Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Hey Q,
    After you posted the auction # on MKZ's, the dealer dropped their listing price $1500. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Hey Q, After you posted the auction # on MKZ's, the dealer dropped their listing price $1500. :)
    We’re being watched

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Michaell said:
    Asking for my nephew.. 2014 VW Jetta SE. Grey over black. 84,000 miles. Automatic. Two relatively new tires. Let's call it average condition. This has the 1.8T engine.
    About $4k

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    qbrozen said:
    Michaell said:
    Asking for my nephew.. 2014 VW Jetta SE. Grey over black. 84,000 miles. Automatic. Two relatively new tires. Let's call it average condition. This has the 1.8T engine.
    About $4k
    Ok thanks. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    PnkbunnyPnkbunny Member Posts: 4
    Would love your opinion on the value of my car. 2016.5 Mazda CX-5, grand touring, FWD, 35.5K, crystal white Pearl/parchment, tech package.  Thank you!!!
  • Options
    thecode1thecode1 Member Posts: 43
    Looking for trade in value of 2016 Silverado LT Crew Cab Short Box. 19400mi V8, 4x2, leather, towing package, 20” wheels, Navigation, heated seats, remote start, excellent condition. Thank you!
  • Options
    Please provide locations and conditions (any accident history?) on those last 2 requests.

• Options
    PnkbunnyPnkbunny Member Posts: 4
    For the Mazda, excellent condition, no accidents and location is 93003 (southern ca)
  • Options
    thecode1thecode1 Member Posts: 43
    For the silverado, no accidents and 92024
  • Options
    Pnkbunny said:
    For the Mazda, excellent condition, no accidents and location is 93003 (southern ca)
    About $17k

• Options
    thecode1 said:
    For the silverado, no accidents and 92024
    Maybe $25k

• Options
    OrlandoOrlando Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2019
    Would love to get value for:

2016 VW Passat SE w/ LED Lighting Package
    - Grey ext / Grey int (leatherette)
    - 34,000 miles
    - 2 door dents (quote for $400 to repair, otherwise mint condition)
    - 32828 zip code

Other standard features: 17" wheels, sunroof, heated seats, 6½" touch screen
    2021 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (Machine Grey/Parchment)
    36/12 lease for $323/month for 35 months from Sport Mazda South in Orlando. No money down.
  • Options
    Orlando and the Mickey kind of gave away your location. :)
    FWD?
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Orlando and the Mickey kind of gave away your location. :)
    FWD?

I don't think they make a Passat that isn't FWD. I could always be wrong though.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    all FWD, but there was a V6 option. Just not sure if on the SE.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    $11k.

only SEL could be had with V6

• Options
    cotto1122cotto1122 Member Posts: 10
    Would love to get value on 17’ Charger Daytona 340, 10,500 miles, White, nav,sunroof, heated seats/wheel, cooled seats. No scratches that a good wash/wax wouldn’t fix.  No other issues

thanks
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    cotto1122 said:

Would love to get value on 17’ Charger Daytona 340, 10,500 miles, White, nav,sunroof, heated seats/wheel, cooled seats. No scratches that a good wash/wax wouldn’t fix.  No other issues

thanks

That's PA, for our ZIP code challenged folks who help out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    cotto1122 said:

thanks
    About $28.5-$29k

• Options
    ZoeDZoeD Member Posts: 47
    Hello, Looking for trade in value (Northern NJ - 07003) for 2014 Mazda 6 i touring. Miles: 55,450K, Silver, New tires, No accidents. Excellent interior condition. No rust, purchased and driven in CA. Some scuff marks I am covering in rear back behind driver and passenger side. Interior is meticulous.
    Not sure if I will try to sell outright or via Carfax. Need to do some more research on that. Have you noticed them giving good deals?
    Thank you so much for all of your help
  • Options
    $8500-$9k trade.

do you mean carmax? Always worth a shot. Check vroom and carvana, too.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

$8500-$9k trade.

do you mean carmax? Always worth a shot. Check vroom and carvana, too.

For Carmax, I'd say 45 minutes time to get a quote in addition to drive/travel time to and from Carmax.

How much time needs to be alloted for Carvana and Vroom?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    5 minutes from the comfort of your easy chair.

• Options
    leasegrabberleasegrabber Member Posts: 23
    Hi, would like to know the trade in value (Central NJ - 08902) for 2011 Lexus RX 350, AWD with 73,500 miles Black exterior color, Parchment Interior color. Leather Heat and ventilated front row seats, may need new tires, No accidents. No rust. Also please advise, what would be better - trade-in or selling to Private Party.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    I would sell that one privately all day long. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    leasegrabberleasegrabber Member Posts: 23
    Thx, if you do, what would be your recommended price for pvt and for trade-in.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would replace the tires, do a super thorough detail, or pay to have that done, and hang a $13,900 price tag on it.
  • Options
    About $12.5k trade.

You are right near that level where I feel selling privately is not worth it (in NJ). Trade for that number and you'll get $828 tax credit towards the new one. So now you have to beat $13,328 on a private sale. As shifty said, new tires and a detail needed... so that's gonna run you $650 or so on the low end. Now you need $14k for it. Any advertising costs? Add that to the bill. Your time and energy and entertaining tire kickers, not to mention the gas involved there and delivering it with a full tank. Personally, now I'm not letting it go for less than $14.5k. That is a tough sale private party.

• Options
    What makes PP tough on a car over $10K is that you aren't a dealer, and you can't offer financing.

The low miles is a plus, though. People do shop for low miles.
  • Options
    What Q said.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

What makes PP tough on a car over $10K is that you aren't a dealer, and you can't offer financing.

The low miles is a plus, though. People do shop for low miles.

Well... a risk tolerant person COULD offer financing...... I wouldn't, but dumber things have been done.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Oh, you mean like co-signing for one's unemployed son-in-law just out of prison?
  • Options
    macaroni345macaroni345 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2019
    Interested in finding real world trade value of a 2015 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport with literally everything they offered that year except the Mark Levinson audio system. This vehicle was always garaged, no damaged, and just rolled over 37k on the odometer. It's a 6-speed auto & in the Nebula Grey Pearl external color & Black Leather interior if that makes a difference. Has blind-sport monitors, adaptive parking assist, rear camera, built in navigation system, SOS & Emergency system built in standard I believe, 18" Lexus wheels, 80% tread on tires, all matching of course, interior kick panel branded lights, branded Lexus puddle lighting in front, all-weather floor mats, (also has the carpet ones still in the plastic when it was purchased brand new), rear cargo net & emergency medical pack in the trunk, spare w/jack, as well as the heated & AC vented seats! Literally every single upgrade including the F-Sport package except the ML audio system from the 2015 IS-250 FSPORT spec. It's RWD in case that wasn't implied.

So, anyone have the ability to chime in on what a fair 3rd party sales price could be?

Maybe what offers I should expect to get from a dealer for trade or sale?

Also, any suggestions as to anything that could raise the value or when particularly would be a good time to sell considering all of the comparable 2016 IS200t & 300t 3yr/36k leases are coming back to the local dealers right now which have right around the same mileage as this vehicle which is 1-year older, since I left it in the garage for a 13-months & didn't end up driving it at all of the 4-years i've owned it.. Reason being is that I was offered $10k more at one dealership @ $29k (trade in-value) & another @ $19k as trade in against a 2019 IS 350 F-SPORT RWD w/ML (since there's literally ZERO AWD models in AZ as of lately) & all the goodies + lane departure & triple beam headlights! Sometimes these situations make you wonder who's getting screwed over & who's getting the deal of a lifetime, ya know!?!

I'm severely confused as to why there's a $10k difference in the trade pricing they're offering and what kinda tricks they might have up their sleeve when it comes to "rolling the cash into another vehicle" or whether I should just put it up for private party sale & see if I can squeeze a little extra cash out of it on top of what I believe it's currently worth in regards to trade-value.

All this being said, I'm hoping & looking to you folks for a 3rd & maybe even a 4th opinion on the most optimal idea to get the most value out of this vehicle as i've been extremely satisfied with it over the 49-months i've owned it however it's to the point now where i'm over the 36k warranty & literally just want to move on to a newer Lexus or even potentially a newer Toyota considering the projected residual values I've been able to pull from the internet recently as the Lexus vehicles have dropped by roughly 10-20% in 4-year whereas some Toyota's are as high as 63-68% after 3-years & 36k miles!

Let me know your thoughts & please don't hold back. The more information you're able to provide, the more likely you'll be able to help us make a decision on what our next move is here when it comes to "keepin' it in the LFS/TFS family" because that's just what we've always done & that's what we will continue to do as long as they keep manufacturing such amazingly reliable vehicles!

Located in 12-state Western region. 85281 in AZ to be exact.

Thank in advance for your time & brutal honesty friends!

Regards,
  • Options
    shop it online to Carvana and Vroom (if that is in your area), and swing past Carmax if you have one. This will give you a good reality check too compare to the dealer. But, dealers can often have quite different pricing, depending on if they want your car to sell, are going to wholesale, or just have different opinions. And of course, how much they are offsetting the new car price.

But in your case, if the 2019 is comparably priced, take the higher offer. There is also a saying, when trading in on a new car: "the only difference, is the difference". What is the net cash due for each of those deals? Though you probably should decide first if that is what you want to buy, since you don't seem sure.

• Options
    So, this is odd. I don’t show an Fsport. So I’m thinking the $19k dealer ran into this same problem and priced it as a regular ole is250.

You did not specify, but I’m assuming AWD.

If I price it as “crafted line” I come up with $23k, tops. 

• Options
    he did specify. It is RWD.

• Options
    Ah, at the end of that REALLY long paragraph. ;b
    Well, then, it ain't EVERY option now (except ML audio), is it?
    No AWD drops the value another $2k. No idea where the $29k offer came from.

• Options
    stickguy said:

shop it online to Carvana and Vroom (if that is in your area), and swing past Carmax if you have one. This will give you a good reality check too compare to the dealer. But, dealers can often have quite different pricing, depending on if they want your car to sell, are going to wholesale, or just have different opinions. And of course, how much they are offsetting the new car price.

But in your case, if the 2019 is comparably priced, take the higher offer. There is also a saying, when trading in on a new car: "the only difference, is the difference". What is the net cash due for each of those deals? Though you probably should decide first if that is what you want to buy, since you don't seem sure.

Thank you for the information. I will go ahead and cross reference (do a sanity check) by hitting up the local CarMax as well as pulling deals from the websites you listed above that are available to us here in AZ, CarVana, Vroom and the like! Thanks again for the info! I really appreciate the ideas here, you've helped me quite a bit so thanks so much for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    qbrozen said:

So, this is odd. I don’t show an Fsport. So I’m thinking the $19k dealer ran into this same problem and priced it as a regular ole is250.

You did not specify, but I’m assuming AWD.

If I price it as “crafted line” I come up with $23k, tops. 

Yes I know I ramble & I apologize, I don't really have the ability to be concise when it comes to writing. Sorry to have wasted your time @qbrozen . To be clear, the vehicle has the options i'm listing below. Sorry I didn't realize I could pull the VIN & specify which options this vehicle was equipped with from the day I purchased it.

Here's what I was able to pull once I provided the Lexus site with my VIN# in hopes to clarify anything which could have been missed in the last message with the specifications regarding my 2015 IS250 F-Sport @ 37k, w/o ML Audio or Crafted Line (from what I can tell this is literally everything):

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS:
    Year: 2015
    Model: IS250
    Grade: NON-GRADE
    Exterior: Nebula Gray Pearl
    Body Type: 4DR. SEDAN
    Drive Type: 2WD
    Transmission: 6AT
    First Use: 01/2015
    Interior: BLACK
    Engine: 6-cylinder

ADDITONAL VEHICLE DETAILS:
    Order Date: 10/2014
    Body Style: 4-DOOR SEDAN
    Plant of Manufacture: N/A

PORT OR FACTORY INSTALLED EQUIPMENT:
    BD - Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross-Traffic Alert Auto-Dimming exterior mirrors (FACTORY)
    FK - F SPORT Package Exterior: F SPORT front bumper & spindle grille, LED Headlamps (low & high beam), 18" F SPORT Split 5-Spoke Wheels, FR225/40R18 RR255/35R18, Summer Tires: TFT instrument cluster, Heated & Ventilated front F SPORT seats, Perforated leather steering wheel & shift knob, Black headliner, Aluminum Pedals Performance: FSPORT tuned suspension (FACTORY)
    G4: Illuminated Door Sills (PORT)
    LR: Rear Lip Spoiler (PORT)
    \NV: Navigation System Backup Camera, Remote Touch Interface, Lexus Enform Destination (includes 1-year
    trial subscription); and App Suite (Complimentary), Voice Command, Lexus Insider (FACTORY)
    Z2: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Whl Locks & Rear Bumper App (PORT)

STANDARD INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT: STANDARD FEATURES*
    2.5-liter V6- 24 valve, dual overhead cam (DOHC), Direct injection, Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i), 204 Horsepower, 185 lb-ft Torque Steering Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifters Drive Mode Select- ECO, Normal, Sport & Snow modes Double wishbone front & multi-link rear suspension Vehicle Dynamics Integrated
    Management (VDIM) Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist (BA) 17" Aluminum Wheels- 225/45R17 All-Season tires, Location specific tire pressure monitoring system High Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) low & high beams, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) Dual Chrome Exhaust Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/One-Touch Open/Close SmartAccess with Push-Button Start/Stop Airbags 10: Driver & Front passenger: Front, Knee & Side (6), Rear Side (2), Side Curtain (2)
    Lexus Enform Safety Connect- Automatic Collision Notification,Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assist Button (SOS), & Enhanced Roadside Assistance (1-year trial subscription included) Lexus Enform Remote
    (includes 1-yr trial subscription) Rear View Mirror- Auto Dimming, HomeLink Garage Door Opener Driver Seat: 10-way power, (including 2-way lumbar), Passenger Seat: 8-way power Folding rear seats (60/40 Split) Multi
    Information Display(MID)- full color display includes Audio, Phone and Trip Information Bluetooth hands free phone & audio streaming Lexus Premium Display Audio System- HD Radio with Real-time Traffic and Weather, Gracenote Album Art, MP3 Player USB Integration, CD, SiriusXM Satellite Radio (3-month All Access trial subscription included)

So it turns out this vehicle is an F-SPORT after all but for some reason some dealers or brokers are not able to see the 2015 IS 250 (F-SPORT) package in their system which makes absolute sense at to why the difference is so far off when it comes to the pricing of the different locations now. I knew there was something odd going on there. Thanks for the clarification here friends! I really do appreciate everyone help & sorry for the confusion and/or potential frustration the really long paragraph and my inability to paraphrase/summarize may have caused you @qbrozen :( ... I didn't intend to cause unnecessary frustration in to your day buddy. Thanks for all your help!

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, or if the quote you're giving is still accurate at between $19k & $21k; i'm all for it! I'm open to all feedback other than the obvious, "STFU & STOP WRITING SO MUCH IN THE BLOG" :o --till then, have a great week everyone! (shutting up for now & switching to "sponge mode"! B)
  • Options
    You should be at the dealer trading it in for $29k instead!

• Options
    No apologies needed. I'm just teasing.

But give me the VIN. I can plug that into Manheim and see what comes up.

• Options
    SassyAmSassyAm Member Posts: 3
    Can I get trade in info for:

2016 Ford Cmax Energi SEL
    25,500 miles, Red, standard features
    Located in 92585 (So. California)

Thanks!
  • Options
    SassyAm said:

Thanks!
    Sadly, only about $11k. Ouch.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I had that Ford Cmax on my short list before I bought the Golf. Dealer in Pembroke Pines had a silver one with a special price of just under $27K and it looked to be a pretty good deal. Never got to drive one though and eventually, it was gone. Liked it for the good mpg's but it was a bit on the big size as it has the higher roof which makes it look bigger than it really is. Same issue with the Buick Encore and Chevy Trax cousin, the taller roof which looks a bit out of sync. My wife mentioned it when I showed her the Encore last year before they decided to fix my wounded Golf instead of totaling it.
    Drove a Encore yesterday at work and it seemed fine to me. Accelerated o k and the audio system was a bit on the weak side but besides that, was just fine. Drove a Trax last week and think the Buick does the interior better but again, they charge more.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited March 2019
    qbrozen said:

SassyAm said:

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ouch is right. What's the deal with that Q?
  • Options
    Worth about the same as a 2017 Fusion with a lot less miles. :'(
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I’m guessing the tax credit to the original buyer gets factored in when you try to sell, like the Leaf. And people are wary of the potential cost of battery replacement. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SassyAm said:

Thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------- Ouch is right. What's the deal with that Q?
    Wrong badge. ;)

A Prius V V of similar vintage is worth 60% more

• Options
    That makes sense.