Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• vepr223vepr223 Posts: 5
    The smallest amount of air could cause the issue. Bleed the slave through a clear hose and have someone assist. I would gravity bleed first. Is it an internal or external slave? If internal did you remove the slave? If so, did you make sure to use a new clip on the alignment pin?
  • cr1412cr1412 Posts: 1
    Just recently had automatic transmission replaced with remanufactured tranny from Chrysler on my 1997 Sahara. I picked up the vehicle and all appeared okay. But no more than 15 miles from the dealer, I started hearing a clicking noise. I was almost home, so I kept going- but when I hit 50 mph or so, I heard such a screaming noise from the engine that my friend driving behind me (he drove me to the dealer) heard it over his radio. I immediately pulled over, and the screaming noise stopped, and then it appeared to be fine. We had it towed back up to the dealer, and of course they cannot recreate the noise. With the combination of clicking and then the whining scream, could it be that it was not the transmission in the first place? I have already spent 2k and am not in the mood to hear they "made a mistake", but I am really worried this might perhaps be the transfer case?
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Way too late for a meaningful response to you since by now you've likely found the culprit...your experience sounded like one I had with a Chevy Beretta in the 1990s...ended up being a spring in the rear drum brakes got dislodged after some service work and was getting jammed between rotating metal in the drum brake assembly...made quite the scream until I stopped or after being in reverse until I figured it out. Hope you got it figured out.
  • jeepmikejeepmike Posts: 3
    I have a '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 4.0 automatic transmission.
    60K miles - driven as a recreational vehicle.
    Correct trans fluids are used and all levels are optimal.

The past year, my jeep is having issues at start up. It will engage in drive and then slip out. If I move down to the 2 gear, same issue. The only gear it seems to hold is 1...but that is now starting to become suspect. This issue only happens when the engine is cold and primarily in the morning. It rarely happens when warm out and/or later in the day.

I have seen similar posts, but have not seen any suggestions as to what the matter is. Anyone have any idea? Thanks for your insight.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    The only thing I can think of is the fluid. I can't recall exactly the situation (MAC???), but there is a type of fluid you do NOT want to put in your transmission as it can deteriorate the gears. This is what it sounds like. Since you have an auto, I'd go ahead and drain the fluid, and put in some GOOD transmission fluid. I use Redline MT90 in my manual. MTL90 is for the automatics. This is primo stuff. Royal Purple would be another excellent choice. If the fluid change doesn't address the problems, it may indeed be gears wearing out and needing replacement.

-Paul
    Thanks for the info Paul. I'll do a fluid flush and fill with your recommendation and see what happens.

What affect on the gears would cold weather have? This really only happens in the mornings upon start up. After about 5 mins or so everything works just perfect. It's getting to that 5 mins that is troublesome.

One more thing: Could it have anything to do with any seals or rubber rings maybe drying out or stiffening up? Then once the the engine runs for a bit they loosen back up and the system is good to go.

What about a solenoid valve sticking? Could tightening the linkage help out?

-Thanks for your time,
    Mike
    Cold generally affects the viscosity of the fluids, which could exhibit symptoms you see. Redline works very quickly and I've never noticed a slipping like you are noting.

Seals and rings are probably something you should at least look at and make sure you have no leaks. If it isn't leaking, don't fix it. :) Not sure about the solenoid valve, but tightening the linkage MIGHT be something to at least look at.

You may also want to consider changing your transfer case fluid as well. Since it is actually what drives the driveshaft and axles, doing that fluid certainly can't hurt. I believe it uses ATF+ (I used Mobil 1 if I recall correctly).

-Paul
    Thank you sir.

I will look into all of these and report back as I find the solution.

I appreciate your time.

-Mike
  • I got an auto wrangler TJ for a great price with a lift and 35's and I recently took it off road and noticed an issue with the trans. When parked on a hill or a steep driveway with the front facing up the hill, when you shift from drive or park into reverse the trans makes a slamming sound as well as a thud feel. I have never owned a auto trans before. what might this be? It shifts fine on the highway or when shifting into reverse on level ground. I appreciate any info. Thanks
  • asr52497asr52497 Posts: 1
    Ok, have an issue that just crept up. Have a 97 wrangler, started making a terrible metallic 'grinding' noise today. Noticed that engine running in park or neutral, no noise. Try drive, reverse (or 1st or 2nd) and terrible noise returns. Now, even in park, jeep rolls downhill, with an audible 'clunk' every wheel rotation or so. Trans fluid appears normal color, level and odor.

Any thoughts?
  • tc56tc56 Posts: 1
    .The overdrive light -switch turns itself off and on .You can feel the tranny going in and out of overdrive.This is on a 2005 right hand drive mail jeep.Any suggestions on why this is happening?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That sounds serious. I'd have it checked out ASAP if not sooner.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    tidester,

"if not sooner"?

Good one

Terry
  • codyscodys Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ w/manual transmission - 5 speed, 4 cyclinder. My 2nd gear grinds shifting up or down unless you shift very slow and easy. It's not a loud grind/growl but you can feel it and hear it. All the other gears are smooth. I just got my license and I don't want a broke down ride!

Can someone give me a "it could be" list?

Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If it grinds while shifting into or out of second then it's probably the brass synchromesh rings. If it growls while in second then it's probably the gears themselves.
    Either way, the transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to fix things.

Meanwhile, make sure the transmission is filled to the correct level with a GL-3 gear oil (not a GL-5 and not a "compatible with all transmissions" type).
    Check the old oil for metal filings. My guess is that you'll find brass from the synchro rings.

Finally, learn to double declutch. Now a lost art except with big rig drivers, it used to be the only way to change gear with a non-synchromesh transmission.
    Each time you hear it it grind, a little more metal wears away; double declutching will prevent that.
    Like Mac said, repair time - it'll only get worse.

X2 on the GL-3. I use Redline MT-90 gear oil in my transmission and it really smoothed things out a LOT. It is a high quality synthetic. Royal Purple is another good one to use.

-Paul
  • Hello, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I get a noise that can only be charachterized as a "chachunk" and my check engine light comes on. My transmission will only stay in 2nd gear it seems like because when I start at a red light it is like having to start your manual tranny in 2nd. The O/D switch will not come on at all. Here is the weird part to me...I do the turn the key 3x thing and the code "P0303" comes up which I understand to be a misfire on the #3 cylinder. I then crank the Jeep back up and the check engine light goes away and the transmission shifts fine...back to normal as such...the O/D switch works fine. I am completely clueless at to what it could be...thanks for any help!!
    04 sport/A/T transmission/4L eng.
    I'd suggest running by Autozone for them to read ALL your codes. It kinda sounds like a Throttle position sensor with how sluggish it will run. But the transmission codes sound goofy. I had TPS problems too, but I have a manual so would not have experienced the transmission issue you saw.

If it is only a P0303 code, then I'd suggest wires, plugs, distributor/cap, all be checked and replaced as necessary.

-Paul
  • my 92 wrangler with 5 speed manual trans has just developed a noise in 3rd and 4th gear. the noise is load sensitive and sounds like a ball card rubbing a bike spoke. the sound is not really a metalic sound but more of a plastic thumpping. the noise could be in transfer case or trans. i wonder, has any one heard a simular noise. thanks
  • I tell a sad tale of a little AX-5 at heaven's gate. After 150,000 miles, the clutch began having problems. It started with a leaking master cylinder - couldn't disengage clutch. Replaced master cylinder and bled line - worked fine. Then, a few months later fluid began draining again. Checked bleeder valve and master cylinder - no obvious leaks. Kept refilling reservoir and that worked for a while. Synchros stopped working on reverse and 4th within a month, but with double - clutching, grind was almost eliminated on 4th. 6 months later, the synchro went on 1st and within a month she started popping out of first gear. This brings us to last week. I had a transmission and transaxle flush and fill done at the local EZ Lube for $120. Within a few days, synchro went out on 3rd. The next day, first gear wouldn't hold at all, even if the shifter was held in place. I'm making it to work and back by starting out from 2nd. At this rate, the clutch won't last another month. What is my cheapest option? I tried to find a rebuilt tranny online but to no avail. The cheapest new tranny is $1,300. A guy a couple of states away offered to overhaul it for $700, not including removal, shipping, and re-installation for which I have neither the tools nor expertise. How much should I expect to spend in Los Angeles to get my girl back on the road?