Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• rny421rny421 Posts: 8

@stickguy said: Where upstate? King of Prussia car max is any easy shot down the northeast extension from 81.

Rochester, NY. We actually just got a CarMax within the last month or so. King of Prussia wouldn't be far. I'll keep my eye out on CarMax's inventory.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830

@my421 There are a few Volvo dealers in my area, so I've seem quite a few S60's, Never one quite like the one you linked to. with the silver looking trim under the doors and silver rear valance.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,946

RMY, here is one that sounds nice, if you can live with FWD. Has the tech package, so all the fancy safety stuff (BLIS, adaptive cruise), and bi-xenons.

http://keystonemotors.com/Certified-2012-Volvo-S60-T5-TECHNOLOGY-Berwyn-PA/vd/20658265

Though looking at the carfax, I see why it is so cheap. 3 separate accidents reported! wonder how they still put a CPO on it? may have all been minor, but still tainted.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    edited June 11

I would hit the MINI COOPER at $18000--$19000. Not sure of myself though. My impression is that there isn't high demand for these JCWs.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,946

well, it is cheap relative to the silly prices dealers ask normally.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,527

missed that JCW. A black one with almost identical miles went through CA auction for $19,100. Others with even more miles were still around that $19k mark. Seems like their $21k price is them trying to get rid of it.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I don't think they are fast movers. Maybe it's the color on this one, I don't know. I suspect pricing on a car like a JCW MINI is very regionally biased.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,673

Thanks all. The dealer has had it for over a month. Lack of a hole in the rood and the manual HVAC probably aren't increasing it's desirability to the average Mini buyer...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited June 11

well, here is the list. Seems pretty consistent at all "corners" of the country.

04/02/14 NJ Regular $21,400 32,882 Avg BLK/RED 4GT 6 Yes

04/24/14 EL PASO Lease $19,100 43,715 Avg BLACK 4GT 6 Yes

06/10/14 ORLANDO Regular $19,200 47,570 Avg RED 4GT 6 Yes

02/12/14 DALLAS Regular $18,750 59,998 Avg BLUE 4GT 6 Yes

Well the driver who might want to track his JCW wouldn't want a sun roof anyway, so you got that right. Even more of a niche was the MINI GT, with no back seat. No pretense there.

@roadburner said: Thanks all. The dealer has had it for over a month. Lack of a hole in the rood and the manual HVAC probably aren't increasing it's desirability to the average Mini buyer...

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,384

Saw a 13 Highlander Hybrid LTD AWD, blk/blk , 13k miles. Any thoughts on what these are doing at auction? They are asking $41995.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,769

I'd wait for @qbrozen obviously, but I'm going to guess somewhere in the $35K neighborhood. When the "new" 2014s came out, I saw dealer's around here advertising the 2013s for quite a while.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

@qbrozen

What's the market for used 2012 Acura TL SH AWDs (with tech pkg) look like here in the northeast? Silver/Black - Black/Black (I know, very exciting color combos). I'm seeing some used ones pop up at non-Acura dealers in the $25K range with 30 - 40K miles on them.

@qbrozen -- my friend just had his 2002 Porsche Boxster totaled. Very clean, a few bumper chips, 90,000 miles, tiptronic, no other special options I can think of. Very good service records. What's a decent payoff you think?

'13 Highlander Hybrid Limited - averaging about $39k, so seems they want to move it.

Acura - about $24-25k at the block. I'd be wary of those at $25k retail.

Porsche - non-S, right? Hmmm... average would be about $9k-9500. Figure $12k fair retail.

@qbrozen

"If it's too good to be true, it probably is" I'd be wary of those at $25k retail.

Thank-you

Yep, $12K retail is just what I thought, too! thanks very much! Shifty.

The responsible insurance company is AAA, and they play hardball, so we'll see.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,384

@qbrozen Thanks q; not a lot of local HH comps but the few I've seen seem higher, so that makes sense.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• stevesteinstevestein Posts: 263

@qbrozen said: Miata - black top and interior ain't good in So FL. I'm gonna go low on this and say it might see $7k at auction. So $9k should buy it.

SC430 - dealer might give you $20k if feeling lucky/generous. Maybe a little less. Private party? well, miles are super low so I'd shoot for a premium. Ask $23,995 and go from there.

Another lexus in Florida ... hey, so I know this person selling a super low mile SC430.... ;) Ok, the ES. Looks like one they bought at the Orlando auction back on 5/5 for $22,500. Can't say I know what a Lexus CPO costs, but let's say they've got $24... maybe $24.5k into it?? But who knows? They could have buried themselves, but that's not your concern. I think the $26k number is a pretty good one. But I suppose $27k isn't killing anyone, as long as you love it and keep it a long time. I was downsizing 3 cars to 2. Dealer offered 22K. Before I could bring 2nd car for appraisal my neighbor offered 23. I told my dealer that and he freaked - he'd already "sold" my SC. Ended up at 23.5 for the SC.

congrats. you made out well on it.

• bangorbangor Posts: 7
    My lease is due to end in 3 months, (2011 Acadia AWD Denali w/nav & DVD) I called the leasing company as did the dealer I'm working with, the lease buyout today is 29,674.96. The buyout at the end of the lease is 25753.

I'm thinking that my best bet is to wait until the end of the lease to trade it in because I'll have more equity in it? I'm not sure the value of my car but the same model with similar mileage is on lots with an asking price of 36-37K. So I'm assuming the dealer trade in value would be about 30K currently.

So my thinking is in 3 months by waiting I should have 4K in equity to use towards next lease, am I right in this assumption, any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance!
  • jkipsterjkipster Posts: 65

I'm trying to figure my options with my wife's car: 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe at 112k miles. What is a fair trade in amount in SoCal and what is a fair private sale amount?

edited June 23

G35: what trim level? stick or auto? what color combo? Any bad history (accidents)?

Denali: how many miles? location? color combo? any bad history?
    I fail to understand how the buyout drops $4k in just 3 months. Are you sure the $29k number doesn't include tax? Which, depending on your state's laws, wouldn't apply in the case of trading it in.

• jkipsterjkipster Posts: 65
    edited June 23

@qbrozen said: G35: what trim level? stick or auto? what color combo? Any bad history (accidents)?

Base (non-sport) auto with diamond graphite exterior and the willow interior. Seems to have most options (bose audio, xenon hl) except no navi.

• bangorbangor Posts: 7
    @qbrozen

I'm in PA, it's diamond white and it has has 29,600 miles. It also has a good history.

I don't know it that number includes tax or not, I just know when I asked for today's buyout price it was the 29,674 (that would be price until 7/24). The 25753 is what's stated as buyout in lease contract (FYI leasing company is US Bank).

I guess I really want to know what my car is worth to the dealer.

G35: well, California seems to love these. Worth more there than in the northern states. You'd probably see $7k-$7500 from a dealer if it has had no paintwork and is clean.

Denali: your assumption is pretty close. Probably more like $29k on it right now.
    I believe PA works as NJ does. And I'm pretty certain the 2 numbers you are comparing aren't exactly comparable. The buyout on the contract is sans tax, while the buyout you are being quoted is with tax. So your current buyout without tax is something like $27,995. Still, though, dropping $2200 in 3 mos doesn't seem right unless you have a monster payment. Maybe there is some kind of penalty with buying it out now or it includes a end of lease fee that might also need to be added to that 25,753 number. Anyhoo... yes, you will very likely have more equity in 3 mos. Right now, its only about $1k.

• breldbreld Posts: 1,340
    edited June 24

Just to point out the obvious, but that additional equity in 3 mos isn't just being created by "waiting". You're paying for that "equity" through the 3 additional monthly payments, right? It's not like the car is appreciating over the 3 months - in fact, it will probably depreciate just a bit.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,827

Anyone want to take a look at this discussion on a 200K miles Subaru?

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/18718/subaru/outback/rebuilt-05-outback-w-200k-worth-5-000?new=1

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 28firefighter28firefighter Posts: 603

Alright, what say the sages on this one? Nothing I want to hear, I'm sure...

2011 Mazda3 s Sport Sedan (still in warranty, purchased January 2012) Silver Metallic Black Cloth Automatic 18k miles 2.5L 4 Cylinder Engine Bose Xenons Navigation Sirius Bluetooth Keyless Entry/Keyless Start

Has some routine wear and tear from commuting, and a couple small chips on the bumper thanks to I-5.

Located in Seattle.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778

@bangor said: My lease is due to end in 3 months, (2011 Acadia AWD Denali w/nav & DVD) I called the leasing company as did the dealer I'm working with, the lease buyout today is 29,674.96. The buyout at the end of the lease is 25753.
    I'm thinking that my best bet is to wait until the end of the lease to trade it in because I'll have more equity in it? I'm not sure the value of my car but the same model with similar mileage is on lots with an asking price of 36-37K. So I'm assuming the dealer trade in value would be about 30K currently.
    So my thinking is in 3 months by waiting I should have 4K in equity to use towards next lease, am I right in this assumption, any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Unless you are WAY under miles, it's doubtful that you will have equity at the end of the lease. Leases don't work that way UNLESS they really underestimated the residual.