Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dougd7dougd7 Posts: 71
    TP - use the ATF+4 fluid that is available at your local Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer. Runs about $4/qt (recent price break - was $7/qt). Can also be purchased by the gallon for about $16/gallon. The gallon price may be lower - that was the price by the gallon when the quarts were priced at $7.

Do not use any other fluid from anywhere else!!!

You should also replace the filter. Since you have to drop the pan to get to the filter, I wouldn't "pump" the oil out. Granted you're only changing about 1/3 of the fluid by dropping the pan, but it's better than doing nothing.

Doug
  • Doug,
    Few days ago, I removed all but 4 crews (2 at each end of the longer side) which I just loosened by turning them 4 or 5 complete turns. But the oil did not come out. I used a screw driver to pry the pan out. Also to no avail. Is there a good way to get the pan out?

Thanks,

TP
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    If it goes back up, (even if you have to re-start first) I doubt it is the regulator. As you have already learned the dealer is not the place to be. There were recent posts about fixing baulky regulators recently.
  • cpadgettcpadgett Posts: 1
    I need info on how to get into the heater/ac fan on a 91 dodge caravan. It's not blowing at all and I can't figure out how to access the fan to check it out. Any ide4as will help!
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Bring it in now and get documentation of problem. They will say it's "normal", but get it fixed if it's still under warranty.
  • hutch8hutch8 Posts: 1
    would sombody please help me all i would like to know is what kind of model my transmission is i have looked every that i can think cant find a thing i have a 96 plymouth grand voyager 3.3L engine my tranny is leaking from every which direction inside and out wont hold fluid im assuming a internal gasket problem so also if someone can tell me where i can maybe find a good priced rebuild kit for it, it would be GREATLY appreciated thx
  • Sorry, no help yet. Got the exact same problem with a 91 Plymouth Voyageur so when I figure it out I'l get back to you. I think it's just hanging under the passenger side compartment but I just started looking at it today.
    I'm no mechanic so maybe someone else will see this post and give you a better response.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Check the rubber hoses that go from the transmission to the radiator. They are located on the drivers side top of the radiator. these can loosen and leak. If you can't detirmine the source of the leak, go to a self service car wash and open the hood and blast the engine and trans clean with the engine cleaner option to detirmine the source of the leak. The new trans hoses for the 96 are under $30.00.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    my 96 3.8 litre gr caravan is approaching 100k mi. and according to the manual should have the plugs/wires replaced. it still runs good and i wonder if at least some of the plugs may be "welded" to the block given the age and miles...anyone experience problems removing plugs and has anyone driven much over 100k mi w/o replacing the plugs? thanks...
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    re your infinity fm reception, my 96 had the same problem, it was intermittent for a while on fm, ok on am and cd, and eventually fm failed completely and all i heard was a loud hiss...local stereo shops said it was an internal receiver problem, forgot the name for the part gone bad, replacing with an original unit was too expensive so i opted for a nice sounding pioneer cd unit from crutchfield for a little over $100...it actually pulls in distant stations, both am and fm better, and crutchfield provides all the accessories you need for no additional charge...
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Thanks for the information.

I dug into it this weekend and pulled the radio, and it appeared I had and intermittent connection between the antenna plug and the radio jack. After messing around with it a bit, bending the contacts in the jack and on the plug and sanding the surfaces of the antenna plug, I think I have it fixed it, but only time will tell.

I will definitely go aftermarket if the problem continues, but first I have to convince myself whether the problem is in the receiver or in the end of the antenna lead wire plug. I did check with the local Dodge dealer, and the price for a rebuilt OEM unit with a trade in of the old was $200, and this was for a non CD unit! I doubt if their radio business is booming!
  • cotsouthcotsouth Posts: 1
    Purchased 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT in May of last year and so far I have had 2 transmissions put in. Has anybody had simular problems and any advise on how to approch a lemon law. ( Dealer says fight is with Chrysler and Chrysler says fight is with dealer )
    Sorry about your transmission problems, but as long as they replaced it under warranty, even though twice, I don't think you have any lemon law rights in any state. Maybe if it happens again under warranty you may have a case, but lemon laws usually apply to a vehicle that after three efforts, the problem is not repaired.

I would check with your state government agency for any legal information, don't rely on what your dealer or Chrysler tells you. They do not write or enforce lemon laws, the state does.
  • dougd7dougd7 Posts: 71
    "Doug,
    Few days ago, I removed all but 4 crews (2 at each end of the longer side) which I just loosened by turning them 4 or 5 complete turns. But the oil did not come out. I used a screw driver to pry the pan out. Also to no avail. Is there a good way to get the pan out?"

Is there any type of gasket sealer holding the pan to the transmission? When I dropped the pan on my 90 Acclaim, once I began to loosen the bolts, fluid began to drip. I only had to put slightly pressure on the pan for it to completely pull away from the transmission. Are you saying you've pried on the pan with a screwdriver and it still won't come off? Have to be careful that you don't damage the area where the pan seals to the transmission - may cause leaks later. Did you perhaps miss a screw/bolt?

Doug
  • billiebillie Posts: 1
    HELP! Just had my 97 grand voyager in the shop. Had the tension pullies replaced and 2 belts. Now a day later, horrible gas fumes and my gas gauge was decreasing rapidly. When the van was parked no gas was found on the ground. One, where did the gas go? Two, what in the heck would be the problem? Three, now the van will not start at all! Thanks for any help or advise you can give.
    Well, with the 3.3 and I believe also with the 3.8 V-6 engine there is only one serpentine belt and there is one tensioner pulley. There may be another idler pulley that does not act as a tensioner, however.

Replacing these should have no effect on the fuel system, however, unless somebody screwed a fuel line up while replacing your serpentine belt and pulleys.

Did someone inadvertantly disconnect or damage a fuel line?
  • cshcsh Posts: 1
    Did you ever getthis problem fixed? Thanks.
  • royallenroyallen Posts: 224
    Fishing1000, sorry for the delay response. My recall is opening counter-clockwise about a full turn, no pull/push.
    Using the lower hose instead, once the lower hose clamp is removed then get the hose to rotate slightly with a channel lock pliers, then "lever" off with prying tools. You need a wide pan since the fluid will squirt a good deal. Roy
  • mikesmommikesmom Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Caravan with approx. 22,000 miles on it. When I got in my car today, the malfunction indicator light came on on the dashboard. I called the dealer and was told to check the gascap to see if it was on tight. I did that and was told to keep an eye on it for a few days and if it did not go out to contact them again. Is this something I should worry about?
  • just to let you know check your lemon laws in your state then if the dealer is not working for you get a lawyer keep all receipts and work orders that has been done to the van.. hope that the problem can get resolve at the lowest level good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    The check engine light is also known as the $$ light - a problem can cost you a lot of money. However, there are several non-costly reasons why this light could come on, and loss of pressure in the fuel system is one. It was nice of the shop to tell you over the phone to check your gas cap rather than having you come in and charging you for that bit of info.

If you aren't having any other problems with the vehicle (e.g., weird noises or high engine temperature), then at least wait til you've refilled your gas tank to worry. It still might not be anything serious.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• My husband is replacing the motor mounts on our 2000 Gr Caravan Sport. Does ANYONE know of an easier way to get them out, other than beating them out with a hammer? Also, any ideas on how to get them back in?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Last year our "check engine" light came on. No problems before or during the time it was on. I checked the gas cap to make sure it was tight. Waited about three days and took the van in for an oil change and the check engine light. It cost us something like $90.00 for them to tell me the gas cap needed to be replace because the seal was worn out. The gas cap only cost like $12.00. I could have went to Murray's or Autozone and had the code checked for free.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    I've been there myself - $80 later, and it was a gas cap problem. Lesson learned!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just an update to my original message (#2538).

I replaced the battery, cleaned the terminals, and checked the hazard flasher fuse (it was fine). I reassembled the light switch, instrument panel, and other dash parts. The problem persists, though.

I will next see if I can find the Instrument Control Ground location and clean it.

I see from another recent post that yet another person has this problem!

I'll post as I get any more information.

shadetree_bill
  • cpolitocpolito Posts: 1
    My 2001 caravan check eng. light is on. My Auto Zoneread the code which is P0601. The discription is -- Internal Control module fault. Does anybody know where to find trouble shooting info to chase down the underlying cause of this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
  • ray1945ray1945 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the comeback, hope you find the problem that alot of us are having. Ray
  • jose4jose4 Posts: 1
    problems getting the car started after it`s been running for awhile i`ve replaced the starter thinking that was the problem but still when i drive it for at least 20 mins. i turn the car off and it dosen`t want to start again the temperture gauge is normal i don`t know what to do. If anyone can help me i would appreciated very much. HAPPY EASTER.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    In the past six months or so I know of seven vehicles that had a fuel causing a "check engine" illumination, including two Toyatas and a Honda. This is a generic and common problem. After time the fuel cap internal venting valves become corroded and present a pressure loss or air leak that the vapor collection system detects.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • asieversasievers Posts: 2
    Hi I was wondering if you could tell me where the hazard fuse location is on your vehicle. Thank you! My mom has a 92 Plymouth voyager and her husband simply cannot find where the location is..if anyone knows it would be much appreciated! Thanks again.