Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ray1945ray1945 Posts: 4
    Hi Steve, I going to check out the battery terminals when my daughter comes over. I appreciate all the input out there that I've received so far thanks Ray........
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Our 1996 Caravan SE Sport with the Infinity AM/FM Cassette system is becoming non-functional on FM. It works fine on AM, but FM producing all kinds of strange noises on all stations.

I am planning on pulling the unit at least partially out to make sure connections in the back are OK, and also want to check the connection to the antenna on the fender. A quick lookover this week and I could not see a way to get access to the antenna connection under the antenna in the fender. Any tricks anyone knows?

I know the above checks are likely to be a long shot, and I will have to probably go with an aftermarket stereo at this point, as repairing the old unit is probably not worth the cost.

Any comments from some who have been down this path before?
  • Read my March 14 Post and subsequent reply. My power window problem was the black [non-permissible content removed] that pooled on top of the brushes and contacts at the bottom of the motor. I cleaned it up with QRC contact cleaner and saved $360 for the repair or $191 for the part. My post was in the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager section. I am new to this and don't know if I got it in the right section. Any help Steve for putting it in the right place?
    Thanks,
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    Here's the link:

soccerhorse, "Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager" #2065, 14 Mar 2005 10:22 pm

Hopefully owners of other makes with dead window motors will find the post by using our search tools.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Thanks soccerhorse for your info. which is very helpful. We had both front power window motors and regulators replaced on our 2001 DGC back in September 2003 for the same reason you described. It only cost us $100 since it was covered under warranty. I will keep this for later reference. Thanks for the link Steve.
  • ausueausue Posts: 1
    I've been looking too. My driver's side stopped working while under warranty, now the passenger side doesn't work (it goes down fine, it just won't go back up--very annoying). The dealer sells the part for $135, but I found some rebuilt ones on Ebay Motors for around $55 to $60 plus shipping. If they don't have the side you need, keep checking back. It will surely come back up soon. The ones I've seen offer a 3-6 month warranty.

Susan
  • Hi!

My Husband and I have a 96 Plymouth grand voyager, sometimes when he is driving everything on the instrument panel goes out. He has to pound on it to get it working again! The van still runs but he just dosn't know how fast he is going etc.. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie
  • I have a 2000 T%C Limited with 49K miles. At start up in the morning there is a loud knocking, tick-tick sound. As the engine warms up, it gets less and then disappears completely after about 5-10 minutes. Any ideas what it could be and would it be covered under a 50K/7 yr warranty? I appreciate any ideas.
  • I would like to change the transmission oil and I hvae heard the dodge trannys are very picky. I wonder if it is safe to use ATF plus 5 fluid that autozone sells?

My friend told me, the easiest way to change the oil is to loosen the lower hose from the transmission to the radiator, then turn the engine on and let it idle. Oil will come out. Stop the engine, after roughly 3 quarts have come out. Then reattach the hose and put in the new fluid.

Any comments and suggestions?

Thanks,

TP
  • impcproimpcpro Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Town & Country, the drivers side windows goes down and will not go up unless car re-started. Dealer says it needs a windows regulator, plus labor $400.
    Is this just a mechanical problem? Regulators sell for about $140. Does anybody know if it is an easy fix?
    Just had the O2 sensor replaced for $400. Dealer prices are ridiculous in San Francisco. I am afraid to take my Chrysler's to the dealer again.
    Thank you,
  • dougd7dougd7 Posts: 71
    TP - use the ATF+4 fluid that is available at your local Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer. Runs about $4/qt (recent price break - was $7/qt). Can also be purchased by the gallon for about $16/gallon. The gallon price may be lower - that was the price by the gallon when the quarts were priced at $7.

Do not use any other fluid from anywhere else!!!

You should also replace the filter. Since you have to drop the pan to get to the filter, I wouldn't "pump" the oil out. Granted you're only changing about 1/3 of the fluid by dropping the pan, but it's better than doing nothing.

Doug
  • Doug,
    Few days ago, I removed all but 4 crews (2 at each end of the longer side) which I just loosened by turning them 4 or 5 complete turns. But the oil did not come out. I used a screw driver to pry the pan out. Also to no avail. Is there a good way to get the pan out?

Thanks,

TP
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    If it goes back up, (even if you have to re-start first) I doubt it is the regulator. As you have already learned the dealer is not the place to be. There were recent posts about fixing baulky regulators recently.
  • cpadgettcpadgett Posts: 1
    I need info on how to get into the heater/ac fan on a 91 dodge caravan. It's not blowing at all and I can't figure out how to access the fan to check it out. Any ide4as will help!
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Bring it in now and get documentation of problem. They will say it's "normal", but get it fixed if it's still under warranty.
  • hutch8hutch8 Posts: 1
    would sombody please help me all i would like to know is what kind of model my transmission is i have looked every that i can think cant find a thing i have a 96 plymouth grand voyager 3.3L engine my tranny is leaking from every which direction inside and out wont hold fluid im assuming a internal gasket problem so also if someone can tell me where i can maybe find a good priced rebuild kit for it, it would be GREATLY appreciated thx
  • Sorry, no help yet. Got the exact same problem with a 91 Plymouth Voyageur so when I figure it out I'l get back to you. I think it's just hanging under the passenger side compartment but I just started looking at it today.
    I'm no mechanic so maybe someone else will see this post and give you a better response.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Check the rubber hoses that go from the transmission to the radiator. They are located on the drivers side top of the radiator. these can loosen and leak. If you can't detirmine the source of the leak, go to a self service car wash and open the hood and blast the engine and trans clean with the engine cleaner option to detirmine the source of the leak. The new trans hoses for the 96 are under $30.00.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    my 96 3.8 litre gr caravan is approaching 100k mi. and according to the manual should have the plugs/wires replaced. it still runs good and i wonder if at least some of the plugs may be "welded" to the block given the age and miles...anyone experience problems removing plugs and has anyone driven much over 100k mi w/o replacing the plugs? thanks...
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    re your infinity fm reception, my 96 had the same problem, it was intermittent for a while on fm, ok on am and cd, and eventually fm failed completely and all i heard was a loud hiss...local stereo shops said it was an internal receiver problem, forgot the name for the part gone bad, replacing with an original unit was too expensive so i opted for a nice sounding pioneer cd unit from crutchfield for a little over $100...it actually pulls in distant stations, both am and fm better, and crutchfield provides all the accessories you need for no additional charge...