Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• this is a simple problem to fix.

If you have a caravan you will find a plate about the size of a deck of cards bolted (on earlier models) or attached without any evident means, because there are two disposable plastic tabs similar to body moulding tabs, on to the fire wall on the left side almost in line with the serpentine belt. Either unbolt this or pull it out and replace it with a new one. Fairly cheap at a dealer. It is a set of resistors that turn down the fan speed. when they all burn out the fan can only run on high.

they stick into the air duct so they can be cooled by the air they circulate.
  • H, I have the same problem, remove the top of the dashboard, reset the plug on the back of the panel, but I can' find the ribbon cable at the botton.

will you guide me?

Thanks
  • just wanted to let you know it was the fuel pump on my van $435. parts and labor
  • i had a similar problem.....turned out to be fuel pump
  • thanks for letting us know how things worked out. This can be as important as the original post.

What about the brake light. That likely wouldn't be related to the fuel pump. The other problems probably were.

Any news there? How did the fluid level check out?
  • We have a 2000 T&C and are having the same trouble. Has anyone helped you out with your problem?

Thanks,
    Norb
  • We have a 2000 T&C and had a similar problem. Put in a gas additive (think it was a STP product) that was a fuel system cleaner and haven't had a problem since. Had a 94 Dodge Caravan that used to stall and used a gas additive to remedy that situation.

Good luck,
    Norb
  • ckmnacckmnac Posts: 12
    I am having the same problem but only occasionally on my 98 GC. It usually only happens when the van is cold and shutting it off and starting it back up will fix the problem. We thought it was the transmission even though it was replaced 24,000 miles ago. I swear this van has major issues with the cold weather.
  • I haven't had THAT problem. But I do want to ask if anyone has had problems with the power windows in their Grand Caravan. Mine is a 1997 and I have replaced almost everything but the engine (probably next). I have replaced the power window on the drivers side 5 TIMES in the past 3 months. It will last for about 2 weeks & strip the gears again. I was told by my mechanic that its "just a Dodge problem" and that it will keep happening. I don't have to pay for a new one everytime (its under warranty from when I first purchased the first motot) but it is COLD and very frustrating when the window goes down in the door and I have to ride like that until I can get to my mechanic!

Anyone else have a problem like this?
  • My 99 GV cuts off while driving it, more often while it is still cold. The dealer had it for a week and ' couldn't duplicate the problem'. I came in and drove it w/one of the mechanics and a computer hooked up to it and it cut off after about 3 minutes of driving it. The dealer said the tests came back with numerous spikes in voltage and he could not begin to figure out the problem. It does not hesitate, drive rough, or give you any warning it's going to cut off. It just goes out. I asked about the TPS and he said the voltage would be low, not high, so he does not think that's the problem.He's not going to charge me for the diagonistics since he doesn't know whats wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful.
  • I had wheel alignment done at the local Chrysler dealership last week and following this, I purchased three hankook tires from a local store. Config. is two new Hankook tires in the front and one Hankook and one uniroyal tiger paw at the back (215/65/16 T rated)

I noticed after putting the tires on that the car veers to the right, I contacted Chrysler and they were trying to blame it on the tire and suggested we swap the tires over as they will charge if they have to examine the vehicle again. The pull still occurs in the same direction.
    The mechanic at the tire store drove the vehicle yesterday and said it is not a problem and blamed
    it on the crown of our local roads saying it will not cause tire wear. However driving on the interstate last night, doing 60mph, it still veers to the right.

My question is has anyone experienced this or should the alignment still be checked.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    While I'm not saying that your single Uniroyal Tiger Paw is the cause of your pulling, I will say that most if not all competent shops will not spend too much time on debugging your problem until there are four identical tires on your car. Obviously with the odd tire on the rear it will be less of an issue, but potentially an issue nonetheless.

Suggestion, buy another Hankook tire and use the TigerPaw as a spare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I have a 2000 dodge caravan. the a/c was working fine til after i had the oil pan replaced by the dealer. after that, the a/c wasn't blowing cold air. it was warm. would it be possible that there's something related to the a/c in the area of the oil pan? perhaps something the mechanic did to the a/c system while replacing the oil pan?

doesnt make sense to me, but i dont know what else could have caused the a/c to not be cold immediately after the oil pan was worked on.

pls advise, tks!
  • jhartjhart Posts: 10
    The mechanic may have unplugged the AC connection at the compressor. Good luck.
  • eric6eric6 Posts: 10
    Tina16,

Did this ever get resolved? Do you know what the problem is? I have a 2002 T&C EX. I have the exact same issue.
  • My 2001 voyager's blower (or fan) will now only work in highest setting; also sometimes passenger window won't work and rear wiper has quit working before. Just hit 60000 miles and had the "check engine light" come on with a code "P 0135". I can't find out what this code means and need help tracking down blower problem. THANKS for any suggestions.
  • I am having a similar problem with a 98 grand voyager. I haven't had it looked at yet but it will sometimes not go in drive or reverse. Turning the engine off and then back on usually corrects the problem. Hope it is not a transmission job. I'm hoping that someone has an answer that will at least help me to reduce my costs when getting it fixed.
  • I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. But I bought my GC 2001 this past Spring and I had not driven it in snow until recently. I've noticed that when I hit a slippery patch of snow my front end grinds kind of like when your ABS kicks in, but I am not applying the brakes. As soon as I get past the slippery patch, it stops. Is this normal, or is this some kind of a problem? Also, I don't know if this has traction control or limited slip on it.
    Thanks for any input.
  • 1998 120,000 miles 3.3 started to stall intermitently. It runs awsome then dies with out warning. I can start it right back up after I turn it off for awhile, but then it gets harder to start back up when it has died a few times. It will still start just have to wait longer. My mechanic can not find anything wrong. Before I started having this problem my tack, speedometer and gear lights on the dash would act up. Like the stall it happen intermitantly. My mechanic said I had a crank shaft sensor code show so he replaced that but still it is not fixed. He put in a new battery yesterday in hopes but it died on my way to work 5 times. The car still runs great if it were not for the stalling and I hate to give it up. I see where others have had similar problems. Has no one found a cure?
    I know the 96 GC's had a recall on the clock spring in the steering wheel but I doubt that is the problem. It could be the BCM computor or it's wiring harness. Caravans are also prone to having poor grounds. There are several grounds associated with this car. Upper left motor mount and in the area of the radiator and under the dash. Also, I would carefully clean and check both ends of the battery cables and replace if in doubt. I did have trouble with the door locks just before the clock spring went out on my GC' but it corrected itself before I had it replaced. I did clean the cables. Apparently these vans are "ground" sensitive. Let us know how you make out. Jim
    "Also, I don't know if this has traction control or limited slip on it."

Well, you do now... That grinding noise you heard was the traction control system in action. If you had been driving across the slippery stuff with little or no throttle you would not have heard the noise, however, as soon as the traction control system sensed wheel slip, it actuated the brakes in rapid fire fashion to eliminate said slipping.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • For the passenger compartment fan blower problem, you are looking at a fairly simple replacement of a resistor pack that controls the speed. it is located on the firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment. Open the hood, look towards the back of the engine in line with the serpentine belt. On the wall at the back of the engine you should see a plastic rectangle about the size of a credit card with a wiring harness plugged into it.

this needs to be pried off and replaced with a new one. I haven't done one this new but I'm told that if you slide a screwdriver in from the outside it will compress a clip that will allow you to remove the resistor pack.

You'll have all the blower settings back. it's an easy swap.

good luck.

The rear wiper motor isn't too tough to swap either but I'm confused about your "before" comment. If it's working now, just leave it. I had to cut the wiper arm off the spindle in order to remove it.

You'll need to give more information about how your passenger window doesn't work. This could be a mechanical problem or an electrical problem depending on what's actually going wrong.
  • HAS ANYBODY HAD THE NOISY EXHAUST PROBLEM RESOLVED? I JUST BOUGHT A NEW 2005 TOWN & COUNTRY LIMITED BACK IN OCTOBER OF THIS YEAR. I LOVE THE VAN BUT THE ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT HAS BEEN THE LOUD EXHAUST GLASS PACK NOISES. ON THE HIGHWAY GOING 70 IT IS NOT VERY NOTICABLE, BUT CRUSING AROUND TOWN IT IS ALMOST UNBEARABLE. IT MAKES A LOUD GROWLING SOUND THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

THIS IS NOT THE QUIET MINIVAN THAT I HAVE READ REVIEWS ON. WHEN BUYING A SO CALLED "LUXURY" MINIVAN, THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS CRANK UP THE RADIO TO DROWN OUT THE MUFFLER SOUNDS.

IF CHRYSLER HAS DONE NOTHING ABOUT THIS & IS JUST SAYING THIS IS INHERENT TO THE VEHICLE, THIS WILL BE THE LAST CHRYSLER THAT I WILL BUY(I STILL OWN A 99' T & C THAT IS VERY QUIET--AND HAS THE SAME ENGINE?).

I AM NOT SURE IF ALL 2005 T & C'S HAVE THIS ISSUE BECAUSE I CAN NOT FIND MANY POSTS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THIS PROBLEM --THE LAST ONE DATED SEPTEMBER 2005 IN THIS EDMUNDS FORUM.

CAN A DIFFERENT MUFFLER BE USED TO REPLACE THE ONE ON THE VAN & SOLVE THE PROBLEM?
    For starters, please don't shout (typing in all CAPS), it's considered rude, it's difficult to read, and as such, many posters won't even bother to respond, even if they happen to have an answer.

Now, to the point of your post, you didn't mention what your dealership has had to say on the subject. That being said, I don't imagine that it will be all that difficult to diagnose such a problem that is as loud as a "glass pack" level of exhaust noise. It could be a cracked joint or otherwise split or holed pipe, it could be a hole in the muffler, it could be a loose bolt coming off of the exhaust header, it could be something wrong with the catalytic converter.

Regarding your comment that said, "I still own a '99 T&C that is very quiet -- and has the same engine." Well, not really. True, they both are probably sporting the 3.8 (the same as our 1998 and our 2003 GCs), however, they aren't the same engine, hence the difference in power and fuel economy. Same block? Yes. Same everything else? Some yes, some no, and that includes both the intake and exhaust systems if I'm not mistaken.

Question tree #1: Did you take it for a test drive before you took delivery of it? If so, did it make the noise then? If so, why did you take delivery of it?

Question tree #2: Have you gone back to your dealership and asked to ride in another similarly equipped van? If so, did it make the same amount of noise? In the unlikely event that it did, then I guess that's just way it is. If it didn't, did you bring the difference to the attention of your service advisor? If so, what did he/she say?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    besides the things you mention: it's possible it's a missing rubber grommet for one of the hangers on the exhaust system, or some part of the exhaust system could be pushed up against the underside of the vehicle, or something from the road may have lodged in between a part of the exhaust and the underside...

i'd bring it in and have someone put it on a lift.
  • Thank you for the response. I am happy to know my vehicle is equipped with this safety feature.
    :)
  • I'll try the resistor pack replacement this weekend. The rear wiper on 2 or 3 occassions has stopped working but is working now so I agree to leave it alone.

The passenger window has also stopped working 2 or 3 times but is working fine now too. When it acts up it will go down and then not come up except in about half inch increments over about 10 minutes of of trying.
  • gino45gino45 Posts: 52
    The day time running lights on my 2001 Caravan quit working the other day. The fuses look fine. Is there a relay linked to these lights? I am not sure if Caravans sold in the U.S. have this setup, but any advice would be welcomed.
  • My 98 GC with 170k, recently the air bag light came on. Perhaps not coincidently, the horn stopped working at the same time. Also probably not coincidently, about 1.5 years ago the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel stopped working. I could get them to work by moving the tilt wheel up and down but after a while it stopped working altogether. I understand that there is a clock spring recall on some the of the GC's, but I also know that this van never had the recall performed, as I did not own it at the time of the recall. Anyway, any suggestions or ideas on this? Is it probably the clock spring, or something else? If it is the clock spring, any chance I could get Chrysler to pay for the replacement? Thanks!
    The clock spring on my 96 went out and I waited a year and surprise it was recalled for replacement. They want a lot of money do do it. The part is not that much. Call your dealer and ask them. Have your VIN ready. Also Allpar.com may have it in their archives. Good luck!