Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• For what it's worth:

I bought a Passat sedan 1.8 GLS automatic with a Monsoon sound system and homelink (cloth seats) for $500 over invoice on Jan 30. Invoice price included destination charge and the port fees and a $200 documentation fee. Total price was $22732

($22,032 invoice + $500 profit + $200 documentation fee).

A very low pressure dealership so doing the deal was very pleasant. I did have a trade-in, which complicated the deal, yet the purchase price was not an issue, just the trade-in value.

I would not recommend the Monsoon sound system for the money, yet I didn't have the option.
  • I ordered last week a 2002 1.8T GLS with lthr, lux pkg, Monsoon & Homelink. $300 over invoice.
    Total $24,003 on a list of $25,805. Doc fee of $279, tax, tags not included. The dealership here in NC had to order from factory. I'm told that VW has a new inventory program that allows the cars ordered to be tracked. Approx. wait is 2-3 mos.
    How long in your experience does it take after order? Thoughts on new tracking system?
    Thanks.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    The system you are referring to is called V.I.M., or Volkswagen Inventory Management. We have an Audi franchise and have been using the same system with Audi for about 6 months. It is a lot easier to track cars on this system. The average order to delivery time is roughly 7 weeks. However, Passats are scarce right now, so it could take longer. You're lucky to have bought the car at 300 over. With current inventory levels in my area, we're passing on anything below a 750.00 front end deal.
  • Just bought a 2002 Passat GLX, Reflex Silver, Gray Leather. Invoice was 27,737. I paid 28,200 plus tax, tags, & 179 doc fee.

I do not know if this is a great deal but I do think it is pretty good deal for the car. I love it.

Can anyone "in the know" give me their thoughts on this deal?

Also, I financed it through VW credit 5.5% for 60 months.
  • Fradog69, I have all the details of Volkswagen's February special financing program for the 2002 Passat if you are interested. Please feel free to head on over to the Finance, Warranty, & Insurance Message Board (as you can tell by the name, that is a more appropriate board for this question :)) and ask me again. I will give you all of the details. See you there.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • Anyone getting good deals on the Passat in LA? If so, please let me know which dealer and the price.
  • Hi healthcorp. The following is in response to the e-mail that you recently sent me:

"I don't know why it says that there is not any special financing available on the 2002 Volkswagen Passat this month on Edmunds, because there is. If you finance a 2002 Passat through Volkswagen Credit during the month of February, you can use special interest rates of 2.9% for 24 month, 4.5% for 36 month, 4.9% for 48 month, or 5.5% for 60 month terms. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near California and am not all that familiar with the dealerships in your area nor do I recall seeing any posts extolling the virtues of any dealerships there. I think that your best bet would be to pay a visit to the Sedans Message Board. There you will be able to interact with many other community members who either own or are shopping for the same car that you are interested in. Perhaps one of them will be able to steer you towards a good dealership in your area."

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • Was just at my local VW dealer pricing a 2002 GLS Wagon,1.8T manual, luxury package, and after some negotiating, his best price was 23,200. Msrp for this car is 24,535 and Edmunds invoice is 22,330. The TMV is 22,764. there's no trade-in. The car will have to be ordered. At $870 over invoice, I'm wondering how good this deal is.Based on mirth's analysis(and thanks for that), it's pretty good especially for a manual, but recently I've seen a lot of deals for less. Incidentally, mirth, the dealer did say that the factory has greatly under-produced manuals which may account for their larger write-up and his inability to go lower. Does anyone--especially dealers--have any thoughts? Would it be worth it to check other, more distant dealers? Thanks.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    You probably want to check other dealers first. What your dealer's offering is about average, but you might be able to do better. Also, check carsdirect.com to get an average price for your area. Again, you can do better than that price, too, but it'll give you an idea if your dealer's price is in the ballpark.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    What is the cutoff ficos for teir 1 and 2 VW credit. I have a 665 score and was wondering where I would come in on their teirs.
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    I would plan on *B* Tier, but there may be a
    possibilty of *A*...It will depend upon the
    approver and how the whole report looks...

There is nothing specific in these Rate Sheets
    that specify a 720, etc. And some have in the past...
    thanks for the help. I'll probably hold off till I can bring it up some more.
    Actually the difference is not that great...
    *A* = 5.5% for 60. and *B* is 6.0%
    48/4.9% vs 48/5.4%...
    vwguild any idea what "b" teir mf's for a lease would be?
    No such thing...Either you are *leasable*, which
    you are, or not...No better factors or residuals...
  • I contacted an Internet dealer about a GLS V6 Passat in a particular color. She happens to have a demo in that color, with a couple of different options than I wanted (i.e., different interior color, etc). I do not know how many miles the demo has (assuming a few hundred). Anyone know how much less than TMV I should offer for this car?
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    Invoice doesn't change on a demo; if you're willing to take the car, offer a couple hundred over. We might take that deal this close to the end of the month.
  • acraftonacrafton Posts: 99
    VWGUILD,
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Passat forum - I took it and found a dealer advertising on their site the following:

2002 Passat GLS
    Auto, Monsoon, Homelink

MSRP - $23830
    Their price - $21799
    Or using ballon financing (used instead of a lease in Texas - you own and the last payment is the residual - turn it in or pay it off
    0 down and $299 month for 48 months

This looks really good to me - thoughts?

Adam
    I think that is the *Driver's Option* Program;
    that is not available here in California...

Truth told...It only matters if it works for you...If you have any other questions; we can talk in the AM: 888.556.3849, if you like...
    Just remember that I am on Pacific Standard Time!
  • I went to a dealer today to deal on a 1.8T manual with Leather, Luxury, Homelink, and Monsoon. The car was on the lot.

As we get into talking price with the sales guy we show him the printout from Edmunds.com showing the invoice price, MSRP, and TMV. The invoice on the printout is $23,436. He takes this to the sales manager and comes back with the invoice crossed out instead showing "his invoice price" of 23,7xx. He then proceeds to offer me the car for his invoice price plus $800.

Is this BS or what? Has anyone else encountered this tactic before?

Naturally, I politely walk away.