Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Crosstour

Comments

• Oh, I'll be testing it out as well. The 4-cylinder Venza is at the top of the list of the vehicles I've driven, but it's pretty uninspiring to drive. I'm looking for options.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 301
    You should consider the 2010 Equinox.
    It meets your size, power and price requirement.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,007
    Personally, it looks a bit rude to me. But so do the other fastback wagon combos like BMW. Not practical, not pretty either. I wish Honda had gone with the more wagon like spy shots instead and made it more like Venza.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    The problem is that these cars are in the "design pipeline" apprx 4-5 years so we will have to wait for the next design generation to get lighter, more practically sized and powered Hondas reflecting today's preferences.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Well, it is not clear what Honda thinks its target market it for this vehicle. If they are aiming at the Venza, then it is too big. 196" puts it in the five meter category which is usually the entry level for truly big cars. Not only that, but more length equals more weight which is crazy at a time when manufacturers should be trying to reduce weight to increase MPG. In any event, from the shape, it does not seem that this will be a practical cargo carrier - longer and heavier without more cargo room, so any Honda fans will likely head for bigger or smaller true SUVs within their own brand. IMHO, I think Honda blew it with this design.
  • So, seven inches takes it from "ok" to "too big" and unmarketable against the Venza?

Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the Venza better than I like that of the Crosstour in pictures, but I just don't see 7" being that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • Was it a typo? I just ran a Comparison on Edmunds. Selected a 2009 Venza 2.7L, and then compared it to a 2010 Crosstour. Note that the only model shown is an EX-L - that's V6 w/ leather. No mileage data shown: it's "Being Researched". The specs come out like this:

Crosstour / Venza
    Length: 186.6 in. / 189 in.
    Width: 72.4 in. / 75 in.
    Height: 56.7 in. / 63.4 in.
    WB: 106.5 in. / 109.3 in.
    Cargo: 14.3 cf / 30.7 cf

Looks like the Crosstour is smaller than the Venza. The rear storage is not so good: only marginally bigger than the Accord, and less than half the Venza. So now we can have a discussion on how it's not big enough!

Personally, I'd like a trimmer, more agile ride than the Venza. But, if I can't get my golf clubs to fit East-West in the trunk of the Honda, then 2010 Venza moves back up the list - again.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    No, seven inches does not automatically make it "too big" but it definitely puts it into a different category of cars. That was my point. What is Honda targeting here? The Crosstour may be a great car, but it will fit in fewer garages, hold less cargo, and probably get fewer MPG than others. I just think that if they were really aiming at the Venza, they could have done a better job of sizing this car, in all respects.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I don't think the CT is aimed at the Venza. I think the CT and the Venza are aimed at SUV owners, who are looking to downsize. If I were in the market for a new car right now, the Cross tour would get a tryout. I think it's a great alternative to the CRV. I am a car guy, not a truck guy, so the CT appeals to me more than the CRV.
    The size is just a function of the fact the Accord is 195" and this "Thang" is just a 5 door Accord. The Camry is about 190" and so the Venza is also about 190". My 02 V6 Accord is running well @ 100k,so my current plan is to drive until Honda gets us a diesel or builds something I really want that will feel "new". My 02 EXL has all the features of 09 cars.
  • Well, if that poster below mine mentioning the smaller-than-Venza Crosstour is correct, that's not necessarily true! :)

I'm with you on liking a torquey motor. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear my 4-cylinder spin up to 5k+ rpm, but after climbing a local "mountain (about 1,500 feet) in my parents 3.5L Taurus with three in the car at 2,000 RPM, where my 166hp, 160lb-ft Accord would be spinning at twice that at the same speed, I loved the six cylinder. Gets about 24MPG in my driving route; my 4-cyl Accord brings about 29 these days. Some days, I wouldn't trade for a V6. Some days, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Lol. Hi Grad. Hope you are well. I wish it were 186 but I've seen 196" several times and that fits with it's Accord roots. Honda is releasing more info on it on 10/1 on their website. Best regards.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 301
    Competition in this segment is going to be intense.

The Accord Crosstour will have to compete with the redesigned 2010 Subaru Outback. One big advantage for the Outback - AWD is standard. The Outback will be a lot cheaper than the comparable Crosstour trim level with AWD.
  • Would be a detriment for me, not an advantage. I live in Central Alabama. We got the most snow we've had in 9 years this February; 2 inches.

AWD adds more weight, more friction/driveline loss, and delivers a considerable MPG penalty. Give me FWD any day.

Different strokes for different folks. As for me, PLEASE make it optional. I wouldn't buy any car that came standard with something that only cost me MORE money.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I wonder if CrossTour with AWD will come with manual, or like the current CR-V, it will be Women's only edition with automatic and a purse hanger?

Maybe a diesel with 6 spd, and AWD?
  • Sorry blueiedgod but it's very unlikely the CrossTour will offer a manual transmission. The low take rate on a stick shift would not be worth the time. We may see a 6 spd tranny sometime but it will be an auto.

I'm hoping for a I4 FWD model around $27K in LX trim. I like the look of the CT and laugh about all the comments regarding it's 196" length. It's a full-size car for pete's sake.
  • Help me understand (not being sarcastic) why the Crosstour in base form might bring $5,000+/- than the $22,000 180hp bestselling CR-V. It doesn't havethe premium look of Venza, or the Cargo space.
  • It doesn't have the "premium look or cargo space of a Venza". Wow! - come in Rotterdam come in. You're breaking up!

First of all: quote me the cargo volume on the new CT then take a picture of the Venza's grille. Maybe Honda should price the CT below the CR-V?

The CR-V is a Civic-based compact. The CT is a full sized vehicle.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,007
    CT, CRV, Venza - those pigs could all use a little lipstick!
  • CT, CRV, Venza - those pigs could all use a little lipstick!

///////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Reminds me of a joke: What is the difference between a woman with PMS and a pitbull?

Lipstick! :P