to work and she's not happy!
    Like the previous one, if it's a transmission problem then the transmission will have to be removed to fix it.

However, it's possible that it's a clutch problem, with the clutch not disengaging.
    Will it go into any gear with the engine off?
  • Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Since I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I have no idea other than pulling the tranny and having it checked out. I'm still hoping that someone can give me a good guess as to what's causing the noisy vibration when the clutch is engaged. I've been told by two service managers that it's nothing more than the gears meshing and that even new ones do it. My question to Chrysler would be "IS THIS JEEP QUALITY????" I had the ring & pinion replaced at 24,000. Thank God the used car dealer paid for that. Good luck with your son's problem.
  • mac24,

Tried what you suggested. It will go into any gear with the engine OFF. If it is just the gears meshing, it's just disconcerting that a vehicle with 27,000 miles (now) would seem to be such poor quality and makes all this vibration noise. Gee, having grown up in the muscle car era and having owned 3 GTOs, a 455 T/A, and a '64 Corvette, none of these cars ever had this problem.

Thanks again for your help.
    nomad443
    Tried what you suggested. It will go into any gear with the engine OFF.

Hi nomad443,

I was actually replying to post #124 by hank25. Looking at your original post #115, it sounds like the classic symptom of a bad transmission bearing, probably the one on the input shaft.
    When the clutch pedal is depressed the input shaft is disconnected from the engine and stops turning. However, whether it's the bearing or the gear itself, the transmission has to come out to examine and replace it.

Two points, if 'they all do that' challenge the service manager to demonstrate it to you on a new Wrangler; and I'd question how gentle the first 24K miles were if one of the axles required a new r&p.