Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,440
    well... it wouldn't be bad. Probably better for you. You'd be looking at $25k-26k to buy it from a dealer, so I'd say something more like $23,500 or even 24k.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

high'ish miles and its been kissed. Dealer might hit it around $20k, depending on how well that paint matches.

edited August 2013
    Those must have alot of miles for that price. how many miles on your C-class?

Even at $17k (I'm guessing that's what you mean), it probably has 80k+ miles (if a V6).

Believe me, I understand the desire, BUT, given that you are shopping in that "under $20k" category, you really have to think long and hard about the logic in taking on a vehicle that is so expensive to upkeep and repair that has near 100k miles on it.

• sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    I am attempting to trade-in my 2012 Toyota Tundra 4WD Crewmax SR5/TRD off-road package with the 5.7L V8 and 8,100 miles. It is in great shape as I just need a smaller vehicle that will fit in the garage. I truly love the vehicle but rarely haul things as much as I thought I would.

Dealers in the area are offering me anywhere from $29,000-$33,000. I am sticking with the higher number--do you think it is worth that for a trade-in on a similarly priced vehicle?

Crazy thing is: I only paid $33,400 for the vehicle brand new with rebates. My down-payment was deducted off that price. That would be wonderful to effectively drive the car for one year with only $400 of depreciation.
  • Yes, good advice. I may need to save a bit more, which is fine and buy an 07,08 but then it gets into 20 grand.
    I have found one that has 86 thousand miles.
    My Class wagon has 88 thousand miles
  • sbuhlersbuhler Posts: 100
    Qbrozen .... Would appreciate your help .....
    Some financial decisions to make and considering selling our vehicles. Would appreciate up to date wholesale on all 3 so I can price private party appropriately or consider selling to carmax?

1. 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab
    2WD
    42,000 miles
    Silver
    Excellent Shape, All maintenance, new tires less than 750 miles ago
    Includes Tow Pkg, Alloy Wheels, Power Seats, Leather Steering Wheel, Tow Hooks

2. 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero
    XWD
    25,000 miles
    Glacier Silver Metallic
    Excellent Shape, All maintenance, New tires less than 5,000 miles ago
    Includes NAV, spare tire
    Includes 6/100K transferable exclusionary extended warranty

3. 2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
    AWD
    9,500 miles
    Almost mint shape, All maintenance
    All options except NAV
    Crystal white pearl

Louisiana Area.

Thanks for your help.
    Well, sounds like the place at $33k is overallowing. $31k should be expected and $32k is absolute top of the mark.

Still, its great when things align like that and you can get out of it so cheaply.

1. 5.7 SLT??? Tough one. Not much data to go on... I'd probably think $13k-14k trade.

2. Uhoh, its a Saab.
    Well, lucky for me, this isn't even showing up in manheim, so I can't help you.

3. Gonna have to go with $27,500 on that.

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    This is indeed a crazy world. People are paying insane prices for late model used cars and trucks, more so than I would have believed. Regular readers will recall that I traded in a 2011 Silverado crew cab for a new 2013, paying only $2,300 in difference ($2,800 with TT&L).

And those paying close attention might remember that I posted here about a month or so ago asking what would be a fair price for a 2008 Passat Turbo. Well, I just purchased that Passat yesterday, which left me with one too many vehicles. Yeah, yeah, I know, they have a 12 step program, but I think I'll just join CCBA (smile).

So here I am with one too many vehicles, one of them being a 3 month old truck with slightly less than 1,000 miles on it. So tonight I dropped by CarMax, and I now have in my hands an offer to buy for $27,500. Bear in mind that I purchased the truck for an online advertised price of $26,388. Now this did involve a lot of rebates, some of which I had to argue with the dealer to get, but I did get that price.

Late model used car prices are insane. Makes absolutely no sense. Qbrozen posted here a while back that the new Mustang he just bought would bring more at auction than he paid for it, and he is correct.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    Dropped off a bunch of vehicles here yesterday and I saw all kinds of iron...it was like a kid in a candy store! Would love to spend some time there just watching what goes on. Am thinking about stopping over there and checking into any employment opportunities that they might have. I was curious though...we put our vehicles into certain numbered rows but how and when can buyers check out these vehicles? I mean how can they see, touch, feel and look under the hoods to tell if they want to purchase for their dealerships or other places of business? There must be procedures going on that I just don't know about. Does anyone really know how these auctions operate?

Working there would be absolutely awesome, a real dream come true! One never knows!!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,145
    edited August 2013
    Congratulations on buying the Passat and selling the Silverado. I think you'll enjoy it! I think we've already said this, but be sure you change the transmission fluid on the Passat every 40,000 miles.

Definitely sign up with CCBA. We'll have you talking about what you're going to trade the Passat for before the week is up!
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Late model used car prices are insane.

Agreed.

I just bought a new car over the weekend. I briefly looked at used options, but the pricing is crazy. Especially as there are some great new car promos out there for summer, plus subsidized financing.

The flip side, as you note, was that I got more that I expected for my trade in. A lot more.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,639
    a few years ago, I was working with a local dealer that was semi-retired, and mostly bought cars from the auction by order. I got to see his computer set up. It was addictive. you could watch 6 lanes at a time, and he could bid on anything online.

anyway, all the cars (at least those at that manhiem) were rated (I assume by the auction company) and you could see that. mostly condition report (paint/body/tires/interior/etc. So, you had a reasonable idea of what you were getting.

there is also time before the sale to check out the stock. I know they could look at sit, but IIRC could not start? Though you could watch/listen to them drive in. so some dealers (including this guy) basically did (or hired someone to do) a PPI (but again, I can't recall if they could start it up.

I do know that there was the option of returning it if the car was not as represented (say 5 miles away the engine started pouring out smoke). Might have been some sort of arbitration, but the buyer did have recourse (but not for chickening out, just misrepresentation)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• jwm40517jwm40517 Posts: 57
    A used car dealer friend of mine told me last month about going to auctions and watching dealers taking a picture of vin #'s with a smart phone and getting a Carfax report instantly on the phone.
  • jmellonjmellon Posts: 7
    I would appreciate any input on a fair trade in value for the following vehicle. Thank you.

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4 Hemi
    Body Style: 4dr SUV
    Engine: 5.7 Hemi V8
    Driveline: 4WD
    Mileage: 51300
    Color: Exterior, Red - Interior, Black
    Major Options: 20 inch alloy wheels, panoramic sunroof, navigation, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, towing package
    Condition:
    Interior is excellent, small ding in front bumper
    Tires - Were replaced a few months ago and in excellent condition
    Brakes - No issues
    Maintenance - all maintenance records available
    Other: No damage or insurance claims, clean title
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,243
    I've seen that APP. I entered the VIN manually, as I was inside an office, but the person whose phone/APP I was using says he uses it frequently...

I think it was a Manheim APP. Gives you auction values and with a button push, a CarFax report... very handy.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well, I don't have any Overlands to go by, so I'm going to say its an Overland Summit. I have zero idea what the difference is.

You'd be looking at around $28-28,500.

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    edited August 2013
    Curious what you're seeing on these. Brief chat with the dealer looks like I could possibly swap for a new one (a '13) for not a lot out-of-pocket.

2012 MDX Tech AWD
    23,000 miles
    Aspen Pearl with parchment
    Couple small marks on the seats but otherwise like new. Tires are 9/32.
  • nycconnectnycconnect Posts: 8
    edited August 2013
    I would appreciate any input on a fair trade in value for the following vehicle. Thank you.

Year/Make/Model:2008 Toyota Sienna
    Body Style: Minivan
    Engine: 6 cylinder, auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage:55000
    Color: white Exterior, Gray interior
    Major Options: 8 passenger, 17" Alloy wheels, Dual power doors, Power seat, Temp display, Trip calculation, Remote, All service records available along with new tires, brakes, battery
    Condition:
    Clean shiny paint with minor dings from grocery store cart
    Tires - new
    Brakes - new, Battery - new
    Maintenance - regular maintained per the manual

Looking to trade this for Honda. Thank you for your time.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663
    Howdy neighbor! I'm in Stamford too;)