Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Could be your starter is beginning to go out. If you are handy, it is quite easy to replace most starters, however my '96 Caravan starter has not gone out yet, so I haven't looked at it to determine accesibility. Usually there are only a couple of bolts and a couple of wires to disconnect and reconnect.

If it looks easy to do and you are up to it, I would buy a replacement (usually rebuilt) starter at one of the major parts places, like Autozone, Napa or Advance Auto Parts and change it out yourself. That way you are only out the fairly minor cost of the starter than a big bill at a repair shop.
  • Hello, I'm actually writing for my sis who's comp is down at this time. She just bought a 1992 dodge caravan (automatic). She says that sometimes the vehicle will not shift from 2nd to 3rd, and also sometimes it will only go into reverse as well. She says that it doesnt happen all the time, but when it does, if they turn the vehicle off and on 3 times it (resets) itself and works properly again until the next time. I have never heard of anything like this before but she says that a few garages have told her that its either the "brain" OR the "tranny" and theres no way to tell until it actually goes. Does this van have an electronic tranny? Could the brain effect the tranny in this manner, or in anyway for that matter?
    If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be, please write me back and let me know. i would like to help her out as she spent all the money they had on this vehicle and now are afraid to take it anywhere, and I would also like to learn myself what could cause such behavior.
    Thanks much in advance!
    Kevin
    pruett586@comcast.net
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Check in Chrysler minivans transmission problems too; but I wouldn't post your email address in a public forum. You're guaranteed to get lots more spam if you do.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm seriously frustrated... here's the scoop...
    just bought a used 02 Caravan with 90,000km's.. upgraded from our 97(or so i thought)...
    It has a strange front end noise... took to my mechanic and replaced the struts, strut mounts.. was substantially better, but the 'bang' was still there when you went over 'washboard' bumps... seemed like the spider gear inside the rack and pinion was shot, so changed the rack and outer tierod..(all this and this van was just safetied less than 100km's ago)... then took it in for an alignment... this mechanic i know said he can hear the problem (also noticeable when you are in park and you rock the steering wheel side to side), with the stethoscope he told me you can hear it in the rack and in the struts and in the tierods!! The only thing that isn't new are the wheel bearings and ball joints... so he told me to take it back to my shop and take the plugs out of the balljoints and put in a grease nipple and grease the balljoints... well i did this, and now it seems WORSE!!.. yet there doesn't seem to be any 'play' in the ball joints...
    could somebody help me???? Could it be ball joints??? I'm at a loss!!!
    thanks...
  • My wife is just starting to experience similar behaviour on our 98 Caravan. Radio/clock shutting off while driving. She didn't mention the wiper/blower but did mention that the electric door locks wouldn't work when she shut off the vehicle.

I disconnected the negative lead on the battery as mentioned in other threads and this took care of the problems...or so I thought. I took the vehicle in for an electrical diagnostic and they couldn't find anything wrong but now the speedometer won't work. It's going back in for more diagnostics next week.

I'm concerned about the wipers as we live in Michigan and the climate is anything but kind right now.

I'll let you know what we find and please share any solutions you end up with.

Thanks.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Has anyone changed the sway bar links and the sway bar rubber bushings? If they haven't I would do that. In fact that is probably the first thing I would do before getting into more expensive items.
  • I bought a 2001 Grand Caravan about three weeks ago. two of those weeks it has been in the shop. Two days after getting it home, the speedo started bouncing around, and then pegged itself under the zero. Before I could get it back to the dealer, the Tach started bouncing as well, and I started having shifting problems. I figured it was the speed sensor and took it in. they couldn't find a problem with it so they called Chrysler and were told it was the main computer. they replaced the computer and the speed sensor, drove it 20 miles or so and gave it back. Two days later same thing happened. Took it back in, they replaced the ground wires to the computer and the speed sensor. Got it back three days ago. Now it is happening again. Any thoughts? I'm done with dodge. I'm done with that dealership. PLEASE HELP!!!

dave
  • jjtjjjtj Posts: 103
    I have an 03 Dodge GC.. had the clunking noise when going over bumps. Replaced the sway bar links and the problem is gone. You might try that, I think it's a common problem on these vans.
  • I have the same probleme with my 97 Grand Caravan, for several yeasr now. I am very interested in the answer, how to disable the chime, other than spending sevral hundred dollars.
  • Hi, we just purchased a '01 Town and Country that is equipped with a power liftgate. It will not open by itself like it is supposed to using any of the buttons; it has to be opened manually. It beeps and clicks, but then nothing. Anyone know what would be wrong with it, and about how much it costs to fix?

TIA!
    Carolyn
  • I'm searching for a solution to the same problem...Mine will not operate below 50 degrees.

Please let me know if you find an answer and I'll do the same for you!

Good luck!
  • funny thing.. my mechanic just called today and said that that's the problem.. he disconnected them and took it for a quick drive, and said the noise was gone... gonna have to change them tomorrow... thanks..
  • The rear liftgate will not open from inside unless the van is in park and unlocked.
  • Yeah, I read in the manual that the temperature can make it not work... That's not the issue with this one, as it's been in the 70's (odd weather for this time of year), and it won't open.

I will let you know if I find out anything! :-)
  • Hi, I'm not sure if you were replying to my post, but if so, we have the van in park and the doors are unlocked (obviously) - that is not the issue. The liftgate beeps and clicks and sounds like it is going to open, but then nothing.....
  • I have a 93 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 and recently I've had a problem with the van surgeing while stopped or when it is ideling.
    The check engine light comes on sometimes to.
    When I'm driving along the vehicle power will drop then come back up, check engine light may come on, check gauges light may also come on.
    Originally I was told the EGR valve and O2 sensor needed to be replaced, this didn't help.
    The I was told the Engine Control module needed to be replaced, I did this twice, and it is still doing the same thing. A bit frustrated, three departments and my van is still acting up. I need some advise.
    After replaceing the engine control module, is there anything else i need to do to the module?
  • We have a 2001 GC with the same problem in temperatures below 50 degrees. Was told by the dealer mechanic the lifters on the liftgate are worn. Right now we just deal with it since it's not that big of a deal, but we will have them replaced before the warranty is up. (If the total parts are more then our deductible). In temperatures above 50 degrees, the liftgate works fine. Keep in mind that most, if not all, lifters are gas charged, and when cold the gases inside is cold to which makes it harder for the lifters to open the gate. I beleave the rear hatch weighs a lot.
  • I also have a 97 voyager that is doing this. However, I had no idea that their was an alarm system in the van to begin with. Did anyone ever point you to the location of the any engine kill switch??
  • Several days ago I was search about alarm problems, dying batteries, and stalling. My 2000 Caravan has had all these problems. I am on my 3rd battery, my alarm system chirps for no reason or for something as simple as going over a speed bump. A few days ago, it stalled twice while I was driving, not warning...it just died but started right up again.

If any of these sound familiar, have them check the EVS module for a short. That apparently is my problem. The good news is they finally found the problem, the bad news is they say it is not under warranty. I plan to argue that point since my first battery died just about a year to the day that I bought the van. Don't know how much luck I will have. Does anyone know if these are hard to replace?

mfulper
  • sylecsylec Posts: 7
    Sounds like your car is in "limp mode". I did the same thing with my old dodge. I did the "do-it-your-self" fix first, which was to simply replace the trany sensors, mine had two, one is the speed sensor control and the other is the shift sensor. It only cost me $17 for both. You don't have to change out both but I just replaced both cause I figured if one is going out, the other is not far from failing as well.