Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I changed the idler tension pulley last week. Bought an aftermarket part from a Checker Auto parts store. Their internet price was less than the price in the store, but they gave it to me for the internet price that I had printed out, which was a little less than $20. This was for the pulley only with the bearing, not the tensioner assembly part.

It went in OK and seems to have quieted the intermittent chirping and clicking. The biggest problem was getting the serpentine belt back on all the pulleys, which took a while, but eventually worked out with a bit of patience.
  • yumiyumi Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Caravan that was converted to handicapped accessible by Braun. Power steering went dead while we were on highway. Imagine you have to steer a heavy steering wheel while driving by hand!

It was nothing to do with conversion. Totally Dodge's problem.

I wish Honda Odyssey can be converted. I will switch right away.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Before you switch, be advised that there are also many problems being reported with the Odyssey here in the Town Hall.
  • duke87nukeduke87nuke Posts: 12
    Definitely sounds like the battery - see my earlier post. I saw the same symptoms, but mine didn't recover as yours did. Sounds like you have an internal battery fault that has probably not fully shorted ooutthe battery yet.
  • upshiftupshift Posts: 2
    My 2003 T&C has intermittent short and extended period losses of transmission, headlights, wipers, HVAC, dashboard warning lights and gauges, door locks, etc. The problems manifest in a variety of ways. For example, sometimes it is just loss of shifting for a few seconds, sometimes for 100 miles. Sometimes no headlights when I turn on the vehicle. The problems frequently start when I turn the headlights on while the car is moving. Dealers replaced wire harness, transmission controller, and checked wiring several times. DTC "upshifted at speed".
    Have you experienced similar problems? Any ideas on what is wrong?
  • The window is stuck open. Trying to use power controls to open or close results in motor noise, like it's running/worknig but the window is "off the track". I pulled the door cover off but didnt see anything that "jumped out at me". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    could be a loss of ground to the body control module.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Yes, mr. kirstie_h had the body control module replaced on his 300M last week because of the exact same symptoms... only he waited too long, and totally lost power (engine too) while driving. I'd check it out ASAP. If you're under warranty, this is included.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• upshiftupshift Posts: 2
    Chrysler SARS has recommended that the shift interlock be replaced.
  • gereamgeream Posts: 2
    I have a 2001, Chrysler Town & Country Limited. The last month or so (Summer Season), I have noticed that when I leave the van sit for a while after driving to work, then come back to start it after work, the radio volume is 50% or so higher than when I turned the engine off. The volume is controled by buttons on the back of the steering wheel or by the radio knob, itself.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have a fix?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Mind if I ask what you 03 Caravan cost? Are you getting an extended warranty?
  • dhodho Posts: 2
    My 1994 had front end shaking/vibration between 35 & 40mph. The vibration is not as noticable at lower and higher speeds. Sometimes if the tire is out of round, the vehicle will wobble. This will occur at all speeds though. The problem is a worn cv joint. I replace both the driver and passenger side axles and now the van doesn't shake anymore. Both axles had a bad inner cv joint.
    Cost my about $150.00 in parts.
  • xingze_caixingze_cai Posts: 47
    The trim on the right side of my Dodge Caravan was losing recently, I bought the trim adhersive tool from a local store and apply it to my car, however, it seems it does not help at all. Can anybody give any suggestions here?

Thanks!
  • fhohiofhohio Posts: 10
    My 1999 Caravan's battery died without warning a little after 3 years. The replacement, which was not Mopar, just died this weekend. It didn't make it 2 1/2 years. I don't know if all of the dome lights, etc. take a drain on the battery over time, but I have heard that the batteries for these vans tend to have short lives. For whatever this is worth....
  • gthorsongthorson Posts: 1
    For the past two weeks, my 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager has been slipping into limp-in mode (i.e. locks into 2nd gear) when accelerating at low speeds. When I do so, the "Check Engine Soon" light comes on. If I shut off the car and restart, the transmission will function properly for a short period, but if I continue to drive at slow speeds followed by acceleration, it will again go into limp-in mode. If I can get to high speeds (above 40 mph), it will perform fine until I slow down to lower speeds and again need to accelerate. My repair facility is confused. When they hooked up the van to the computer, they got a low voltage to the transmission message. They then proceeded to change a relay switch (no success) and today replaced the transmission module (again no success). Any recommendations?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Had the same problem with my 99 Intrepid. Dealer changed both input and output sensors on the trans and it is fixed.
  • Pas de problem Andre.

We bought our 2003 Grand Caravan Sport (with aftermarket power take off and DVD player) for $22,369 Canadian (approx 16,750 US) It had 21,800 Kilometers (about 13,000 miles)

We since have taken it on two long weekend trips, one with three people and one with six people aboard with no problems yet whatsoever.

We did take additional extended warranty. I did not want to do it. I have lost money on extended warranties on the last two vehicles I purchased extended warranties on (a 95 Sable and a 00 Focus) but my wife wanted to do it. After 31 years, I tend to do what she says.
  • mistellemistelle Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a mini-van I can trade my 98 Chevrolet Malibu for. The dealer showed me 99 Plymouth Voyageur. Does anyone know anything about this make and any problems with the 99's? Someone said there were problems with transmissions in some years.

Thanks!
    Mistelle
  • bunnybunny Posts: 1
    Is .30/mile a fair buy back user fee?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Mistelle,

I suggest you read back in all the Caravan/Voyager/Town and Country Edmunds discussions, then take a big aspirin as your head will be swimming!

Chrysler has had some minivan transmission problems in the past, but not as widespread as some would have you to believe and the newer ones I believe have rectified whatever problems there were in the past. By 1999, I think you will be getting a good one. Our 1996 has been fine, now at about 78K miles.

There are also about four different engines and maybe at least three different variations of transmissions in vans of that era. Very common is the 3.3 liter V-6 with 4 speed automatic. I would stay away from the 4 cylinder version as I think it is underpowered, not because of any particular known problem.

Otherwise, I would look for a low mileage one that has not been abused. You may be able to get maintenance records if the car was dealer serviced. You could also pay an independent mechanic to check it out before purchase. Good luck!