Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Hi folks! Was hoping someone could help me with wholesale/auction/retail on the vehicle as listed below. thanks in advance for your great service! Much appreciated!

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Honda CR-V
    Body Style: 4dr/ SUV
    Engine: 4 cylinder, AUTO
    Driveline: AWD
    Mileage: 13k
    Color: blue/gray
    Major Options: [alloys, sun roof, etc.] fully loaded. Alloy wheels, sun roof, navigation, leather, backup cam. the works. Mint condition and under factory warranty until July 2014.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,756
    Wait for qbrozen to give his number, but I'm going to take a stab and say you'll get $22K on the trade.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    With the NAV, I think $22k would probably be a first offer. I think you could push for more than that. $22,500 should be doable, and maybe even $23k to the right dealer.

Retail? Well, probably not worth it, IMHO. You'd have to sell for $25k to entice anyone to deal with you rather than a dealer, and considering Nevada offers a tax credit on trades, you are talking about an effective trade value of $24,610-$24,840 (tax varies throughout nevada apparently). So I'd just trade it, personally.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Without the crazy used car market, these bring insanely high prices. Is it really worth it to buy used? Lets say he gets $23K for it. Honda dealer slaps a CPO on it & puts it on the lot for what? $26,500? That's literally the same price of a new one (sans the NAV).

• iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Posts: 42
    edited April 2013
    Greetings all!

Due to a change in family circumstance my primary driver became a "second" car and as a result, I'll have used just about half of the allotted 36k mileage.when the term comes to an end later this month.

Is there substantial value to this mileage, as simple as multiplying this 18k remainder times what the overage would have cost (15 or 20 cents a mile)? This comes out to be a couple of grand which when added to the residual seems way high.

Does anyone have any experience with how dealers might credit this towards the new lease... is appraisal first by an entity like Carmax the way to go?

Our intent is to re-lease the same, current model car (now becoming our primary driver) though not necessarily through the previous dealer.

Any thoughts most appreciated :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,828
    Can't speak for everyone, but you need to post specifically about the vehicle you want some feedback on.
    You can use the template at the bottom of the screen.
    That would be a good start. :)
    Give us the specifics and we'll give you an idea. What you are going to do is trade the car in like you own it. Most likely it will be worth more than the lease buyout. Get a number from carmax, a buy bid from a dealer and a trade number from the dealer you want to buy from.

• Thanks explorerx4 and nyccarguy for the quick responses... I overlooked the template at the bottom of the page.

Here goes :)

Nearest Metro: Trenton, NJ
    Year/Make/Model: 2010 Honda Accord LX Sedan Auto (4 cylinder base model)
    Mileage: 18,783
    Color: White/Tan-Beige
    Condition:
    Exterior has nothing of note (finish has consistent shine) other than front bumper has enough lower scraping/damage (parking curbs) to warrant replacement (confirmed with Honda Finance this falls under their $1500 wear 'n tear allowance: part #60210-TA0-A90ZZ $350 retail + paint/installation). Interior is in excellent appearance after detailing.
    Tires - Original 18k+ with rotations/no substantial edge wear/good to go!
    Maintenance - All factory required maintenance documented
    No accidents

Thank you for consideration :)
    Well, you've got yourself round about a $15k trade-in. So what is the buyout?

• seank2seank2 Brunswick, GeorgiaPosts: 71
    Thank you for the advice. Since a quicker sale is worth as much, if not more, to me than top dollar, I think I'll start it off at $3500 and get beat up down to $3000 or a little less, since at this price point the guy with $100 bills will often get the deal.
  • 777rvrrr777rvrrr Posts: 5
    Hi All,

Looking to get some pricing advice on my below car. Looking to trade up to a CPO Infiniti G37. Thanks in advance!

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Acura TL base
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 3.2 V6 Auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 65,000
    Color: Nighthawk black pearl/parchment
    Major Options: All standard (i.e. alloys, bose audio, leather, bi-xenon lights, etc). No navigation package
    Condition: Good/clean interior, average exterior (scratches here and there and the occasional dings). Tires at ~50%, brakes could be changed, maintenance fairly up to date
    Other: Minor rear end damage that was repaired.

Thanks
    Did the damage involved sheetmetal? OR just the bumper and maybe lights? Does it show on carfax?

No frame/sheetmetal damage. The bumper was replaced though. Doesn't show on the carfax. Thanks
  • Thank you for the appraisal qbrozen... buyout is 13539.

Going back to my leasing dealer this weekend to see what their number will be and then I'll hit another dealer or two in Jersey just to sell. Turns out there isn't a Carmax in the area but something similar called Carsense so I'll give them a shot at buying too.

Thanks again!
    There hasn't been another one with anywhere near that mileage at auction. A real clean one with 80k nabbed $5k at the block.

Yours does have some needs, but lower miles... so I would guess that it is about equivalent. So figure $4k-$4500 trade.

Sounds like a great candidate for private party. $6995 asking and $6k taking.

Thanks! Appreciate your help on this. Might end up going the trade route just out of convenience.
    Appreciated your help on my trade in vehicle, qbrozen.

Not to be greedy, but do you mind pulling numbers on the below two cars? Since I'm looking to get a CPO, I figure auction numbers would at least help in getting a beginning negotiation point.

Car 1
    Year/Make/Model: 2011 Infiniti G25 Journey
    Engine: 2.5 V6 Auto
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 15,800
    Color: Moonlight white/graphite
    Major Options: sun roof
    Condition:
    Since it's a CPO, everything should be good. New tires and maintained
    Other: Clean carfax

Car 2
    Year/Make/Model: 2011 Infiniti G37 Journey
    Engine: 3.7 V6 Auto
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 15,400
    Color: Moonlight white/graphite
    Major Options: Premium package (sunroof; Rear cam&radar parking distance sensors; Bose audio system w/ Internal HD : 2.00 GB storage; power Tilt/ telescoping steering wheel; Memorized adjustment: includes two driver settings, door mirror position and steering wheel position; Driver seat ; details: memorized height and memorized tilt; Smart card/smart key; ; includes memory seat and memory steering wheel)
    Condition:
    Since it's a CPO, everything should be good. New tires and maintained
    Other: Clean carfax

Again, much thanks if you are able to pull for me.
    I didn't realize you were in hawaii. Could be a whole different market there.

Here on the mainland, it would be roundabout $21,500 on the G25 and about $26,500 on the G37.

I would imagine they are asking somewhere around $27k and $32k, respectively. If you could get them down to $2k less than that, that would probably be a good deal.

Again, your HI market may vary (greatly).

Thanks for the help qbrozen.

The difficult thing with the negotiation is that they're both CPOs that they were used as loaners - the G37 was a loaner on a lease.

Since they were dealer cars, we could assume that they got the cars under invoice and that the leased car had a cap under invoice and a 70% residual. I'm thinking $25k on the G25 and $28-28.5k on the G37.

Thanks again!
    well, your price on the g25 is exactly what I said to shoot for, but you are most likely low on the 37. At least for a CPO one. But it can never hurt to try.

• vexedvexed Posts: 10
    Another Honolulu Hawaii car:

2007 MB E350 sport
    48K miles
    Flint Grey Over black
    P1 and P2 packages (leather, keyless go nav)
    Right front door reskinned and rear bumper cover replaced but autocheck is clean
    Good condition in and out, three new tires less than 6 weeks ago.
    Had MB extended CPO through November 2013
    Thanks!
    Well, that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Its really going to depend heavily on the quality of the work. on the mainland, probably around $15,500-16k trade if all is invisible to the untrained eye and if the carfax is also clean.

Thanks, that number would not be so bad. The work was good, I can't see any difference in the paint in the adjoining panels. I should spend the $$ for carfax.
    edited April 2013
    When was the accident? If in the past few months, it might not show up just yet.

BTW, don't be surprised if they point out the work to you. We are nowhere near as adept at experienced used car managers at spotting bodywork.

The accident with the door was over 2 years ago, if it was going to show up it would have by now. I am sure if they take a paint meter to the car they will find it, bumper covers are not an issue but a door yes.
    It is such a crock when they do the BS with the paints meter. Yes Used Car Managers can spot body work better than we can (I'm pretty good at it myself). If the body work is TOP NOTCH, they are not going to list it cheaper than a similar car that hasn't had body work. They aren't going to disclose it to the buyer. They just use it as an excuse to offer you less for your car.

• irie057irie057 Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan with 64,000 in Phoenix. I also purchased the extended warranty. I am up to date on all the maintenance. The inside and exterior have minimal wear. Its fully loaded with navigation, alloy rims 17inch, power everything and heated seats, sun roof cruise . I was planning on trading it in for a mini but my check engine light recently came on. The car has never been in any accidents and drive it about 10 miles a day because i moved close to my work. The dealership wont cover the problems that the car is having because the said it was from an impact. the repair will cost me $2800 from them. I need a new radiator and the turbo housing is cracked. Im not sure if i should trade it in as is or fix it.

Any advice would be use full
    Thanks!
    Shannon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wouldn't your insurance cover that damage, then?
  • irie057irie057 Posts: 3
    My insurance rate is already extremely high and my policy renews next month. I would rather not waste money on the deductible to get it fixed if my trade in value would be minimal.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 135
    I don't understand how the dealer can deny warranty coverage.Car hasn't been in an accident hence the dealer claiming that damage is caused by "impact" is apparently wrong.With an extended warranty I'd be in contact with VW hq to get the work done under warranty