Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    There is a very good possibility that you have two evaporators in your van, one in the dash and one behind the right rear wheel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • xdaax51xdaax51 Posts: 1
    I had yhe same problem in my 96 grand caravan my bet is if you turn off the a/c and defroster it will go away. if it does the compressor is ready to sieze up. My fuel pump also went. not an easy fix it is in the fuel tank. about 400.00 for fuel module and 225.00 labor at the dealer. good luck
  • aprendizaprendiz Posts: 17
    I got this code for Voyager 2000, any ideas for troubleshooting it?
    Thanks
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Look underneath back by the gas tank and you should see the charcoal cannister. Check it for loose or cracked hoses for starters. That's what the issue was with our 2001.
  • shipo - I had a similiar problem with my 2005 Grand Caravan - luckily it was still under warranty so the dealer replaced the hinge motor.
  • I've had two Dodge minvans and with both I heard a hummimg noise from the back of the vehicle. Never considered the fuel pump. Of course the dealer never heard of such noises. I always thought it was the brakes rubbing. I'll pay more attention to when the gas level is low. It would always happen when making left turns.
  • My 2005 Grand Caravan SXT is experiencing a P0303 with only 36500 miles.
  • I have a 1999 Town and Country that had a radiator fan short and blew one of the 40 amp fuses and the "service engine soon" light came on. After I fixed the fan motor, it works fine, but the error light is still on. I have tried to see if there is something else wrong by reading the codes using the ignition on-off sequence I heard mentioned in this forum, but I cannot get it to work. Is the procedure described in detail somewhere or does it just not work in my van?
  • I have a 1999 Town and Country that had a radiator fan short, blew one of the 40 amp fuses and the "service engine soon" light came on. After I fixed the fan motor, it works fine, but the error light is still on. I have tried to see if there is something else wrong by reading the codes using the ignition on-off sequence I heard mentioned in this forum, but I cannot get it to do anything other than show me miles. Is the procedure described in detail somewhere or does it just not work in my van?
  • dilipcdilipc Posts: 1
    I have 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have similar problem. My van run OK most of the time, but every few days while I am driving, it will stall. It seems like gas doesn't reach engine. Most of the time it restarts immediately. On few occasions, it will start after 20-30 minutes. I took it to the dealer, but he could not figure out the problem as it is not easily reproducible. Any help will be appreciated.
  • royallenroyallen Posts: 223
    Your issue with the "service engine sson" light is that for most error codes, a scan tool is needed to reset the code after the repair. Most parts stores will do this for you if you bought their part. Some codes will reset after many engine off-restart cycles. I do not know what years have the off-on-off-on-off-on code display capability.
  • royallenroyallen Posts: 223
    You might find a troubleshooting repair manual for your van to see several possibilities. They include fuel problems as well as electrical ones, the latter being more common. I would start by carrying a timing light so when the problem occurrs I could easily check for presence or absence of spark. Maybe a mechanic friend could loan you one. Roy
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Not saying this is your problem but all of these new vehicles seem sensitive to loose/bad ground connections. Try cleaning and tightening the ground at the battery and at the engine. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's good PM.
  • denise5denise5 Posts: 9
    In June of 2005 I had to have my transmission taken apart and fixed. I had to take it in 3 times before it was fixed. The problem was I lost power and could not go faster than 20. With help from the Daimler Corp. it cost me $540. It would have been $1900. Well....Then July 2006 I was getting stuck in 2nd gear. They replaced input and output sensors. $230. They told me my engine mount was broken also. I had no money to fix that. 2 weeks later the same problem was happening. Back the car dealer...They said they fixed it and I had them fix the motor mount also. $340. Oh, and my air conditioner was leaking on the passenger side like forever...they fixed that too. About 4 days later the car is sticking in 1st and 2nd gear. Its in the shop now and they cannot find out whats wrong with it. I'm without a car again this weekend. What is going on? I've spent $1100 since 6/05 on a 2002 car. I think Daimler is going to get another phone call from me!!!!!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    How many miles on the car?
    75,000 miles. Mostly highway miles not city. If that matters....?
  • There goes my transmission again !!

We've had our 99 caravan worked on as in the previous post (msg 4120)...just picked it up on July 29,2006.

Well the latest problem (August 25,2006) is that the van won't go past 1st gear it gets stuck. We're going to have it towed into the dealer again :cry: hopefully I'll hear good news....like they'll replace the tranny if you can even call that good news.

Does anyone know if there's ever been a recall on the dodge caravan for transmission problems....I've noticed that alot of people have been having problems with them according to the forum.

I'll keep every one updated. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
  • stedyekstedyek Posts: 8
    This looks like is should be easy enough, but I've one question : should I have the window all the way up and taped in place before swapping out the motor ? (It's on the passenger front.)
    The car dealership took my transmission apart 6/05 on 2002 grand caravan. Dodge has been using the same transmission for the last 15 years. Mine was making a whistling sound and I could not go faster than 20mph. They replaced a converter, seal ....They were going to charge me $1900. I called the Daimler Corp. and a representative got the cost down to $540. After that work I had to take it back 2 more times because trans. was leaking. They fixed that problem at no cost. My car is at the shop again for the 6th time because I get stuck in 2nd gear. They replaced the input and output sensors but it still does it and the engine light is on. I paid $230 for this work, but I'm not paying them another penny. I don't think it was the sensors so they can apply the $230 to whatever is wrong. I'm so mad!!!! Oh...when I took it in for getting stuck in 2nd they told me my engine mount was broken. They showed it to me. That cost $340 to fix. Plus my air condition was leaking on the passenger side. They fixed that. They said that is a common problem in these cars. arggghhhh I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer to see if they found out what is wrong with my car.
  • stedyekstedyek Posts: 8
    If it ever gets fixed then I would trade it in asap.
    I'm sorry the transmission problem was in 04/05. Bad car,,,bad car.
  • We just bought a used 2000 Chrysler T&C Limited. It has the buttons to program the seat positions & mirror for two drivers, but we didn't get an owner's manual so I don't know how to program it. Can anyone help me to figure this out?
  • Dealer should have the owners manual for about $10.00. :shades:
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I have noticed the disc brakes on our new 2006 Grand Caravan sure create a lot of black dust. Not a big deal, just a cosmetic issue, makes the wheels dirty up very quickly, but they certainly changed the pad formulation from our 1996 Caravan, which produced no black dust at all. Anybody know what changed?
  • b4carsb4cars Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Dodge Caravan. It has a code of P0106 on check engine light on. Does anyone know what is the problem and how to fix it? I am experiencing the gas goes fast.
    Thanks in advance.
    Yup, lots changed, not the least of which is that a German company now owns all of the MOPAR brands. The next time you're out, look at the front wheels of any German car and you'll see quantities of black dust. What's it from? Well, I've heard conflicting reports that range anywhere from the German DOT (or whatever their equivalent is) requiring brake pads high in graphite to a "truism" that says that the higher performing the brake pad is, the higher the dusting factor.

What I do know is that there are some aftermarket ceramic pads that don't dust anywhere near the level of the OEM pads that come on the Gen4 DC MiniVans. I've also heard second hand that DC makes a line of their own ceramic pads that are available through your dealer that are low dusters as well. You might want to ask your dealer about them.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hi, I'm replacing the same one and have spent the whole day trying to figure out how to wind up the cables and put the "wheel" back in the regulator housing. I've taped the window so it is in the Up position and have tried feeding the cables on both sides of the wheel but can't get it right. Did you have any success? Thanks.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I've noticed the same "excess brake dust" issue on our 2005 T&C. By far, this van produces more brake dust than any car I have ever owned. My Wife drives the van and I drive a 2004.5 VW Passat and the Passat produces no where near the brake dust as our van does.
    "My Wife drives the van and I drive a 2004.5 VW Passat and the Passat produces no where near the brake dust as our van does."

I'm surprised, my previous Passat was a VERY heavy duster (until I changed to aftermarket pads that is).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Yes I have noticed, especially VW's, create a lot of brake dust. Haven't paid enough attention to Mercedes, there aren't enough of them around for me to judge.

The dusting is not a real big deal to me, just cosmetic. I might change to ceramic pads when the van needs a brake job but that will be hopefully quite a few years down the road.

I have also noticed they really have rearranged a lot of component placement under the hood. Air filter is on the passenger side, looks to be much more easily accessed, and in general there appears to be more free space under the hood than in the 1996. I might even be able to get to the back set of plugs myself when they need changing, long into the future. I sold the 1996 at 89K miles, so never had to change plugs on that one, as they were 100K platinum plugs.

Otherwise, I cannot complain at all about the initial quality. Only thing I found was a small paint flaw way down low on the rail below the passenger sliding door. Appeared to have paint over some excess sealant. But it is so low and out of the way I am not going to complain. Otherwise, paint and panel fitup is very good and I have found no other cosmetic or functional flaws, inside or out.

Amazing how silent the van is inside. I always thought our old 1996 Caravan was a very quiet vehicle, but the GC, even with those big Stow and Go "drum" storage recesses, is even quieter than the '96. Don't know how anyone could complain about the engine and drive train from a noise/vibration standpoint. Overall it seems very smooth and quiet. Downshifts on inclines are so smooth you basically only notice it when the tachometer jumps up. This "old tech" drive train is just about as refined as it can be made. Not bad for only a bit over $19.5K.