Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,828
    If you're shopping for a new car and are under 5’2” or over 6’2” please email PR@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, September 13, 2013 to be interviewed by a reporter.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thanks for the info.

I forgot to mention that this vehicle is for my father, and, unfortunately, when I proposed the idea of a Pathfinder, he wasn't too excited. He stated that the new PF's shape has been completely revamped and the older shaped, truck based models now look outdated. I can see where he is coming from as the new PF looks like it is from a different planet. Furthermore, he stated that he would much rather get an older MDX (2010-2012), than a PF as the newer shaped MDX models are not too different from the older ones.

Sebring, for around 30K or lower, what are his other reasonable options? We also had a discussion about leasing and then buying afterwards. I am not too sure, but I would think this comes out to a bit more spread over years than just purchasing outright...
  • jmeaselljmeasell Posts: 30
    edited September 2013
    That's probably why he's selling it for $25K. What would be a reasonable OTD offer? Thanks for the feedback.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,158
    I can't help you with OTD, as I don't know the taxes and fees where you live.

$25k is a pretty good starting point. If you can get him down another $1k, its a good deal. Even just $500 would still be fair, though.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Well coincidentally I have a '12 MDX as well. It's the same as any other crossover for the most part and FAR from a frame-based SUV. It sounds like he's all over the map and doesn't really know what he wants. As far as frame based SUV's in the past 3-4 years, the Pathfinder and 4Runner are it until you go full-sized. As he mentioned, the '13 Pathfinder is totally redesigned as a crossover and looks like every other crossover to me. Does he actually need a real 4x4 with tow capacity? MDX is a fine vehicle but I don't think you'll find anything low mileage approaching that price point. If he really doesn't need a real SUV there are tons of options really. Just pick something. Highlander, Pilot, CRV, RAV4, they all are fine on-road vehicles.
  • Thanks as always. As the new body is not financially achievable for a wage earner like me, I am torn in between the new 435 and previous SL550 :) Summer is over, we should see more like these hopefully.
  • Any ideas what auction prices would be?
    2012 Chevy Malibu 1LT, 20,000 mi, 2.4 engine. Car is clean, tires, brakes show the20k miles.
    2012 Chevy Impala LS, 15,000 mi 3.6 engine. Also a clean car.
    Dealer is asking 14500 for either. I was wondering what they go for at auction.
    Located in New England. Im thinking former "fleet" cars.
    thanks
    1LT is in the $12k-$13k range. So price is a good one if it all checks out.

I don't show any such animal as a V6 LS. Any V6 with those miles is about $17k at the block, so I'm doubting that's what it is.

I'm guessing it is also a 4-cyl car, in which case it is also right there in that $12,500 zip code.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,080
    "I don't show any such animal as a V6 LS."

No Impalas from that generation had a four cylinder... I think you may have looked up a Malibu instead.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,627
    edited September 2013
    Just so you know, I drove home a '13 Malibu 1LT from the auction yesterday with just over 18k on the clock and it was a pleasure...absolutely smooth and the shifts were so unnoticeable I had to look at the shifter to see what gear I was in. Even commented to myself that this is a really sweet driving vehicle and actually not that big...I prefer vehicles around 180" or so. Even in white, it wasn't too bad looking. The '13 model had the refresh with the nicer looking tail lights but you can't go wrong with the '12 either. Chevy did a great job with the Malibu and a shame more folks don't consider it, every bit as good as the Toyota Camry, maybe even better!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

ah, yes, yes i did. thought they were both malibus.

ok, the Impala is pretty much down at that $12k mark. Still a solid price on it.

• Thank you. I am looking at potential replacements for my commuter. Never hurts to look and see what there is before I absolutely have to do something. The Malibu was good, 4-cyl gives about 32-33 highway. But the Impala with the V6 and six speed trans has the same drivetrain as the new 2014. 30 mpg and 300 hp, car was a sleeper. Dated design with a modern powertrain.
    I had a rental Impala with that powertrain awhile back and was very impressed. Very relaxed, shift points were good, and strong engine that averaged around 30mpg. The rest of the car....it wasn't bad on the highway but out on the two-lane back roads it's probably one of the worst handling vehicles currently sold. The Malibu does a little better on gas and drives just as well on the highway...better everywhere else. All that Malibu power isn't really necessary on the highway so it almost doesn't make sense to buy it. The new one seems to be much nicer all around...one of the office secretaries just picked one up and loves it.
  • seank2seank2 Brunswick, GeorgiaPosts: 69
    This is for my paralegal/right arm/all around savior of my business world

She's got this and is looking to, most likely, trade:

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    pearl white over grey cloth
    All the standard goodies, plus it has some extras:
    moonroof
    bluetooth phone/audio
    rearview camera
    dual auto climate
    factory alloys
    Obviously 2.5 4 cyl/CVT
    It's basically a 2.5SL without the leather
    Maintenance is current, 2 small (1/2") scratches on the rear bumper from her son loading luggage into the trunk
    No hits, runs or errors.
    The kicker, as a result of her 120 mile daily commute: 80,000 BIG miles.

She's looking to trade on a 2013 or 14 of the same thing: pearl white 2.5SV

The dealer is hitting her at $7,000
    We're in Brunswick, GA, on the coast between Savannah and Jacksonville, FL

What say the masters?
    Sounds like the dealer is light on it, even with those miles. Unless it is a real dog, they are still fetching up to $10k at the block with 75k-90k miles. If it is really nice, good tires and brakes, other than those couple of scratches, I don't see why $8500 shouldn't be possible, especially from a Nissan dealer.

Here are just a few examples in your neck of the woods.

09/18/13 NASHVILL Regular $10,500 78,797 SILVER
    09/03/13 NASHVILL Lease $9,300 79,487 BLACK
    09/12/13 TAMPA Lease $9,800 79,694 WHITE
    09/04/13 NASHVILL Lease $9,600 82,375 WHT PERL
    09/12/13 TAMPA Lease $9,500 83,132 RED

• seank2seank2 Brunswick, GeorgiaPosts: 69
    Thanks for the help Q. She was ready to do the deal today, but the dealer started moving numbers around again, and generally playing games, so she walked. This is the same dealer she's bought her last 4 cars from, and with the miles she puts on, she's buying every 3 years.

So, the hunt continues. I'll pass the info along.
  • 20K miles - very good condition.
    Premium 1 package - orig msrp $58.5K

Does anyone have any info on current direct trade in offers or have info on recent auction pricing on the vehicle? Thank you
    There are actually quite a few out there. They are trading right in that $34k-35k mark.

Trade in? Well, this is probably one that could defy logic. I would guess that most non-MB dealers would be a bit scared of it and hit you at $31k-32k. An MB dealer would be smart to keep it below $34k, but you never know. They may fall in love and want to CPO it, if its eligible, and offer as much as 35k.

2007 Acura TL sedan navigation, back camera, V6 engine. In great condition .

All the standard goodies, plus it has some extras:
    moonroof
    bluetooth phone
    rearview camera
    dual auto climate
    individual seat

Only 28,000 miles . Dealer is quoting 14000. Fair price or should i expect some more or less.
    I think that's fair. The only other car even close was rated above average with 36k miles and got $14,400 at the block. So they are definitely pricing yours as the best of the best.

• Hi All!

I just wanted to check in on the prices for a 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T. I've found two in the Portland area that fall into what I'm looking for. Below are the details:

Both Cars:
    Year/Make/Model: 2011 Audi 2.0T Premium Plus
    Engine: 2.0Turbo 8-Spd Auto
    Driveline: AWD

Car A:
    Mileage: 45500
    Color: Meteor Grey Pearl (Charcoal)
    Major Options: Navigation System, Pano-Sunroof, LED/Xenon Lights, 19" premium wheels.
    Condition: Factory Dealer CPO Vehicle, so should be in "Excellent" condition.
    Other: Clean History, 1-owner; purchased and maintained from same dealer. I'm assuming that it was a trade-in for a new Audi; was certified and put up for sale 2 weeks ago. Remaining Factory warranty and 100k CPO warranty until 8/2016. The dealer is asking $34900.

Car B:
    Mileage: 39400
    Color: Quartz Grey Metallic (Medium Silver)
    Major Options: Navigation System, Pano-Sunroof, LED/Xenon Lights, 19" premium wheels, Tow Package, Bang & Olufsen sound system.
    Condition: Independent Dealer says "Exceptional" condition, service/maint is up-to-date.
    Other: Clean History, 1-owner. Looks to have been purchased on 6/10/2013 at Pacific region auto auction; went up for sale on 6/15/2013. Factory warranty good until 4/2015 or 50k miles. The dealer is asking $34995.

I'm not looking to low ball them on price, just want to make sure I know all the facts for negotiations and pay a fair price.

Thanks for any info you can provide! :-)
  • ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    Year/Make/Model: 2004 Ford F250
    Body Style: Lariat Crew Cab
    Engine: 6.0 diesel, automatic
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 87k

Needs new tires, front tires would not pass state inspection. Mechanical condition appears good, drives and shifts okay, AC blows cold. The leather is in good condition, the paint looks good.

It is a one owner, elderly driver who is being forced to sell as he can no longer drive.

How much would this bring at auction?
    Given the options, these seem to be around that $28-29k zip code at auction.

Knowing that, $33,500 feels better to me on the CPO one. I wouldn't go over $32k on non-CPO, personally.

edited September 2013
    miles are low. About $9k-9500.

Wouldn't be surprised if a dealer would step up on it, though. Hell, carmax may even hit it at $10k.

• snoguitarsnoguitar Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the info, qbrozen!

That is pretty much the price range I am aiming for ($32-33.5k). Hopefully the dealers will feel they are fair prices too. (I'm sure not looking forward to paying the negotiation game.)
    I would think private sale on that all day long. I just easily sold an '05 F-250 XL gasser with 180k HARD miles for $9k. I might have trouble here in OH with a 2wd but in TX that should bring good coin with such low miles. I could probably get $15k for it here and it would be gone in a couple days. Used trucks are nutso right now.
  • ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    Qbrozen, thanks for looking that up for me, appreciated. And sebring95, thanks for your input as well.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,424
    Looks like the trade number is going to be $37,500. Thanks as always for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

oh well. I assume that's the only Porsche dealer?