Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I faintly recall that our '96 Caravan had a recall associated with the cooling fan relays. It may have applied to '97's as well. It was several years ago, so I don't remember the details, but I would guess you could check with a Dodge dealer and with the VIN they could see if all recalls have been performed on your van.
  • monty2222monty2222 Posts: 48
    Ok, the first trouble with my 96 GC, the motor on one of the radiator fans is very noisey when it runs. Dealers says it's a bad motor, must replace whole assembly (two fans/housing/etc.). Part is $320, labor is $180, so $500 bill. I found I can buy just the motor (new) from a parts place for $110, or a whole used assembly for $125. Anyone ever had this done. Maybe I should buy the part and have a garage mechanic put it in, or do it myself if easy access?
  • "Well today is the end of the road for my 53,000 mile 1996 Voyager. Despite over $8,000 in out-of-pocket repairs (not including 3 head gaskets ..."

I dumped my 96 Gr Voy SE with 96K kms on it
    this past April as the extended warranty was expiring this summer.
    ..it had to have been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned...fortunately I took out an extended warranty...and I made in excess of $6K Canadian in claims on that warranty...that was in addition to over 50 times in for service while under original manufacturer's 36 month warranty.
    Repairs included:
    new tranny, AC compressor twice, front wiper motor, rear wiper motor, fuel pump, water pump, ABS brake module, serpentine belt tensioner twice, emergency brake mechanism, heater blower motor, AC evaporator, AC condensor, front brake rotors rotted out in first 18 months, fuel guage sender, rear hatch power lock actuator, water pump..just to name some of the repairs.

I now drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna LE minivan and
    I will never in this lifetime again ever purchase anything that has a Chrysler logo on it!
  • Hi Hater,
    I just wanted to give you a heads up on the Sienna. If thats a 3.0L V6 they have had much trouble in the past with the oil turning to sludge. I'm not sure if the problem still applies. For a while Toyota was doing the avoidance dance..blaming it all on the customer, of course.
    Last I heard They were working on a fix. Hope it doesn't affect you. There was alot of talk about it a year ago. It helps to do the oil changes often..3 to 4 thousand intervals. Good luck with the new van.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    My 1970 Dodge van was my worst vehicle and I have never owned another Chrysler vehicle. Two of my 3 sons now own DC minivans and love them. The other one has an Odyssey. Personally I would go with the Sienna if I were to get a minivan. Good luck with your Sienna.
        Based on reading in the Town Hall, it appears that DC has made great improvements in minivan reliability in the past few years (AFTER 1996). Will report any problems either son's DC minivan may develop.
  • That is one of the many, many, many things I had go wrong with my 1996 Voyager. I noticed that when I turned off the car, the fuel tank needle would move back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. There were other strange things that happened to my gauges as well. I thought I had a poltergiest.

When the dealer fixed it and I picked it up, it appeared that they had put some 25,000 miles on it while it was in the shop for five days. As it turned out, they had forgotton to flip a switch on the computer that changes the readout from kilometers to miles. After another four days, the dealer managed to get it fixed.

I really don't know which has been worse--the dealer or the car.
  • Thanks. I was aware of the oil sludge issue and have been getting 3K oil changes at the dealer. Thanks to Cblake's rantings, I think we're all okay on this matter. I'm also going to buy an extended warrenty just in case.

That said, my Sienna has not had one problem and has not been in the shop (escept for standard servie) for 1 moment in the 2 years I've owned it.

In contrast, when I'd had my 1996 Voyager for tthree years it had been in the shop for two head gaskets (1 week one time, 10 days the next), a failed computer (4 days), two "induction services (1 and 2 days), a new starter (1 day), a new valve cover (3 days), a new alternator (1 day), a new sterio system (1 day), a complete brake overhaul (2 days) and four seperate recalls (1 day each).

That is more than a month of time that the car was out of serve and 26 trips to the dealer (not counting service).

Now that the van is 7 years old and has hit 53,000 miles, the tranny drops out. If I am a "Dodge-hater", then I have a right to be based on my personal experience.
  • It is fixable!

I can get the kaput tranny (53K) miles rebuilt for about $1500. That means I'll be stuck driving this time bomb untill the next major repair. Based on recent history, that could be from two-weeks to three months!

Will I never be free from this accursed monstrosity?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    If you have a Sienna, why are you forcing yourself to keep and drive the Voyager? Fix it then sell it, and I would get a second or third opinion before sinking $1500 into it, it may be a simple problem. Do you trust 100% whoever gave you the $1500 quote? Hav you checked out getting a rebuilt one swapped into it? Might cost you less than $1500.

Not too many people need to keep two minivans in the same family, right?

In contrast we have a '96 Caravan with the 3.3 V-6, and have had no problems except AC went out and was repaired last year. Now at about 66K miles. Yes we took it back for about 3-4 minor recalls over the years, but no other problems. Have yet to even touch the transmission, not even changed the fluid or filter.

Still even have the original brakes, but I am sure they will need replacement soon.
  • My wife drives the Sienna.

True, we don't need two minivans, but we had to have one. That's why we bought the Sienna in 2001. We had to have one reliable minivan and we could not rely on the Voyager. Still, we needed a second car and, when irt runs, the voyager has always been (and still is) a nice drive.

The ironic thing is that when I bought the car in 1996 I specifically picked the 4-cyc because the V-6's had such trouble (according to Consumer Reports). Beginning in 1996, that changed with the V-6's doing well and the 4-cyc's having tons of trouble. (I know that many people are happy with their DC vans, but I got a lemon and lemons leave a sour taste in your mouth.)

I really don't mind having a second van (a.k.a) truck) when it runs. I'm just frustrated that it has costs so much to keep it on the road.

I am taking it to a second shop for another opinion. By phone, the mechanic said the $1500 was "worst-case" and included putting an auxilliary cooler on the tranny if the tranny cooler coil in the radiator is clogged (whatever that means). He said it may not be, but he has seen this problem frequently with failed Caravan/Voyagers). He also said the tranny may not need full replacement. We'll just have to see.

(The first mechanic wanted $2000 plus to replace the tranny with a rebuilt unit.)
    How many of the problem Chrysler vehicles were purchased new by the current owners?
        My 1970 Dodge van was purchased new and was the worst vehicle I have owned. However, I kept it 6 years and the 76 VW Bus that replaced it for only 4 years. My 1999 Tracker was purchased new and had repeat problem with bearings in rear axle so I traded it off and got the 2001 Blazer. Still driving the 93 Ford F-150.
        I think a 96 or 97 Chrysler vehicle with major problems is NOT worth spending any more money on major repairs. Get rid of it. A 96 or 97 Chrysler product has virtually no resale value.
    Since you got a 4 cyl based on Consumer Reports bad advice, maybe you should sue Consumer Reports for unreliable product (Consumer Reports recommendation to get a 4 cyl instead of V6).
        Suzuki has sued Consumer Reports for damages done claiming Consumer Reports rigged a test to make the Suzuki Samarai appear unsafe and then warning people not to buy it.
  • You've got a good point. The problem is that the van has only 53K on it and I hate to give up on such a low mileage vehicle (although about 1/4 of those miles are trips to and from the dealer.)

The big question is should I still consider the car a 1996 van? Sure, the body is 1996, but all the mechanicx vary in age from 1997 to 2003. On average, its probably a 2000 car :)

Seriously though, if I get rid of this car, I need to get a reliable second car. By reliable, I probably mean new (and under warrenty) and cheap--some sort of small cheap sedan.

What kind of small sedan should I get?
  • ...when did I become a resident of the state of Israel?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    Check your address in your profile - it says you live there and the flags pop up according to that address field.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Don't know how that happened, but I think I fixed it. I guess everything is Kosher now.
    Maybe it'll take a while to refresh/reindex, but nothing looks changed in your profile. Yet ...

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Best bet would be a basic Toyota ECHO without the very expensive Toyota options. The basic Honda Civic costs considerably more.
        Some people brag about Hyundai and Kia entry level sedans with a very low price and best new vehicle warranty in the business. However, Hyundai and Kia are notorious gas guzzlers in EPA fuel economy ratings.
        Based on your experience, you should not get another Chrysler product. I have a friend who got a new VW Rabbit that had so many problems he got rid of it after 9 months and just over 10,000 miles and says he will never own another Volkswagen.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    We really should take this someplace more appropriate, like maybe the Low-End Cars board, but the comment re "Hyundai and Kia are notorious gas guzzlers in EPA fuel economy ratings." is so erroneous I had to comment. Hyundai and Kia are on par with almost all other cars in their class, particularly for the category that is under discussion--cheap sedans. There are a few exceptions, e.g. the ECHO gets better mpg than the Accent and Rio, and the Civic and Corolla get better mpg than the Elantra. But otherwise the Hyundai and Kia models are comparable in mpg to others in their class. hansienna, if you would like to provide some facts to back up your contention of "notorious gas guzzlers" please do so, for example, what other small cars far exceed the Accent, Rio, and Elantra in mpg besides the ECHO, Civic, and Corolla?
    I haven't skimmed this board, but there's got to be some gems in it:

Hyundai: Consumer Reports loves them!

Steve, Host