Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Update on the stuck liftgate:

The key works to manually unlatch the door to open it. It is the electronic part which doesn't work. From what I've found out, it's either the lock actuator or the lock control (which the actuator connects to) module causing the problem. Dealers are quoting $300 just to replace the actuator and control module.

Since it's easy to remove/replace, I'm going to pull the rear panel, test for voltage on the components (making sure some wiring didn't go bad) then replace the actuator/control module for $120 ordered off the net.

Unless someone has other ideas on this one.
  • DGC 2001. My heater is on, and within 10 minutes the warm air is beginning to smell like a wet diaper. And it doesn't seem to be going away. It was fine yesterday, but the problem just started out of the blue today. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
  • I have a 1997 Dodge Caravan Sport, and just within the last 4-6 weeks have noticed a gas odor, sometimes it's stronger than others. And it's not just after filling up, it's random...any ideas? Also, my parking brake light is coming on intermittently (usually going around a curve)...and I usually double check to make sure the brake isn't on.
  • When was the last time you changed the air filter under the hood and the inside cabin filter under the dashboard on the passengers side?
  • You might want to check your brake fluid level. If the brake light is coming on while making a turn or stopping, your brake fluid is probably low. If it is low, you might want to check your brake pads to see if they need to be replaced.
  • I have a 94 Dodge caravan 3.3 engine. Engine stalls, only in cold wheather, like below 40 degrees. What could be causing this problem?
  • did you ever get this fixed? i am having te same issue
  • 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, heater/air conditioner fan only runs on high, rear air fan is okay, works on all speeds. Checked relays, found no problem, any ideas? ">
  • could it be the resistor or something else. whereto begin
  • hey wendy was just wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your van...i'm having a problem with mine my ....keeps spinning but won't crank over
  • i had the same problen with my 1992 caravan the lockup in the trans was bad and i unpluged it and it cured it
  • gino45gino45 Posts: 52
    I had the same problem on my 2001. It turned out to be the resistor. The part cost me $20 and took me 10 min to repair. It's located behind the glove compartment.
  • gino45gino45 Posts: 52
    This is a follow up to a problem I had with my rear wiper. My wiper as well as the washer wiper pump weren't working. My dealer told me that the body control module (BCM) had to be re-programed. They tried to download a upgrade into it but apparently the module wouldn't accept the download. They concluded that the BCM was faulty and had to be replaced at a cost of $300 for a refurbished BCM. I declined the repair - for a cost of $300 I can live the rear wiper not working. Well guess what, the following day my wife tells me that the wiper and washer pump are working just fine. I guess the BCM accepted the download or it must have been a loose wire somewhere that caused the problem in the first place. If anyone has a similar problem, don't rush out and replace the BCM. Try to get it re-programed. Even if that doesn't work right away, give it a few days. You may have to run your van for a while for the computer to accept the program.
  • biff6biff6 Posts: 3
    Wow! I've heard replacing rack & pinion is very expensive! The new dealer I brought the car to found nothing wrong (again, it was a warm day, not much creaking going on). I plan on bringing it in tomorrow (again) since it is cold and when we turn a corner or hit a bump in the road or drive through a small dip, it feels like we are dragging a dead body under the car.

It's a '00 Caravan (Sport model) with 53,000 miles. My wife absolutely loves the car, and I don't feel like going through the process of getting another car. It would really be a shame if something was seriously wrong.
  • Can anyone give me some advice re my cruise control? I can turn it on and off, but I cannot "set" the cruise...any suggestions?
  • I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the van is started I hear a running water noise coming from the dash. The running water noise continues upon acceleration of the van for about 5 minutes and then disappears. I have checked the coolant level as directed by my service department and coolant level is fine. Any ideas?
  • just wondering how your car is running did you ever find out what was wrong?i was having the same problem with the gas smell and a few times after parking and shutting off van and lights i find my brake lights on.....the last 4 times i started the van it spinned a couple of times before cranking yesterday i stalled while stopped at a light and now it will only spin and not crack over.my mechanic has it now hopefully will find out tomorrow what the problem is....let you then.good luck with yours
  • It may not be a problem. When you start up the coolant pump starts pumping fluid. It does travel through the hoses leading to the heater core inside the dash. Try turning the heat dial to cold before starting it. You should hear far less.

Alternately you might have water sitting in the cowling below you windshield wiper arms due to leaves etc blocking the drainage holes.

Try the cold start first.
  • check your coolant level in the reservoir to be sure you haven't got a leak through the heater core. Do this over the next few weeks if the smell doesn't improve.

These vehicles are prone to smelly air exchange. I never turn off the blower fully. If you let it stagnate it will get musty and smell. Worse in the summer.
  • I agree with just4fun2. Check your brake fluid level. Your owners manual should tell you where to look. Fill it up with appropriate fluid, then if the light comes on again after a while and you check and the fluid is low, you either have to go looking for a leak or take it in to be fixed.

For the gas smell. Either get under the vehicle and sniff around the gas tank or take it in to your favourite shop and have them look for a leak. fuel smells are pretty distinct and can only come from a leak. they need to be fixed asap.