Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• randy0730randy0730 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have an 04 Wrangler. it is not very good on the highway as it continues to shift in and out of 4th gear. I have the 4.0 engine and the tires are not very big 31 x 10.5 x 15. the mileage on the jeep is 61K. Compression is good in all the cylinders. But going up average hills on the interstates (Alabama) it will shift down into 3rd at 60 mph. Is there an auto 5 speed that will rectify this or what is the next step/move?

thanks

rc
  • long44long44 Posts: 3
    i own a 1987 jeep wrangler laredo and i have been having a really bad leak in my transmission , it pours ATF all over the ground and i have tried replacing the gasket on the pan and that didnt work, any one have any experience with this?
    i have a 1987 wrangler and i have the auto trany, it has been leaking ATF like crazy so i replaced the gasket and it didnt help, any sugestions
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I haven't done it myself, but I understand that positioning the gasket properly is VERY critical. And if there is any warping of the metal, you have more serious problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It would also help if you said from where on the transmission the fluid is leaking.
    There are many other places besides the pan joint that it can appear from.
    well i pulled it apart yesterday and realized now that it leaking from the linkage rod on the top of the tranny, i pulled the rod off the get to the seal and when i hooked it back up now it wont shift at all and it wont even start. :mad:
  • rube5rube5 Posts: 2
    The noise upon shutting off the engine, I can live with. I believe it is a "Jeep thing", but the noise in Neutral gear is annoying. Thanks for your reply.
  • rootsarfrootsarf Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a jeep wrangler 2000 with transmission problem, I need to know if the transmission from a 6 cylinder same year is compatible.
  • rokabilyrokabily Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 sport with 66,000 5 speed tranny.i just replaced the master and slave cylinder with factory parts but the problem remains the same .whenever it gets hot the clutch will not fully disengage so i have a lot of trouble getting it in and out of gear but if it sits over night its fine until it gets hot again
  • I just purchased an '03 Saraha, 5-speed, 6 cyl.. I drives great, no jumping out of gear, shifts smooth however, it sometimes (about 50% of the time), sounds as though the throw-out bearing is going out. When I 'm stopped and engage the clutch the noise quits. Throw-out bearing, right? I had two very good mechanics who both had similar jeeps, look and listen to it. Naturally, it didn't make a sound.
    They both told me that my year(s) and model jeep are notorious for tranny noise and not to worry too much about it. Back in 1991 I owned a brand new GMC with a 5-speed standard tranny with almost identical sound problems...the GMC mechanic told me this: It's an aluminum transmission box that resonates sound more than cast iron, the gears have much closer tolerances than the old transmissions and because needle bearings are used, automatic transmission fluid takes the place of 80-90 all purpose. Thus more noise will be heard. He cured the problem by draining a pint of auto trans fluid and added some "Morley's" stabilizer.
    Has anyone heard of doing this with the Jeep transmission or adding a Lucas or some other brand stabilizer?
  • snellensnellen Posts: 1
    This morning when I started to back up the jeep, it wouldn’t move as if the brakes were on! Checked the emergency brake, it was off. Set it on and off to be sure. Still won’t move. Won’t go forward or backwards. In neutral, I cannot move it even by pushing it by hand. I tried shifting to 4wd, same. Put transmission in N, same. Won’t move. I jacked up the rear tires and they won’t move and they should. The front tire will rotate. I used the vehicle about a week ago and it ran fine and shifted fine. The 4wd and 4wd low also worked fine. I simply drove it into the garage and turned it off. Now it won’t budge. Details: 1991 Jeep Wrangler, 174k miles. Runs fine, no serious leaks, shifts fine, engine is strong.

Can’t get it to a shop unless I flat bed it. Expense!! Thoughts? Ideas on how to unlock the transmission so I can get it to a shop? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Do I have the tranny rebuilt or replaced? I am ready to purchase a master rebuild kit from quadratec and have the work done at my local shop but I want to make sure that this is the right move. Replies welcome
    Ideas on how to unlock the transmission so I can get it to a shop?

While it may be the transmission or the transfer case, it could also be the differential.

To establish which it is, disconnect the rear driveshaft. If it then rolls easily it's a transmission problem, if it's still locked up it's the rear axle causing the problem.
    Any tip, suggestions?

1: Throttle pedal extension.

2: Bigger shoes.

3: Change your technique. You should really be using the sole of your foot for both pedals. A good description is given in an Edmunds article here: Heel and Toe Downshift

4: Accept that while being able to brake, change gear, and balance the revs at the same time can buy you fractions of a second at the track, it's not a manipulation of the controls that's required to drive a Jeep Wrangler smoothly and quickly in traffic or on the highway.
  • I just wonder if JK's throttle pedal or brake pedal can be adjusted?

If not, how much work will it cost to extend throttle pedal?
  • what year jeep hard top's will fit a 2005 wrangler
  • Wish I could help you out. I'd check with my local dealer. Good luck.
  • I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X with a 5sp and 31,000 miles. I am hearing a "spinning" noise when the Jeep is in N, but when I push the clutch in it goes away. I was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was?
  • i have a 97 wrangler sport 5 speed and my 5th gear doesn't hold speeds compared to my brothers 97 wranger sahara 5 .speed. My brothers jeep holds 80 easy were mine can hold 65 when i am lucky but usual only 60. has anyone had this problem. I have a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer. Resently had to replace o2 sensor in back of the cat. talk with some people and they said the rattling i had some time back might have been the cat breaking apart which might block the exhaust flow but i would think that would effect all gears not just 5th.
  • my 1995 jeep grinds when i'm shifting to 2nd gear but when i let the clutch in for a while no problem. Just wandering does the 5spd transmisson take oil what kind and where do you put it in?? It only has 68000 miles. i have the dot clutch oil topped off.