Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European Delivery Experiences, Advice and Info

Comments

• khoonkhoon Posts: 84
    Eurobuyers.com used to provide invoice pricing for the 3 series. Can someone recommend an alternate site that provides 3 series invoice pricing for US and/or Euro delivery?

Thanks in advance
  • Is it possible to purchase a rack & cargo box and have it shipped back in the car? There seems to be a bit of a customs issue. One possibility that I haven't got an answer to is that if the invoice for the car states that it has a rack & box, then customs shouldn't have a problem.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    You'd have to check with whoever you are buying it from. IIRC, with Volvo if it's a factory installed unit it can be sent back with the vehicle.
  • inealeineale Posts: 1
    At what point are US sales taxes paid on the vehicle?

Thanks

Ian
    At what point are US sales taxes paid on the vehicle?

It depends on your state but most likely when you actually register the vehicle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    The host will probably delete that post, so I'll jump ahead for those interested and post a link directly to the PDF that Jon and bimmerfest was so kind to post.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• v_dv_d Posts: 89
    Can you import in Canada/US a Peugeot from France for example? Do you guys have any idea how the insurance companies will deal with it or any other expenses?

Thx.
    Under typical circumstances you cannot import just any vehicle from Europe.

There are specific rules on this - I'm not sure the exact but it's something like the vehicle must be 15+ years old.

Diplomats can import vehicles but they must go back when they go back.
    I HATE DIPLOMATS!!! :D
    stupid laws, why would you import a car that's 15yrs old in the first place, so you'd get an unrepairable piece of junk? So smart...
  • Plenty of cars that are 15 years old can be reliable and in actuality the age restriction is 25 years.

Grey Market age rules.

Plenty of unique vehicles that were not able to be imported into the US originaly are now imported when they are 25 years old or older.

Many original Mini Coopers and Austins are imported this way. Land Rover Defenders will be imported this way as well in the next few years.
    stupid laws, why would you import a car that's 15yrs old in the first place, so you'd get an unrepairable piece of junk? So smart...

Ding ding ding - we have a winnah!!

That's exactly the point - who'd want to import a 25 year old car?

The reason for not being able to import anything newer is that they probably don't meet US safety or emissions standards.
  • Again tons of people import those older vehicles. If you want a classic car that was never imported into the US then you can do that.

Also for vehicles that looked the same for their entire production run, original Minis and Defenders are like this, some people will re-VIN newer vehicles with an older vehicles VIN.

By doing that they can import say a 1999 or 2000 MY Mini with airbags and fuel injection.
    The reason for not being able to import anything newer is that they probably don't meet US safety or emissions standards

And after 25 years they will?
  • No but after 25 years they Gov't does not care anymore.
    talkin about being smart. You can't bring it when it's ok for the environment, but after 25 years they pollute like a chimney but hey... IT's OKAY! We all got hybrids now, you can have a black exhaust no problem. :sick:

Who's the "wise" guy that makes these stupid laws? Aren't they suppose to have someone that really thinks for them? WHERE'S THAT GUY? :mad:
    You seem to be taking it personally.

The number of 25 YO vehicles being imported is so small that their effect on the environment in inconsequential. Those vehicles aren't going to be daily drivers for the most part.

Actually, you can import any vehicle you want from abroad. You just have to take the time to federalize it and crash test it. Got an extra $5-7 million hanging around to ensure that $15K Citroen meets US standards?
    nvm... it's still stupid..
  • kelfkelf Posts: 83
    Any dealers who are friendly to ED and provide discount from US MSRP?
  • 151ranch151ranch Posts: 109
    There is no discount for Porsche - they are the only manufacturer that CHARGES for ED. But if you time it right they will let you go to one on their semi-annual test track jaunts.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Just curious if this has changed.

Back in 1988 while I was still in the military I got stationed in Germany for 3 years. I decided to ship my car with me seeing I was going to be there for 3 years. Before I could pick it up in Germany I had to have the catlytic converter removed, so when it comes off the boat you sit in line and have a AAFES shop remove the converter. fast forward 3 years, whe nI brought it home I had to have the Converter put back on to pass inspection in the states.

Do they build cars for sale in the US with the converter and cars for sale in Europe without? Or do the Europeans now use a catlytic converter on there cars?

BTW if there is anyone who is ever going to go over seas with the Military don't go through the hassle of taking a car. You can pick one up for a song from someone getting ready to come home that needs to dump there ride. At least when I was in Italy for 18 months and Germany for 3 years many moons ago you could pick up a 3 series BMW dirt cheap.
This discussion has been closed.