It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Suburban Transfer Case Disengages While in 2WD
Instances of when this has occured are:
- Driving on interstate at 75mph
- Driving around town at various speeds
- While in reverse it is initially engaged but will slip out
- shifting from Drive to Reverse
What happens to vehicle when it occurs
- Transfer case appears as if it's in neutral as vehicle will roll.
- Light on transfer case control stays lit in 2WD mode
- When shifting vehicle to park will make a grinding type noise. Will put vehicle back into gear and have same problem of no engagement (engine just revs). I have also tried turning vehicle on/off while in this condition and it still does not correct.
What I do to correct:
- I push either the 2WD or Auto 4WD button and transfer case re-engages. I can then put the vehicle back into 2WD and it will drive fine until the next time it disengages. I may be noticing a decrease in mileage, but at this point can not say for sure that this is occuring.
Again, this issue only occurs while transfer case is in 2WD mode. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced some gears?? in the transfer case, but I don't feel that they have a good grasp of the problem. Any help/guidance you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks