Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bogie5bogie5 Posts: 4
    I have a 01 caravan SE with the same problem. The mechanics found that the flaps that are operated by a motor are warped where they hinge or secure. This is in the climate control box/heater core box. sure enough it was warped, you could see about a quarter inch difference and since there is a heater core behind those, the loose fit of the flaps let hot air in on the drivers side and partially on pass. If and I mean IF they are right I will post again, the part came in today and being installed in the morning. Heres the catch, 7 hrs to take apart, 8 hrs to put back. the part is about 250.00 but with shop labor will run about 1400.00 if they get it right the first time.
  • My mom is having problems with her minivan. Whenever she stops, some kind of alarm starts to make noise, and immediately stop once she takes her foot of the gas. I don;'t think she has an alarm on the car, so we have no clue what the problem could be. If anyone can help, please do.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A magazine writer would like to talk with car owners who have experienced auto repair fraud or incompetence. Please send your name, contact info and a few lines briefly telling your story to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 12, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kfdsankfdsan Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 GC. As with most owners, I have just had the transmission rebuilt, 147,000 miles also new solenoid. After getting it back, about 4 days in, the transmission stopped shifting properly. I contacted my mechanic, and have sent it back to him, he says that everything is working properly with transmission. He says it must be something electrical. This makes some sense, as when it stops shifting, you can turn off the van and restart, and then it will shift again for a while. Also been told it could be electrical short from plug wires. Any ideas on what it could be, or what to try?
  • gtcgtc Posts: 1
    I know this is a response that way too late but...

It takes time to figure these things out.

I had serpentine belts last less that five miles. I bet I have use ten in two years. It started after a visit to the dealer to replace the alternator. It was under the warranty.

This is a 97 grand caravan 3.3 liter motor. I have no idea if this applies to any other year but I'd bet it does. Anyway...

The Alternator has a spacer behind it. This spacer is as thick as a washer. When the mechanic installed the alternator he assumed this was a washer not a spacer. What this did was offset the alternator pulley by one rib on the serpentine belt This moved the alternator 1/16 or so away from the engine and closer to the side of the car. What happened was the belt would ride up onto the edge of the alternator pulley and then shred. Dealerships are great huh? If you look at the car (if you still have it) you may find the spacer is just below the bolt head not between the alternator and bracket where it belongs.

Maybe the designer is the person who initially polished the Hubble mirror, it was a washer that screwed that up.

Hope this help
  • sully68sully68 Posts: 1
    I just has the same problem this evening the clicking sound was coming from a relay under the dash. I wiggled the relay and the car started, does any one know if this means the relay simply needs to be replaced or does it point to another problem.
  • I bought a Grand Caravan with a 3.8 Liter 7/25/05. It ran good for seven days. Then I got in it and turned the key and nothing happened 8/1/05. It has been at a dealer 100 miles from home because we were on Vacation when this happened. (Camping with 3 kids and no trans is not good). The dealer has been getting parts shipped in overnight but it still won't start. More parts coming in Monday 8/8/05. One week after they started. I will keep you posted. :cry: :cry:
  • mcamphrmcamphr Posts: 3
    I too have a stuck door. Any remedies!

Thanks
    96 grand voyager owner
    I have 96 Grand Caravan with a stuck driver's side rear sliding door. I can't get it to open. I already checked the locking actuator and it is functioning. All the linkages appear to be in the right positions and are moving freely. I pulled off the interior door panel and the rear qtr panel. Tried opening and closing the fuel door and disconnecting the battery but I still can't get it open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - with three small boys we really got used to having two sliding doors and we really don't want to take it to the dealer to get it open.

Thanks,

Campdavis@charter.net
    I got it open! Yea! I had the panel off from the inside and drepress the button to open and gave it a swift kick and it popped right open. Of course, being the thorough troubleshooter that I am I checked the latches (1. door latch and 2. the fuel overlock - prevents the door form opening while the fuel door is open) the steel bar that protrudes about an inch and a half seemed slighty bent so I closed the door and prompty got it stuck again. Well this time it was a breeze to open with another kick. I then went to the hardware store and bought a torx bit set for 13.00 and took off the bar side of the fuel door latch. Lo and behold that fixed the problem. Although, I will be able to open the door now while the fuel door is open. But, I think I will just flip the child restraint switch so the door can't be opened from the inside on the driver's side. I'm sure that a used or new latch wouldn't be too expensive but I'm just going to do without. Lesson is don't slam the door when you are mad!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Judging by your symptoms and the sequence, I don't believe your ECM was defective.

Because of the year and your symptom set, my suggestion would be to replace the battery. The unexplainable illumination of various instrument indicators is telling me the battery is marginal, a typical scenario on Chrysler products. I'm surprised your local shop hasn't run across this before.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • smilensmilen Posts: 1
    I am having some issue with my 2001 t & c. When the AC is running for a long time the floor board on the passenger side gets wet. Have you ever had that problem?
  • They said they changed the battery.
  • Sorry I thought you replied to my problem on a 2005.
  • bogie5bogie5 Posts: 4
    never had any moisture on floor boards, though pryor to our problems we had alot of vapor out of our vents. I also read that to fix my problem should only be about 700 dollars in laber.
  • tmaantmaan Posts: 1
    97 3.3L radiator cooling fans do not come on at all. Checked fuse by battery, it's ok.
    Connectors ok. Is there a relay I'm missing here somewhere? No mention of a relay under the cover in the fuse/relay box.
    Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Tim
  • what did you find out about the car? mine is doing the exact same thing and they are stating i need a new bcm for $1,000.00 any information would help.
  • I HAVE A 1998 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SE WITH 108,000 MILES. THE CAR STARTS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE IT. MY CONTROL CLUSTER GOES OUT AND THE CAR WONT START. AFTER MUCH FRUSTRATION I AM BEING TOLD IT IS MY ALARM SYSTEM THAT IS MALFUNTIONING WITHIN MY BODY CONTROL MODULE AND THEY SAY IT CANNOT BE BYPASSED OR FIXED, BUT THE BCM NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. ANY SUGGESTIONS? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE HAVE BEEN ANY RECALLS ON THIS?
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Check out post #3084. Common problem on early build 2001's
  • I have a 98 grand caravan with 310000 kilometer, and I have an on going problem with the front disc brakes being applied while driving. This usually happens while driving at a slow speed. ( 0-50km per hour) Last year I had the dealer replace the ABS controller. The problem only seems to occur during the summer months. When this problem happens the only temporary fix is to pull over and stop the vehicle and push down on the brake pedal as hard as possible several times. This seems to reset the brakes for a while. Also the ABS warning light and the check engine soon light seem to come on and off inermittly. Any suggestions with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    mickey.breda@lincsat.com
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 976
    Hi, kmcoleman,

To see the recall notices and TSBs for the Grand Caravan SE, go to http://edmunds.com and click the "Tips" tab at the top of the screen. On the next screen, click the "Maintenance Guide" link. Fill in the information about your vehicle and voila.

By the way, typing in all caps makes it look like you're shouting, so it's best to take your caps lock key off when you post.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• On my 1999, I found it mounted on the inside wall of the engine compartment on the driver's side near the bottom of the radiator. It is a solid state module on the 1999 and cost $80+ at the dealer and $38+ on the internet. Good luck.
  • lxpatellxpatel Posts: 34
    A friend of mine also had the same trouble, but his was 97 chrysler town & country Lxi. One other thing, does your temp gauge go up near H. If not why bother. I think these things are designed to have the cooling fans run only when it is hot and the vehicle is standing still, which is when they usually turn on. If it is moving, i dont think you will be able to tell whether it is on or off.

Any way, on my friends vehicle, the gauge went near H only while standing still, and it returned to normal once the car was moving. On his the harness that connects to the relay was bad, which i think was near the cooling fan. Dealer had diagnosed the relay to be working fine.

hope this helps.
  • On today's vechicles, the cooling fans will run even when you are not moving and the temp. gauge should not be moving up and down. If so then you have a problem in the cooling system some where. The cooling fan's are connected to a temp. sensor that detects the temp. of the coolant as it flows thru the engine. When the coolant reaches the temp. the sensor is set for, a signal will be sent to the cooling fans to turn on. When the coolant temp. goes below the temp. sensor setting, the sensor sends a signal to the cooling fans to turn them off. :)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I might add that there was a recall of that era DC minivans on the cooling fan controls, at least on our 1996 Caravan. It may have applied to the 97 model year as well. Might be worth your effort to see if the recall was in effect on your 1997 and if so, did your van had the recall fix performed on it
  • kurtakurta Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Plymouth Voyager SE (3.3 engine) with just under 100K miles on it. We did a major service recently at the beginning of the summer (including changing out the platinum plugs). Ever since, we've had worsening idle when the A/C is on. It runs okay for a few seconds, then the RPMs plunge, then surge, then normal again; the severity of the roughness, and the frequency of the plunge/surge cycle, are increasing. The service dept where we have always taken the car suggests the compressor itself is failing; I suspect something simpler and cheaper, like a belt adjustment. Any insight from anyone here?

KurtA
  • I've had a variety of issues. Unfortunately my garage can't recreate any of the problems I'm having.
    Sometimes the car will start but none of the gauges will work. My alarm light, seatbelt and ABS lights stay on and I get goofy readings from the trip computer.
    Sometimes the car will start but won't continue running. The RPMs stay at 0 and then the car just dies. After about 12 hours it will crank right up.
    One garage got some kind of sensor reading that the transmission was not engaging. So they disconnected it, drove around the block in the hope that it would reset and they got bupkis.
    At other times, I may go over a speed bump and the car will just die but crank up again as soon as I put it in neutral and turn the key.
    It's wacky and getting very frustrating.
    BTW, this is a '97 T&C.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Sounds like you have a poor ground connection.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 976
    Hi, shawnd,

I don't, but I'm hopeful that one of the experts posting in this Forum will have some insight for you. I don't know if this helps, but it looks like one of our members hit on a solution to a similar problem last month, and other members found it useful. Click this link to read the post:

Re: 1997 Grand Caravan no power to instrument panel and gauges [dougt2] by phantom3 Jul 01, 2005 (10:30 am)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• real123real123 Posts: 20
    My 98 Gr Vgr driver window stopped functioning suddenly. All other windows work fine. There is no motor sound at all when pulling on the switch. Anyone have experince with this?

Thanks.