Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Unfortunately, aftermarket steering wheels are not possible because of the airbag ;-) The steering wheel covers are a good idea though.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • potepote Member Posts: 1
    I have just noticed a similar problem in our left slider on our 98 GrVoy. I was planning on tearing it apart today and see what is up. Please post back here if you find anything.
  • abealiabeali Member Posts: 13
    It is really amusing and depressing at the same time reading all the posts about all the problems folks are having with their mini vans. It leads me to think that it all depends on the luck of the draw. It seems that regardless of which van one buys, GC, Ody, Sienna, etc., there is no shortage of complaints.

In 1998 I leased a 98 GC ES, fully loaded with leather and all, and I am getting ready to return it in 2 weeks with 300 miles under the allowed 45K. In three years of ownership and 45K of miles, I had nothing but pure pleasure with this car and almost no problems. I say "almost" because the only time the van went to the dealer was very early on to try and find a very subtle and muffled rattle coming from the lower dashboard. This brief sound shows up on rare occasion when laboring uphill and under power. They could not find anything to fix, and the problem was not really all that troublesome or frequent to be a source of irritation for us. Other than that, we had no trouble - no leaks, squeaks, failed components, bad transmissions, etc. - just normal maintenance.

Now we are facing the tough question: Do we go for another 2001 GC or the Ody? Reading all posts, it seems neither!! Our own experience with the 98 GC is positive, but the 2001 is also a fairly different van as I understand it. The Ody has the Honda name behind it, but also a bunch of owners with a bunch of complaints. What to do????

Is it all in the luck of the draw? And is it not just a sad fact that manufacturers of vans in this $30K+ price range have no clue on how to make vehicles with consistent reliability and earn our trust in the process?
  • bmalfarabmalfara Member Posts: 1
    WAS BUYING THIS VEHICLE A MISTAKE. EDMUNDS GAVE HIGH MARKS TO THE VOYAGER. I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL THE POWER STEERING UNIT FAILED RECENTLY. THE DEALER AND, ACCORDING TO HIM, THE "STAR" EXPERTS, ARE AT A LOSS FOR A REASON THE NEW PUMP DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY SAY THE RACK IS NOT HOLDING PRESSURE. THEY HAVE GIVEN ME A RENTAL CAR(FORD TAURUS)AND SAY PARTS ON NATIONAL BACK ORDER? (I SUSPECT A NEW RACK IS NEXT). I WANT/NEED MY VAN. HAVE KIDS!
    WHO CAN I CONTACT TO VOICE MY DISPLEASURE?
  • threeducksthreeducks Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 T+C had (has?) exactly the same problem. After driving you would have this horrible stink on your hands. It has gotten much less noticable over the last year, if that makes you feel any better.

Also, we just got the T+C back from the shop. The intake manifold was indeed leaking. The dealership fixed it better than new, but it was still a hassle to bring the car in, get a rental, come back to pick it up, etc. Now I have to keep an eye on the front valve cover gasket that appears to be leaking. Argh.
  • opa1944opa1944 Member Posts: 16
    I have 80,000 miles on my 96 EL and still love the way it looks and drives. I paid $1000 (Chrysler)in 1996 and have received over $3,000 worth of warranty work to date.

Just wanted to tell you that when I reached 45K I complained about the front bouncing too much (it wasn't)= new struts $50. At 76K I complained about a noisy belt sound(it was)=new water pump and power steering pump $50. At the same time I asked Dodge to check my transmission for slipping(it wasn't)=rebuild transmission for the same $50. At the same time the dealer tried to sell me brakes/rotors/wires/spark plugs ($800) which I Didn't need.

I did need to complain 5 times until I got a new radio-finally got that for the same $50. Also had (needed)generator, gas tank sending unit, window actuators, wiper motor, other items replaced under extended warranty.

I will continue complaining until I reach 99K or sell the van.

I will definitely buy another Dodge mini van in a year or 2.
  • peter74peter74 Member Posts: 2
    We've been without interior and dashboard lights on our '98 GC for a while. I replaced bulbs and fuses with no luck. If I turn the dashboard switch up all of the way and open the door, the chime does sound.
    My gas station mechanic claims it's the body control module, which costs at least $400. They also believe lots of dealers are replacing this under warranty, even if the car is beyond warranty. Anyone have any luck getting this replaced for free?
  • dovey1dovey1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Sport that I love. I just hit 4000 miles and all of the sudden it is so noisy I can't stand it. What could have happened to cause the noise all of the sudden and can it be fixed? I sounds like I am driving in a wind tunnel. We had no problem talking to the passengers in the rear seat in the beginning-now have to shout and I find myself turning the stereo up to a point where it is too loud just to drown out the wind noise. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • alan69alan69 Member Posts: 2
    In response to poster opa1944 ...are you crazy?
    You stated:
    I have 80,000 miles on my 96 EL and still love the way it looks and drives. I paid $1000 (Chrysler) in 1996 and have received over $3,000 worth of warranty work to date. Just wanted to tell you that when I reached 45K I complained about the front bouncing too much (it wasn't) new struts $50. At 76K I complained about a noisy belt sound(it was)=new water pump and power steering pump $50. At the same time I asked Dodge to check my transmission for slipping (it wasn't)=rebuild transmission for the same $50. At the same time the dealer tried to sell me brakes/rotors/wires/spark plugs ($800) which I Didn't need. I did need to complain 5 times until I got a new radio-finally got that for the same $50. Also had (needed) generator, gas tank sending unit, window actuators, wiper motor, other items replaced under extended warranty.
    I will continue complaining until I reach 99K or sell the van.
    I will definitely buy another Dodge mini van in a year or 2.

Why would you want to buy another piece of crap? Are you proud of the fact that you had to have it in the shop so many times? We have 86,000 miles on the van and have had it in for repairs as much, if not more than you (the transmission had to be replaced at about 24,000 miles; the roller on the engine that hods the serpentine belt has now broken twice and is not covered by the warranty) and I am definitely not proud of that fact, or that I purchased a 1996 Chrysler T&C. In March of 96 it had the most features at the time and that is the main reason we purchased it . If I were to have to buy another mini van today, it would either be the Toyota Sienna or the Honda Odyssey. I too purchased the extended warranty with the $50 deductible and have had the same and more problems as you have had. Want to know what I found out late last year from Chrysler when I called to make a complaint about (extended) warranty coverage (actually a lack thereof)? We could have gotten an extended warranty that covered everything with no deductible, only the dealer did not offer it!
    While it rides nice, there is a great deal of wind noise and it has been too much trouble for what it cost.
    No matter how sexy Chrysler makes cars and vans look, until the Chrysler engineers learn something from the Daimler-Mercedes engineers, I refuse to buy another Chrysler product.
    In Jan of 2000 I replaced my Ford Ranger pick-up with a 2000 Honda Accord V-6, I shopped around allover the Internet and various dealers and paid only $55 over invoice. It now has 27,000 miles on it with not an ounce of trouble. When it comes times to replace the Chrysler T&C, we will probably go for the Acura MDX (we need the seating) or the equivalent Honda branded vehicle if it is available.
    The worst investment one ever makes is in a car. Why buy something that you know will cost you more in the long run, regardless of the initial low price.
  • opa1944opa1944 Member Posts: 16
    Alan:

No I not crazy!! Every car made today has its share of problems. Yes I bought insurance for $1,000 financed over 5 years=$200/yr. In the real world very few companies know how to spell PRIDE when manufacturing/building/selling its product. The only word they know is PROFIT-at the expense of the consumer. As consumers we must protect ourselves against the SECOND BEST QUALITY that most companies practice.

I was lucky enough to find a Dodge dealer 5 minutes from my home who is greedy enough to bill the warranty work to Chrysler.

I am sure that many Chrysler/CM/Ford owners have few problems. We seldom hear from them.

My point is to find the best car for you and protect yourself with an extended warranty. Until PRIDE replaces PROFIT as #1 we will all encounter these shortcomings in all cars-US/JAPANESE/ETC.
  • dbedrocksdbedrocks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Voyager and am also experience a wind noise problem when traveling at about 60-65 mph. I have also notice that when the heating fan is on high and I am outside the car the air is leaking out in the area of the sliding doors and producing a loud whistling sound. The dealer has not been able to locate the problem yet.

Dave...
  • jca1013jca1013 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Grand Caravan with 68,000 miles. The transmission is slipping and the dealer says that it needs to be rebuilt at a cost of $2100. I understand that there are a lot of transmission problems with Caravans of this era. Does anyone have similar experiences? Any luck getting Chrysler to help pay for this? A transmission should go longer than 68K. I have owned plenty of cars and this is the first time I have had to repair a transmission.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Try these sites:

www.lemonaidcars.com (Canadian site, but with quite a bit of info on DaimlerChrysler van defects and trying to remediate them).

Another independent site (the owner successfully sued DaimlerChrysler over a defective A604 unit):

http://badtrans.webprovider.com/home.htm

• royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Dave: I saw a device demonstrated on a car repair TV show which was a wand like device that detected leaks around a car window as it passed near the leak site. It looked like devices used to detect freon leaks and seemed very effective. I wonder if body shops are more likely to have such equipment.
    jca1013: Check out Oct '99 Consumer Reports article on "Hidden Warranties"
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    If you think taking your van to a Chrysler dealer guarantees you will get the correct fluid, then think again. Better ask the mechanic that's doing the fluid change what type fluid is being used, and make sure to get the fluid type being used printed on your receipt.

See the following links, especially the first one. You would think a so called Chrysler master mechanic would at least know how to spell Dexron.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chryslers_MiniVans/message/691

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

http://www.autosite.com/garage/repairqa/ques123.asp

http://www.carshowtomt.com/tc/?article=Effects_of_Heat

http://www.autoshop-online.com/cchtml/prev.fac.cons.html

• chrydodjeep1chrydodjeep1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I thing I realized is that most people who profess to be "experts" on the Internet are usually clueless. The Chrysler trannies perform well, but they are sensitive to maintenance.

As far as problems, let's see, Chrysler has sold how many millions of these vans? Statistically there should be more problems reported on these boards than on the Honda's. It is one of those things where the only people who post are the ones who have something to complain about.

That being said, check out the maintenance costs on a Honda vs. a Chrysler van.

Who's the guy in post #616? I've seen the exact same post on other boards.

I for one would love a used 300M if I was in the market. Great cars. Who cares if most people buy what everyone else does?
  • bdanbdan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced problems with the delay wipers quitting and needing to be reset?
    I have had my 98 Plymouth Voyager in for repair of this problem 4 times now. It is an intermittent problem and numerous things have been done to correct the problem.
    When I turn the delay wiper on to various settings (and I've tried them all), they may swipe a few times, then it appears the wiper "jumps" and quits. At this point, none of delay wiper setting work, and I need to turn wipers off and then back on. When I turn the wipers off, the blades will swipe windshield from 2-4 times before shutting off.

I am becoming very frustrated. Any suggestions? I have an appointment for next week to have technicians look at vehicle AGAIN.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    jsylvester, I just read last week that DC made their 8 millionth minivan. The amount of compaints factored into that number is small.
  • rotator2rotator2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a DC caravan used with 47000 on it to be surprised with a broke down tranny at 51000 two months later and was disappointed very highly so contacted Chrysler and we are working on a joint effort to replace tranny since I believe they have been getting a lot of messages on this and know it is their fault since in todays smart engineering they are getting worse instead of better.
    Looking at the April '01 Consumer Reports reliability survey reports (from surveys April '00) the Caravan is somewhere between Tom's post "The amount of complaints ... is small" and Legg's opinion that "they are getting worse".
    CR lists Caravan '93-'97 and Grand Caravan '93-'97 (and Plymouth Voyagers) as Used Cars To Avoid due to reliability ratings. On the other hand, except for the new model problems of '96, each year has generally had better reliability than the previous especially for transmission problems. Both the '98 and '00 have average problem rates for transmission.
    I am a satisfied owner of a '95 Caravan and I pay extra attention to the transmission service, both interval of 15K and fluid and I added a transmission cooler for $30 and 1 1/2 hour work.
  • jimo1776jimo1776 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 96 Grand Caravan right off the lot fully loaded. We fell in love with the roomyness and styling. Front and rear air and room for 7. The perfect choice right?
    Well our first troubles began days after we drove it off the lot. To our surprise the gas gauge would only show about 15 gal. of gas? Hmmmm 20 gal. tank... so back it went for a new gas tank and sending unit (3 days). while it was there I had them re-twist the rear passenger seat belts, they were installed backwards ? later that summer ( we bought the van in April ) The A/C gave off the most foulest of smells just as you started it up...ok back it went for a deorderizing :) 1 day. In October with less then 8K miles the windshield wipers would go on by themselves (front) sooo back it went for a new switch...1 day. Heres where the fun begins right after the winter of 97 we started hearing a squeaking sound, I took it in and the service rep informed me that the water pump needed to be replaced...1 day. when I drove the van back home the squeak was still there, when I called to inquire why, I was told that it made no noise when the mechanic road tested it. So I brought it back 2 days later and was informed that the idle tension pulley had to be replaced...another day since they discovered that they were out of stock for this item and it would have to be ordered (They had the van for 5 hours before they noticed that). In August of 97 I lost a rotor to improper brake wear nothing was covered by the dealer on this, except re-adjusting the rear drums. Up til now the van only had about 15K miles. went through the winter of 98 with out so much squeak then in May of 98 while on a trip to PA about 40 miles I started smelling antifreeze but could not see any leaks. I pulled into a service station and asked one of the mechanics on duty to take a look...Was I shocked " oh you have a blown head gasket " "and by the way I also noticed that both front struts are leaking" So off we went again back to my 5 star dealer who verified the bad gaskets and struts.3days later I got the van back only to notice that they damaged the cowling that rest's behind the hood where the wipers are located. After a much heated debate with the service rep. and his boss who both claimed that their mechanic would never have had to remove it, asked the mechanic who did the repairs " oh yes " the mechanic said, "I had to remove it to pull the heads off" So a new cowling was installed. I had to come back on that Sat. August that same year while on a drive with the family not more then a 100 miles out the transmission blows and I have to have it flatbeded back to my dealer. They have no clue why it failed other then to say that they have heard reports that some transmissions were failing ? So it was replaced with a brand new one ( not rebuilt )3 days. Since then the vans low oil pressure light goes on and off in any traffic that I may sit in. It also makes a terrible rapping noise when it starts sounds like like there is no oil getting up top ? it does go away after 5 seconds or so, and the oil pan is leaking arround the gasket ( again ) Its going back this week for the rapping noise and the idle tension pulley which is failing again. All in all this vehicle has been a nightmare to keep. We bought it for weekend jaunts and maybe one day of travel to work. Thats it ! I have kept it in mint condition without a scratch or ding and it always gets the best of service every 3000 miles. I never skimp on anyone of the vehicles I have owned. But I must say this one has tried my patience to the limit. My experience with the dealership I purchased it from was dismal to say the least. How they keep their 5 star rating is beyond me. The only thing that goes into this van after they fix it is a forsale sign. Thank god I purchased the bumper to bumper extended coverage. It would have cost us a fortune. Never again will I allow my feelings to be swayed by the slogan "BUY AMERICAN" oh and it has 39K miles as of this posting.... we are just plain scared to drive it.
  • tanderson6tanderson6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Plymouth Grand Voyager that just stalls and after a while you drive it like nothing happened. I have had a diagnostic test and fuel test and they cannot find anything wrong.
    It seems to be an electrical glitch. Can anyone help me???
    Thomas: Check www.allpar.com/fix/stall.html
  • fly6869fly6869 Member Posts: 17
    My 2001 Town and Country EX has 1500 miles on it now and has had the following work performed already. Power steering rack replaced because of a leak, timing chain cover replaced because of a leak, roof rack replaced, and a front end alignment. All in a months time..Sad
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    As our loaded 1999 GC SE at 25 months and 25,400 miles has had ZERO...that is NO problems.
    None of the many DC minivans owned by many friends has had problems. I simply do NOT believe the doom and gloom CR and other suspect publications have reported.
    However, there are occasional lemons of any product and if one is so misfortunate to get a lemon, my experience has shown that a lemon will become known within 7 to 10 days of purchase. It happened to us with a NEW 1972 Volvo 145S, a NEW 1975 VW Rabbit, a used 1977 VW Bus, a NEW 1980 Chevy Citation. Although we kept the Volvo 3 years, we learned to GET RID OF A LEMON as soon as practical so the next 3 lemons stayed with us approximately 1 year each. The Chevrolet dealer was the only one that tried to fix our lemon quickly each time a new problem occured.
    The sad part about being unfortunate to get a lemon is the fact that if many problems occur they will occur soon after purchase AND many problems just keep occuring. GET RID of a lemon as soon as you can.
    Read in the Odyssey Forums (and forums for any vehicle). There are even NEW lemons wearing the Honda Badge.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    Has said on many posts he recomended ODY LX to his inlaws as the best van at msrp. Yet I have seen him post that Honda has a 50% problem with mech. failures from his friends expierances. He also continuosly refers to Honda problem sites to try and make his points and then praises the Honda ODY. Go figure?? Very, Very inconsistent Carl you need to step back and take a look at what your talking about.
    Classic point above by h20guy. I have written many times "Odyssey is best buy at MSRP" and then "DC buyers do NOT pay MSRP". I have also stated we did NOT buy the 1999 Odyssey LX-C we ordered March 16, 1999 at Ken Garff Honda after Honda owners told us of Accord transmission failure, Accord engine failure, Accord electrical problems. Now that we have experienced the great comfort of Dual Zone Temp Control, padded armrests on the doors, quality stereo, etc....it would be very difficult to drive and ride in a van that stresses cargo hauling. The Odyssey is the best buy if your main concern is cargo hauling capacity.
    None of the MANY friends who own and have owned DC minivans have had problems while more than 50% of Honda Accords owned by friends have had major mechanical problems.
    For the record, my sister and her husband have ordered a 2001 Taffeta White Odyssey EX...She is my sister and the van is an EX.
    Why do Odyssey owners troll in every DC forum?
    Last time I checked Carl.:) Just to keep you honest. BTW I have had 51% of my friends that have had problems with their DCs and 0% of Honda owners "I" know have had problems with Honda's.;] OK folks I'm outa here sorry for the interferance just trying to make a point to carl. I have a sister inlaw who has owned a 1990 caravan since brand new, with no problems till 2000 and only cost them $550.00 for repairs to the trans. I do praise Hondas but never ever have I dogged DC vans or cars. Just keeping Carl honest.
    I have identified the Honda Accord problem vehicles by year and owner's first name with initial of last name. To repeat: Sue B. with 1988 Accord with transmission failure. Natalie K. with 1989 Accord with both engine and transmission failure. Judy W. with 1991 Accord EX with electrical problems never totally fixed. Omar S. (my son in law) with 1984 Accord that had both engine and transmission replaced at 150,000 miles. He and my daughter cannot use it as too many other things broke last year. Meanwhile, the 1978 Impala has 187,000 miles (10,000 MORE miles on original engine and transmission than newer Honda Accord achieved with both engine and transmission rebuild).
    Too many satisfied DC minivan owners to print here. Kurt J. for example, loved his 2 DC minivans so well he traded the 1996 Grand Voyager in on a NEW 2000 Grand Caravan LE last summer. John P. got a used pre-1996 Grand Voyager from his Baptist preacher and drove it well over 100,000 miles by the time I retired in 1996 and did NOT even require a tune-up. My sister Louise P. got a used 1986 Caravan SE that had 150,000 miles with no problems. It is still running well for the 3rd satisfied owner....and the list of satisfied owners goes on and on and on and on....
    I'm throwing my hands up in the air in defeat. You've proved it all beyond the shadow of a doubt!! I'm just not sure what you proved? :) BTW: thats a new flag your flying isn't it?
    For those who wish to look at data rather than whether Carl's conclusions are better than John's(h20guy) you could check out the April '01 Consumer Reports reliability surveys which compile about 500,000 subscribers reports from April '00. However, since Carl objects (it doesn't support his view), you could look here on Edmunds for reliability scores and for example, the '95 Caravan score is 6.6(the range is about 4.9-9.9), '95 Honda Accord 4 dr EX score is 8.2; '96 Caravan-5.2, Honda-8.8; '97 Caravan-6.6, Honda-8.9; '98 Caravan-8.1, Honda 8.2.
    Since those years were a completly different vehicle than the 1999 and later Odysseys. The only thing shared is the name.
    Go read in the Town Hall Odyssey Problems forums to read of the many problems with 1999 Odysseys. Check out April 2001 issue of CR on many problems of 1999 Odyssey. It will be interesting to see how the Odyssey holds up when my sister and brother in law get their NEW 2001 Taffeta White Odyssey EX.
    The Odyssey has some nice features: Large, economical standard 3.5L V6; adjustable middle row seating (bench or separate seats with armrests); large cargo behind 3rd seat; "Magic Seat" for even more cargo space. I would like to see DC incorporate them in DC vans...or have Honda include some nice DC features such as separate temperature control for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers; high quality stereo with both cassette and CD. It would be nice if both also had the large 25.5 gal fuel tank and optional 8 passenger seating of Venture or the more comfortable seats of Sienna.
  • andyeandye Member Posts: 4
    I have a '98 Grand Caravan Sport with tinted windows and find that the backup lights are practically useless. Just to be well balanced, Chrysler put useless fog lights on the front. This is my second Chrysler van following a '90 Grand Voyager. I like these vehicles and have had reasonably good performance otherwise, but would really like to find good fixes for the light problems. Does anyone know of a replacement for the backup light assembly or good low profile under the bumper lights? What about the fog lights? Any suggestions for enhancing them or a replacement that will fit the bumper cutout?

I'm new to this group and apologize if this issue was chewed on way back in the other 633 plus messages.
    Carl, in #628 you said "None of the MANY friends who own DC minivans have had problems while more than 50% of Honda Accord owners owned by friends have had major mechanical problems." So the reliability data in my post #632 is comparing Caravan to ACCORD. What that has to do with Odyssey reliability I do not know. In post #628 did you mean to say your friends had problems with Odysseys?

Andye: You did not say the size of your fog light cutout, but Subaru has a kit for mid'90's Legacies that is 3 3/8"x4 3/4". I wonder if aiming is your problem since fog lights are made to illuminate low and a bit closer than standard low beams. The issue of adequate lighting seems rather subjective, though some owners have reported improvements they liked but I do not recall the details - hopefully you will get further replies.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Van Airbags New Worry For Chrysler

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rbrillantesrbrillantes Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading in several forums about transmission problems that owners have experienced, and how they will never buy another Caravan/Voyager again. The following sites contain some useful information [useful to me anyway] specifically concerning Caravan/Voyager transmission maintenance issues.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans-testimonials.html

I'm wonder if many of the owners that have experienced transmission problems are actually affected by someone using the wrong fluid type from the get-go. I'd be interested in finding out what the percentages are that this is the case, and in many of these failures, the initial cause of degradation of the unit itself.

Without competent and knowledgable service people in our auto stores, independant shops, quick change oil shops, and even certified dealerships... how do we really know that they used the correct transmission fluid when replacement or topping off is needed? How do we know they are recommending the correct transmission fluid at all? Many people don't stop to question the recommendation, thinking those individuals should know what they're taking about, heck, they work in an auto parts store...

After reading the posts of owners that finally scrutinized the shop or the mechanic that worked on their vehicles, I am now going to take a more active role in finding out was used to replace or add to my transmission. I know there are other things that can cause transmission failure, but this one simple factor seems to be a major player in the difference of a healthy unit or one that will cost big bucks in the longrun.

Just purchased our 1st minivan. 2001 DGC ES 3.8L. New to this forum. Wanted to share some of my finding with other owners. Regards!

• fetch33fetch33 Member Posts: 3
    Help! The paint on my white DGC is flaking off the rear hatch. There is a place about 5" by 3" on the top of the hatch and a place starting under the window about an inch square. The paint can be scratched off with a fingernail. I took it to a body shop and the technician told me I had a bad E-coat. Has anyone heard of this problem? Do I have a snowballs chance in Hades to get Dodge to pick up the tab to fix this? It's out of warrenty, BTW.

Lisa
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This discussion may be of interest.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    rbrilliantes: Your hypothesis that wrong transmission fluid "seems to be a major player ..." in failures seems unlikely to me. At least since the mid '90's I would guess it is a "minor player". Could you give some data to support your conclusion.
    Wouldn't the Chrysler warranty payment department be overjoyed if all they had to do was document that a failed unit had dexron in it and deny the claim for owner error. I've never seen a post of an owner having this happen. On the other hand, the high failure rate in '89 and '90 before the Mopar 7176 fluid was formulated was in part fluid related. Do you suppose the dealers got notice in bold print when this fluid change was made.
    There is considerable evidence and owner posts here that transmission failures have occurred in vans getting exclusively dealer service and in some cases vans that have not had enough miles for even one service. I think it is important to not blame the victims of these failures. One Edmunds poster, Hoofer, has a web site devoted to the methods and benefits of preventive maintenance. He even sends fluid samples for spectrographic analysis and when his Caravan transmission failed at about 67000 miles and well out of warranty, he was able to get Chrysler to pay most of the replacement cost because he had used the dealer for each prescribed service. I would not be so lucky because I bought my van used and I do my own service. When it fails I'll be out of pocket as will most of us with vans past warranty. Other important factors in reducing transmission failures are the following: 1)Read the load and trailer weight limits and avoid exceeding them, 2) models before'99, add a transmission cooler ($35 if you do-it-yourself), 3) If the engine temp gage rises anywhere close to the high mark, do something to limit the heat such as turn off the AC and/or turn on the heater or slow down and shift to a lower gear or stop and cool down, 4) avoid excessive wheel spin when on slick roads or stuck 5)do not shift into "D" while rolling backward, 6) when parking on a grade-engage the parking brake before shifting into "P", 7) turn overdrive off in slow city driving (per my '95 Caravan owners manual).
    I like my wife's '95 Caravan and I hope I'm luckier than Hoofer and others with premature failures.
  • hclelandhcleland Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 GC, and need to give my van a charge, anyone know when the ac in these vans were updated to the 134a AC gas??

Was thinking of doing it myself, any advice??
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The refrigerant requirement should be listed under the hood somewhere -on the radiator cowl, or another sticker somewhere near there.
    Heath: Haynes repair manual says R-134a was used in '93 and later models- maybe you're in luck. Also note I've had repair techs say that major parts replacement are required if a system loses its charge to eliminate the leak and my local mechanic who services a '92 Camry I own says this is not the case. The car has no detectable leak now (just recharged) and he suspects the seals develop slow leaks in sub 0 winter conditions and are sealed otherwise. He does not recommend an $800 parts swap to get 4 or 5 new $.75 seals.
  • drjdrumdrjdrum Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2000 TC LX almost a year ago. It has been in the dealer shop six times for an alignment problem that they cannot fix. The van will consistently veer to the right - you must always apply corrective steering to keep it straight. No matter how many times the van is put on the rack, it always loses it's alignment after a few hours of driving. Also, I have a constant "crackling" sound in the steering column when turning. Anyone else encountered these problems?
    Thanks
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    Some suggestions:

1 - If they can't fix it in six tries, you may have recourse under your state lemon laws. Suggest you start following the lemon process as defined in the law.
    2 - Has someone from the service department rode with you in the car and heard the crackling noise? If not, set up a time mid-day to have them do so. Once they understand the noise and how to duplicate it they are much more likely to fix it.
    3 - Sometimes an alignment problem is due to a defective tire. I had one with a broken belt. Have you rotated tires to see if the characteristics of the pull change?
    4 - Have you been going to the same shop? Sometimes a given service department just is not good at diagnosing certain problems. Try calling a well-respected local mechanic who specializes in DC minivans and ask if he's seen this before.
  • andyeandye Member Posts: 4
    Changing spark plugs on my '90 Voyager was a snap once I learned to put the van on ramps and slide under to easily reach up to get the rear three plugs. Just looked under my my '98 AC Sport expecting the same clear space... surprise! I found heat shields blocking access and an exhaust manifold pipe also in the way. Does anyone know the "easiest" way to replace these plugs without going to a mechanic?
  • fawkesgfawkesg Member Posts: 9
    ...in a 1996 Voyage (Base)?

We have had two head gasket replacements (one after only 500 miles and then another at 40K).

Then we discovered oil leakage into the air intake manifold. The dealer said it was due to a gummed-up PCV valve and replaced it, did an "induction" cleaning and replace the plugs. A month later I discovered oil was still leaking into the air intake manifold.

The dealer then tried replacing the "Cam sensor" as he thought this might be where the leak was. When that didn't work, he replaced the valve cover as there is a "baffle" in this cover that is supposed to prevent oil from being drawn into the manifold. This has just been done, so I am not sure whether the problem is fixed or not.

The dealer gave me "a big break" on parts and labor (which was true--I was only charged $230 for the Cam sensor and the valve cover work.) This made me think that maybe they didn't quite get if fixed or it was a latent defect problem. I went to the web and found two TSB's on this engine dealing with oil seepage at the CAM sensor and oil seepage through the valve cover baffle. The upshot is valve cover problem is (according to the TSB) often misdiagnosed as a head gasket problem.

Now I wonder if I really ever had head gasket problem, or if it was the valve cover all along! I'll cross my fingers and hope the problems fixed. If not, I would appreciate any suggestions.

[Please excuse any terminology errors--I know nothing about engines.]
  • fawkesgfawkesg Member Posts: 9
    ....or is it just marking its territory?
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I leased a new T&C LTD in May 98. After approx. 3000 miles, the transmission began to go into neutral on acceleration(freewheel, the lever did not pop into neutral) driving in the mountains, with no warning. The van was still driveable to complete our day in the mountains. The transmission had to be replaced at the dealer. Over the next 41,000 miles, we never had a single transmission problem or issue. I just leased a new '01 T&C. While I will buy an extended warranty for protection, the van is too nice of a vehicle to pass up for the possible transmission concern.
    They took it into Dodge dealer who added some dye to find the source of the leak. The Caravan has not leaked since and the van now has almost 29,000 miles. Magic? Meanwhile, our 99 GC SE is 26 months old and has 27,331 miles with zero problems. It appears that we will never have problems with our GC just as none of the many friends who own DC minivans. Most owners of DC minivans are repeat buyers since the DC have been completely reliable.