Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• My 1999 T&C has a similar problem. It is at 105k miles.

I was told to add 6oz of Auto-RX and drive for 1000 miles (it is at 400 miles now) and then I plan to go to dealer to flush/exchange the transmission oil. Hope this will solve my problem probably yours.

Try reading at this site www.auto-rx.com
    At least my trial on engine works, it cleans the engine and restore a lot of power back.
  • I was driving along and smelled some bad stuff. Opened hood and my ac compressor on my 97 plymouth g voyager was smoking and black oil was all over. It finally seized and the serpentine belt broke. A shop replaced the compressor with a used one but said he didnt recharge it because he doesnt do it. Can I just recharge it myself? Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Oops

I have a 93 voyager that has a driveability issue. Whenever i accelerate the van wants to shake sometimes violently, but when i let off the gas it smooths out. At slow speeds it almost feels like i have a tire that is loose or bent. any ideas please let me know

Thanks
  • I too have just run into this exact issue. Any luck tracking down the cause?
  • Try changing the position (tilt) of the steering wheel and retry.
  • iyeriyer Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 plymouth voyager 3.3 liter v6 van.

It has been showing "service engine soon" when I start and drive the van.

I checked the earlier forum info and someone mentioned to start the key and not start the engine and it should give a code, but no code showed.

Help.
  • iyeriyer Posts: 2
    Also, on my 1998 voyager v6 3.3 liter van, when i drive i hear a bothering click-click noise coming from the tire side.

in one of the msgs it was said it has something to do with
    wheel bearing or something.

can you provide some info.
  • 3LV6, runs fine as long as tank is kept topped off. If falls below 2/3 of a tank, stalls and chokes off and won't restart. If you let it sit for an hour or so, it will run long enough to get you to a nearby gas station (within 2 miles) so that you can top off, which seems to relieve the problem. Have replaced the spark plugs/wires, ignition coil, and the throttle position sensor, per the computer diagnostics. Also, not sure if related or not, but low fuel light blinks off and on occasionally, not related to level of fuel in tank (could be completely full). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • I have an 02 Caravan Sport. This van came out of Canada and has the daytime driving lights. The left driving light is on and the right driving light is off. When I turn the headlamps on the right low beam comes on and the left low beam goes off. When I switch the high beams on the right goes off and the left comes on. I have checked the connections on power dist. module,& lamps. I can unplug and reconnect the front control module with the lights on and the lights will operate properly for a little while then the problems return. Any suggestions?
  • jill7jill7 Posts: 1
    Help - I have a '01 town & country minivan with 76,000 miles on it and the transmission went out on us while traveling this weekend. I understand this is a habitual problem with these vans. Do we have any way to fight the price of a $3300 new transmission with the dealer or are we just stuck?

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A "habitual problem?" Hmmm, to the best of my knowledge, the most common mode of habitual failure for these transmissions is when the transmission fluid was replaced with non-Mopar fluid from a non-Mopar service center. Many service centers claim that their fluids are "compatible", however, the frequency with which these transmissions with the tainted fluid fail suggests otherwise.

Then again, I suppose the question should be asked, "How did your transmission fail?" Apparently there are several different things that can go wrong (and are “habitually” missed by service personel) that don't require a transmission rebuild. You might want to seek a second opinion.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gindogindo Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. Recently the front blower started malfunctioning. It does not shut off. And even blows on high when I turn the power off to the system. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be? thank you for any help you could lend.
  • My brakes lost pressure the other day so I replaced the master cylinder and bled both the cylinder, lines and wheels and still no pressure? just to make sure we went and bought yet another cylinder to see if that was the issue and it wasn't, same results.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that they are power brakes, with regular brake systems I've never experienced this?

can anybody help out on this?
  • Help! Driving my 96 caravan the other day and heard a spinning noise--similar to those kids toys you "wind up" on the floor--then alot of clunking noise coming from the rear end. It stopped the same day. The brake light has been coming on and off and they were due to be replaced, so we did--but when my husband, a mechanic, took the wheel off, he couldn't find any damage or anything loose. I'm a little worried about the transmission...I can hear no 3-4 upshift but can achieve the speeds! Someone alse suggested maybe a belt shift in the tire--they also said that I would have a wobbly ride after a belt shift, to which I replied, "You've never driven a Dodge, huh?" It's always been a bit of a bumpy ride!! Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Another question is what kind of maintenance have you completed on this van's transmission? Where was the maintenance done? If it has all been done by the dealer or at least using the correct fluids at the correct intervals, then the dealer might assist with a replacement. If not, the chances are minimal you'll get any help. Good luck!
  • Could be your fuel pump if it's positioned high in the fuel tank. I had a Pontiac minivan that would act up intermittently that way when the gas level got low. The pump was overheating when not fully submerged in gas which kept it cool.
  • That's the anti-lock brakes doing their job Pefectly normal
  • grif6grif6 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager and it stalls going down the road sometimes. When it stalls, sometimes it will start right up and sometimes it wont. When it wont start, you can turn the key off, turn back on, but it doesnt recognize the last two positions. The oil lite,check engine lite, etc. wont come on and the fuel pump wont run. After a couple of times it will turn over and run.Sometimes it wont start first thing in the morning. Sometimes it will go for days and not act up at all. Ive already replaced the ignition switch. Help.
  • Hope I can get some help with this. Have 155,775 on original 303 v-6 & 55,775 on tranny. Keep car in top shape--except for peeling paint but that's another matter!

Since last week, car, after 3-5 miles of driving, hesitates, bucks, shudders on acceleration, with engine sounding like its weezing

Had complete tune-up within last 2000 mi & had CAT, MAP sensor & TSA(?) sensor replaced to combat problem but to no avail.

Any ideas?

BTW, engine is quiet & still gets great mileage