Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Thanks for your help. I have had comments about the suspensionon a different Edmunds web site, the one for Chrysler Town and Country and Grand Caravan 2005 etc.
    I have been informed that the firmer "touring" suspension is really worth it and confirms my own driving impression. I was going to be hard to please prehaps having traded in a BMW X5 as I needed more room to travel with stuff and my dogs.
  • Did you ever get this problem resolved? I live in Suwanee, have a 2001 T&C LXi and started having the same problem about 3 months ago. Went and got a new battery but couldn't believe that the battery was the problem since I have just now turned over 35K miles. My van was dead last Saturday morning, so we jumped it from my hubby's car. Same as I've read, with clacking noise, cd changer going, wipers going on slowly, etc. Today, I had the liftgate go out on me. Won't open with remote, inside power button OR manually! If you did get this resolved would you PLEASE tell me what happened and which dealership you went to? I bought mine at CarMax.
  • I have a 96 T&C with 166892 miles. Lately, my dash cluster nhas been acting up. As I go down the road, the cluster will die completely, sometimes one or two gages will come back, the alaqrm set light comes on, bells ring. My electronic odometer does not register correctly.

I have had it to chrysler twice with no luck. I assume they can only plug into some machine that tells them what is wrong. If it doesn't fit their computer categories, they can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated. Battery has been checked, terminals tightened and cleaned.
  • The low fuel chime goes off randomly regardless of fuel quantity. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
  • We have a 2001 GC and our low fuel chime goes off randomly too at times. What I notice is that if the van is not on leveled ground, we would get an inaccurate reading. (It seems that the fuel float is very sensitive) Sometimes when parked on a side street that's on a slight slant to the curb, the low fuel chime goes off when there is 1/4 of a tank of gas. After driving on a flat surface for about a mile, it would go off. I do believe that the fuel float on our van is very accurate from the test that I have done. Pretty much every time the low fuel light comes on, we have about 5 gal of gas left. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2000 voyager. Heat problems. Local mechanic replaced the thermostat, flushed the heater, core blend door is operating fine...no help...no heat. I bit the bullet and paid crysler $60.00 for them to tell me a need a new temperature contol at the tune of $400.00 and $30.00 to install it (ez job). What the heck is a temperature control and if it is so easy to install, why can't I do it my self? But I don't know what the part is AND can I find one at the local salvage yard? THANKS
  • Hey guys,

New to this board, but old to the Toyota board. My lady friend has a 96 Voyager with the following problems: horn inop, cruise control inop, backup lights inop, and "AIRBAG" light in the warning cluster "on". This all happened at once, which lead me to believe that it might be a fuse. I have personally checked every fuse in the cabin and under the hood with an ohmmeter, and they are all good. I suspect a bad ground that services all these components. Anybody got any help for me? Thanks in advance.
  • My '98 Gr. Voyag has 88k. The car has been squeling loudly. Today, the mechanic told me I need new fr. pads, hoses, rotors and calipers. About six months ago (6-8k miles) I replaced the calipers and pads. Six months before that (6-8 k) replaced the rotors and pads. And so on.

I do live on a hill, and do a lot of city driving, but others that live around me don't have the same problem.

It seems that there is a more basic problem here causing the heavy wear.

I have used different mechanics in hopes someone will figure this out, to no avail. The expense is too great to keep this car. Any ideas are appreciated.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? about that temp control.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan, 3.3L short wheel version and only have 1500 miles on it. Sometimes when I turned the headlight switch ON at night, the headlight wouldn’t come ON. Only the day time running light is turned ON. The only way to correct this problem is to cycle the headlight switch from ON to OFF, and then back to ON again. It happened 7 times this week, but it doesn’t happen all the time. My van is not equipped with automatic headlight control. The Chrysler dealer couldn’t correct the problem since the problem couldn’t be duplicated at the dealership. I am just wondering if anyone has similar problem or someone can give me a hint of what might have cause the problem.

Thanks.. Rdarwin
  • ken15ken15 Posts: 7
    I had the same problem on my dakota pickup, with sputtering, losing power acted like fuel problem. My mechanic said replace the computer, I didn't believe them, I work as a Electronic technician and found that by removing my battery terminals and resetting the entire computer system, and then cleaning both battery terminals and hookups, that my truck would run find for months. When it started acting up I would clean the battery and wire terminals again..surprize it works, try it I believe the computer needs a very clean current/voltage source.
  • Body Control Module changed, paid $500 for the work, waited for a week, problem not fixed. Car went back and I haven't heard from them. Any help out there?

Couldn't tell if that clockspring assembly message was for my benefit or not, will ask my service rep, probably cost me another $500 to find out.
  • jckabjckab Posts: 2
    It has 48,000 miles. It started with a ticking noise in the engine that gets faster and louder when I accelerate. The whole engine just sounds like a tin can. I also can't find the owners manual and there is a light that is orange that flips on for a day or 2 and goes off. It kind of looks like an engine and is orange. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks in advance.
  • gino45gino45 Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 Caravan with the following problem:

The wipers do not return to their original position when turning off the wiper switch. They tend to stop in their tracks as soon as the switch is turned off. On other occasions, the wipers will swipe 3 to 4 times before finally stopping. Is this a mechanical or electrical problem?
  • jckabjckab Posts: 2
    I had something similar happen like that with my 98 Grand Prix GT...It was the wiper motor.
  • atk220atk220 Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Plymouth Voyageur doing the same thing & the dealer service dept cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Did you discover what this was?
  • 96 Plymouth voyager, front wiper only works when pumping windshield fluid, otherwise will not work, replaced the multi-function switch, still does not work
  • In Canada, Shell created problems for caravans caused by a fuel additive. Caused a gumming of the float mechanism, gauge would go up and down and dinging each time it drops to low. There is a class action law suit, call Shell they will send a package. I went to the dealer and got a fuel cleaner of some type don't remember exactly what it was called. This cured my problems.
  • I had this same exact problem with my Dodge Grand Caravan recently. I tried changing the fuse also, then, after some research, the problem was found to be a defective clock spring. This item is in the steering column and was a Dodge recall. It took about 1/2 hour to repair at the dealership. BEWARE! While your airbag light is on, you airbag will NOT WORK!!!!! Good luck.