Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,664
    crosstrek - very very steady prices across the country on these. Unfortunately, you have a higher-mileage example. ~$23k.

stick - what a dealer would have to say about it is very different than retail road, of course. You'd see a grand, tops. on a trade. Try $3495 and see what happens.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,976
    @beofgod

Why are you looking to dump your Crosstrek Hybrid so soon? You want to trade it in on a cheaper Impreza 2.5i? There are still new 2014s out on dealer lots. You are going to get hammered by depreciation.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• beofgodbeofgod Posts: 12
    Tell him where're your located. It does matter. With such a new vehicle, plan to bend over, big time.

Thanks, add zip 21144...

That's why I asked here first, I don't want to pass out at the dealership! 

qbrozen said:
    crosstrek - very very steady prices across the country on these. Unfortunately, you have a higher-mileage example. ~$23k. stick - what a dealer would have to say about it is very different than retail road, of course. You'd see a grand, tops. on a trade. Try $3495 and see what happens.

Thanks, now I have to see where I am at on the payoff...I appreciate your help!

nyccarguy said:
    @beofgod‌ Why are you looking to dump your Crosstrek Hybrid so soon? You want to trade it in on a cheaper Impreza 2.5i? There are still new 2014s out on dealer lots. You are going to get hammered by depreciation.

I will probably go used 05-10 Forester XT under 100k under $15G's...I may have to wait a bit longer to trade depending on my payoff...

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,622
    $3,495 was about what I was thinking. $3,900 might be pushing it. Once you get below $3,500, you got a lot of cash buyers and a lot of crappy cars.

Someone shows up with 33 Benjamins, and we can do business. Much less, I get grumpy and go all Andre stashing them in the back yard.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

lol

• Hello!
    I haven't been on in a while but I am a CCB (or at least shopper).

looking for trade in value on 2013 Elantra Limited with Tech package, 28,800 miles, Excellent condition, very clean and cared for, in NJ.

also, 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander 4WD, 48,000 miles (yes!), some blemishes on outside, no dents or damage. good mechanically and clean interior, in NJ.

Thanks!
    $12.5k-$13k
    ehhh... $4k-$5k on the mitsu.

• 2011 Toyota Camry
    - Color: Red
    - Model: SE
    - 4 Cylinder
    - 57,000 miles
    - New tires last year
    - Vehicle is in good condition with normal wear and tear
    - Single owner
    - No smoking
    - Spoiler and sport pedals
    - Bluetooth, cd, sunroof

Any ideas on trade in value?
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 232
    Rexamus, you need to also tell qbrozen what part of the world you're located in. It does make a difference.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,028
    I think in any part that would sell in about 2 seconds.
  • 2007 Honda Civic EX Sedan with 46,250 miles located in Columbus Ohio area. Tires @ 95%. All maintenance done by the dealer. some touched-up scratches but very clean otherwise. Looking for possible trade-in value on 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium. What would a reasonable value be for the car?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,965
    @suydam, rezamus still needs to know what it's worth.
  • I would like to trade in a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L with NAV. 47,000 miles. Located in Southeast PA. Great condition no dents or scratches. What would be a good trade-in price. Going to buy a New Jeep GC. Thank you.
    Camry - $10k-$10.5k

civic - low low miles makes for a very tough valuation. A couple have been $5500-$6k while a couple of others have brought $9k. That's quite a difference. So its going to depend on the dealer and how they feel about it. I would see what their offer is. You could probably advertise it yourself for $8900 and sell it in a heartbeat.

Pilot - in PA, I'm going to assume its AWD. Somewhere in the $22k-$23k range.

• seank2seank2 Brunswick, GeorgiaPosts: 71
    It's always something interesting in my world, and as my office increasing looks like a used car lot, I have these two to add:

1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS
    Black over grey leather
    99,600 miles
    This was the top of the line Caprice in the day, so it has dual power seats, am/fm cassette, COLD a/c, alloy wheels
    305 V8, 4 speed auto
    There's a drag mark down both bumpers on the right side, and the bumpers are faded everywhere after 20 years of the south Georgia sun, but otherwise it looks exceptional for a 20 year old vehicle.
    Retail road, obviously, and this is one I can park in certain neighborhoods and sell inside of about 20 minutes given the type of vehicle it is.

I'm thinking $2-3000 on this without much trouble at all.

The other, which is tempting as a fun second car:

2007 Mercedes SLK 350
    pearl white over tan leather (it feels like real leather over MBTex)
    AMG Sport pack, with 17" wheels
    3.5 V6, auto (which I think is the 7Geartronic)
    66,700 miles
    6 CD changer in the glove compartment
    dual auto climate
    dual power seats with driver memory
    It needs tires badly, and a really, really good detail, as it has been sitting for many months under a cover and a car port, so it has a musty smell inside.
    It runs very well, and looks fairly well preserved. One elderly owner, who used it to run around St. Simons Island, and still has the plate frame and keychain from the Porsche/Lexus/Benz dealer in Jacksonville, Florida.

It's been neglected a bit lately, but it still hits me around $15,000, but I'll defer to the experts on both.

yeah, I'd take a stab at $2995 asking and $2500 taking on the Caprice. Maybe even as low as $2k if it sits too long.

$15k trade-in on the Benz is about right. But for you to sell it? Clean it up, put on new shoes, list it for $19995 and kick it to the curb at the first $18k that comes by.

• jsyodesjsyodes Central IllinoisPosts: 18
    Q, thanks for the service you provide here, and I am going to ask for a little assistance. I am looking at a 2014 Gray Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring which is at a Honda dealer in Central IL. Just under 7,000 miles, loaded with about everything including navigation. Just wonder on approximate trade value, to see where we might end up, now that the 2015 Mazdas are at dealers. They are currently asking $27,995. Thanks for any help.
    edited September 22
    They are about $25k. So that's actually a good price.
    But, of course, that begs the question: Why buy used? Per Truecar, I could get a 2015 AWD GT w/ Tech package for just under $30k. Even less if I qualify for any incentives ($750 trade-in bonus cash or $500 loyalty, for example).

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,976
    Plus you know they gave it to the CX5 owner royally!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,965
    Q,
    Brought my 2002 Explorer in for oil change/tire rotation.
    They came back with a laundry list of items it needed.
    Total was close to 3k.
    Not ever going to do all that, but I might be able to get away with 8-900 to limp it along.
    Would like to keep is another 2 years, if possible.
    In the last year, I put about 4k miles on it and that is about what I would expect to put on it per year.
    I saw this on the lot and it caught my attention.
    monacoford.com/Hartford-CT/For-Sale/Used-Certified/Ford/Explorer/2013-XLT-Blue-SUV/29575551/
    2013, XLT, AWD, leather, sunroof, nav, 20's, plus some other stuff. Certified, just under 10k miles.
    Asking price is 33,250. It said it was a great price on the windshield. :)
    $28k-$29k at the block. Doesn't sound bad for CPO. $32,500 sounds better.

• jsyodesjsyodes Central IllinoisPosts: 18
    Thanks Q. Agreed, we will have to look at the new CX-5's also.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    If you live in the NYC metro area and have a 2007-2012 Ford Fusion, Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey or Hyundai Elantra that you could bring into Manhattan this Friday morning, please write PR@edmunds.com to learn about a unique opportunity.

If you have any friends/family who qualify, please send them our way!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hi Q!

Looking for trade value for 

2012 VW Jetta TDI Sedan 

Premium Trim w/manual transmission

42800 miles

Reflex silver

Black Interior

Body is great condition cosmetically no dings or scratches  interior is excellent  no wear and tear or scratched vinyl  

one accident on car fax with right rear quarter panel repair  

St Louis area

KBB has it high at 15000 trade  tMV is like 14800

Will need new tire set in another 15K miles

Is 13500 out of reach do you think?

First pencil from the dealer (VW) for the trade was 11800

Am looking at Jetta TDI Wagon or Hyundai Tucson/Santa Fe, but figure id probably get more from a vw dealer

Thanks for any input in advance!

Welcome! Thorough first post. I'm impressed.

However, can you tell me more about this repair? Was it just paintless dent removal? Straightened and painted? Or completely replaced?

$12k is low, but if that repair was serious enough, it is understandable. A VW dealer should be at $14k for a clean one.

• stl_agcstl_agc Posts: 5
    edited September 24
    Q,
    It was replacement of the rear quarter panel and the bumper, so they had to cut and weld in replacement piece. (Ford F-150 blindsided me making a blind left turn and impacted straight behind the rear passenger door. No frame damage though)

Replacement was new OEM VW Jetta panel, rather than refurb or older part. Beautifully done on the outside and the repaint was perfectly matched, but you can see where it was welded if you pop the trunk and look where the quarter panel connects to the trunk assembly.

That accident does show up on the carfax, and i know it impacts value, although lazier folks doing an estimate wouldnt notice unless they pop the trunk and inspect.

CarMax did a thorough look (and pointed out the weld area, which I had never seen) at they offered 11K, but they said for them it would be an auction vehicle.

The VW dealer did the 11800 first pencil. The offer for the Jetta TDI Sportwagon is 23735 before TTL, which is extremely good on a new 14.

For them to sell on the lot they would have to do front brake pads and new tires, so I mentally factor in -1100 for that, hence my highest range of 13500, but i dont think thats possible.

Thanks! Appreciate your insight. Helps make what seems to be a potential ripoff scenario understandable when you know why they are making the valuations they are making. I would just be irritated to see them give me 12, throw 1000 into it, and then sell it for 16. I'd rather sell it for 14500-15K myself than give it away to the dealer.

Hope you are having a great day

thanks. you, too.

Considering that repair, $12k is pretty strong money for it. Will they sell it for $16k? If they are lucky, yes. But that shouldn't irritate you. Making $2500-$3k on a used car is how these guys stay in business.

have you compared the price of the new one to TrueCar? If it really is a good price, and I think that's good money for your trade, I would have to suggest taking the deal.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,981
    stl_agc said:

Q,
    It was replacement of the rear quarter panel and the bumper, so they had to cut and weld in replacement piece. (Ford F-150 blindsided me making a blind left turn and impacted straight behind the rear passenger door. No frame damage though)

Replacement was new OEM VW Jetta panel, rather than refurb or older part. Beautifully done on the outside and the repaint was perfectly matched, but you can see where it was welded if you pop the trunk and look where the quarter panel connects to the trunk assembly.

That accident does show up on the carfax, and i know it impacts value, although lazier folks doing an estimate wouldnt notice unless they pop the trunk and inspect.

CarMax did a thorough look (and pointed out the weld area, which I had never seen) at they offered 11K, but they said for them it would be an auction vehicle.

The VW dealer did the 11800 first pencil. The offer for the Jetta TDI Sportwagon is 23735 before TTL, which is extremely good on a new 14.

For them to sell on the lot they would have to do front brake pads and new tires, so I mentally factor in -1100 for that, hence my highest range of 13500, but i dont think thats possible.

Thanks! Appreciate your insight. Helps make what seems to be a potential ripoff scenario understandable when you know why they are making the valuations they are making. I would just be irritated to see them give me 12, throw 1000 into it, and then sell it for 16. I'd rather sell it for 14500-15K myself than give it away to the dealer.

Hope you are having a great day

When we traded in our daughter's MINI earlier this year for a new one, I came here at got Q's opinion on the trade value.

He hit it at about 11-11.5 and thought 12 was all the money in the world. Before going to the dealer, I did a full detail on the car. The only thing wrong with it was a small scrape on the rear bumper.

Dealer took a look at it, declared it "line ready" and offered $12K as the trade value.

It showed up on their website two days later with an asking price of $16K.

We also saved about $950 in sales tax by trading, and no hassles in trying to sell it privately.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews