Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Michaell said:

Hi, can anyone give me a trade value for a 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD in Colorado (80104)? No damage/accidents, 32000 miles, Blizzard Pearl White with the Convenience Package, Alarm, and Leather Seats. Thanks!

Interesting ... my home zip code is 80104, too.

Can't help with the trade value; our resident expert, q, will be along at some point and give you a good number to work with. He hit the trade value of my daughter's 2010 MINI Cooper on the nose earlier this year when she traded it in.
    Oh nice. We just built a new place in Kings Ridge. We love it out here.
  • qbrozen said:

hmmm... sounds nice. While I don't have data on Colorado, I'd have to assume it would do pretty well there. If its real sharp and all maintenance up to date and needs nothing, might see $27k-$27,500 for it.

Yeah, all up to date and dealer maintained. Thanks for the info!
  • metaphysicalmetaphysical Posts: 3
    edited November 12
    Hi.  My lease end is coming up in a little over a month. It's a 2012 civic lx base grey 4 door model. I've only driven it for 24k miles. Problem is,  I got rear ended 2 months back and the rear pumper and trunk lid had to be replaced. So the residual listed on the lease contract is 12.2k. Is it good idea to buy the car or not? Also,  I think there was a recall for this model but mine wasn't affected. I'm in CA. 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,706
    Personally, I don't think its a "good deal." Its quite subjective in some regard. So, the car's straight up trade value is going to be very dependent on the quality of the repair, but it will never be worth as much as a car that wasn't repaired. Figure, at best, I think you may get $8500 for it. Now, a clean one would change hands at the auction block for $11k and fetch fair retail of $14k.

Your residual is, obviously, saving you $1800; HOWEVER, that's for a marked car. At the same time, it is the car you know and took care of.

If it were my money, I'd be letting it go back to Honda at lease end and starting over. But not everyone would agree.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Thanks for the quick response.  The back looks brand new but as you said it is marked.
  • fw7fw7 Posts: 3
    Hello All,

First of all - wanted to say thank you to everyone here for providing insight. I have been a long term lurker and have found some awesome (money-saving) tips here.

My wife and I are looking to trade in our car for a new SUV (family planning) for future. Can you give me an idea on what to expect and how much more over would I be able to negotiate?

2009 honda civic EX coupe in bright Red
    53400 miles
    Options: sports wheels, nav, bluetooth, moonroof, satellite radio, premium audio etc.
    Tires: 50%
    Condition - Very good - just one small dent on the passenger side - easy fix

Thanks,

Faheem
    an EX with nav? I thought that was only possible on an EXL? Or is that an aftermarket system? Because that detracts from the value a bit (although probably not much on a Civic).

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,000
    It's not just that it is marked--it's that it is a relatively new marked car. If it were a 2005, few people would care about a minor fender bender, and a car 9 years old would have already fully depreciated anyway.

Thanks for the quick response.  The back looks brand new but as you said it is marked.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Can someone help me with my trade in value? I currently have a 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe and I want to trade it in for a 2014 Honda Accord Coupe.

Year: 2011
    Model: Altima Coupe
    Trim: 2.5, 4cyl (automatic)
    Mileage: 48k
    Tires: Just bought brand new ones in May (driven 7k so far with them)
    Color: Silver
    Interior: Black cloth
    Spoiler: No
    Package: Premium Passenger ventilation controls; Electric glass sunroof; Bose audio system (reads MP3 format) ; includes RDS , satellite radio; Seven Bose speakers; 4.3" color display; RearView Monitor rear camera parking distance sensors; Bluetooth; Voice activating system for phone; Driver and passenger and passenger door mirrors; LED side indicator lights; Interior dimensions: 37.2 in. front headroom; Requires: [K01] 2.5S Convenience Package; Excludes: [H92] Bluetooth (PIO)
    Amount Owed on car: $10,500

Has anyone used Carphoria to sell their used car? I got an internet quote from them for between $10,500-$11,500 but I have to bring it in to determine the final value. I gave them the vin# so they should know about the accidents. Has anyone sold a car with carphoria before? It's new and they basically broker your car out across the nation to get the highest bid. They charge $149 for their service.

I've also been in 3 accidents in the car (none my fault). The 1st one was about $9k of damages to the side of the car when a guy ran a red light a tboned me. The car was fixed at a Nissan dealership and has a lifetime guarantee on the work. The 2nd and 3rd were minor fender benders (got rear ended). The rear bumper has been replaced once. There was never any mechanical damage. It was all cosmetic.

What's a realistic trade in # to a dealership? I do get a tax break if I trade the car into the dealership I'm buying the Honda from.

I appreciate any info anyone can provide. Thanks!
  • fw7fw7 Posts: 3
    Hey QBFrozen,

Its all Honda's nav package. It is or was possible to get the tech package on EX.
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 248
    edited November 13
    I’m interested in what Qbrozen will say on this one. Three accidents, including a $9k “tbone”, I would not be interested in buying it myself, that’s for sure!

And by the way, April818: That “lifetime guarantee on the work”, that is usually good only as long as you own the car, in most cases that is not transferable to a new owner. I don’t know about your case specifically, but you might want to read the fine print.

This is the first I've heard of "Carphoria", so I can't offer any advice on that one. Personally, I would be leery, but ...
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,678
    I read something about them recently. I think in one of my car magazines. If they want to give you full trade value with 3 accidents,might want to grab it!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• Thanks for the replies. Not sure if this helps, but I pulled the carfax and this is what it said about the accidents:

1. Damage Report Accident reported
    Involving front or side impact
    with another motor vehicle
    Minor to moderate right front damage reported
    Minor to moderate right rear damage reported
    Airbags did not deploy

2. Damage Report Accident reported
    Very minor left rear damage reported

3. Accident reported
    Minor right rear damage reported
    Airbags did not deploy

'09 Civic - Ok, so the miles are pretty low and its teched up with a kiss on the side and getting low on rubber. I'd have to hit it at $7k.

Altima - well, this is an interesting one. Its really almost impossible to assess such a car from a description. But not only do you have the history to contend with, you have an absolute GLUT of these cars at auction. A clean one is going to get you $11k-$11500. So what do we do with one that had $9k in damage when clean ones are around every corner? I'm going to take a stab at $9k tops IF the bodywork is top notch.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,000
    RE: Altima -- this is why many people are now filing Diminished Value claims against the 3rd party who hit their car. Even after the car is fully repaired, the owner has not been "made whole" because he has suffered another loss in the diminished value on his car.

If you were selling this Altima as a private party, you would have to discount it, compared to an identical car on the market (and they are plentiful) that has no damage record---in essence, you are asking the question "how much less do I offer the car for, in order to convince a buyer to pass on the undamaged one, and buy mine?"

Naturally the dealer you trade the car to is going to offer less, because he's probably going to wholesale it right away, and it will end up in a "buy here, pay here" type of used car lot.

Gbrozen can check me on this, but I think that no franchised dealer is going to front-line a car with 3 accidents on its record.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Mr_Shiftright thanks for the reply. I had no idea there was such a thing as diminished value claims. A guy ran a red light 6 months after I got my car and tboned me and hit the back of my car which made me spin and hit a light pole causing damage to the front of my car. The guy's insurance paid for everything, but I wish I had know about that when it happened. I live in Texas and the statue of limitations is 2 years. I'm going to take my car to Texas Direct Auto and Carmax just to see what they offer. Looks like Carphoria might be the way to go though. Thanks everyone for the help!
  • vmotvmot Posts: 9
    Hello - I am looking to trade in 2006 Toyota Rav 4 with 63900 miles.
    - IT is limited /V6/4*4 with standard options including Sunroof, moonroof Plus a tow package.
    - I am most likely looking to trade in for a new camry 2015.
    - How much should I expect for my Rav4?
    - Many thanks for help and giving the idea.
    -
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,428
    For my old boss, whose wife wishes to get back into a Subaru...

2009 Honda Civic EX-L sedan. With Nav.
    red, 59k miles, great shape, no runs no hits no errors.
    That's all the information I have, but being a Honda, that's probably comprehensive.
    The car is in mid-Michigan.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    -Mathias
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 248
    I just checked the web site for Carphoria. I had never heard of them before they came up here in this discussion. Their offer certainly sounds like you have nothing to lose.

One thing I did notice: They talk about "nationwide", but the phone number listed is not an 800 number, it is a 281 area code, which is here in Houston.
    Addendum: The 2009 Civic mentioned above is not red as in Ferrari.
    It is a becoming dark red, the color known on Craigslist as "burgandy."
    On a car like this, bright red would probably be a harder sell.
    -m
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,045
    henryn said:

One thing I did notice: They talk about "nationwide", but the phone number listed is not an 800 number, it is a 281 area code, which is here in Houston.

From their "how it works video", it seems like you have to drop your car off at their facility in Houston. I venture that they have contacts with wholesalers and dealers nationwide and they contact them to bid on your car. If someone buys it, you drop it off at their location and you get paid less their $149 fee.

If you dig around a bit, it seems that they are also a car buying service.

Shifty - I'm sure you are right. They wouldn't want to risk the liability or bad word of mouth.

Rav4 - color combo and location?

Civic - low miles. Prob push 9500.

• vmotvmot Posts: 9
    qbrozen said:

Shifty - I'm sure you are right. They wouldn't want to risk the liability or bad word of mouth.

Rav4 - color combo and location?

Civic - low miles. Prob push 9500.

Hi Qbrozen - it is Black /Grey and location is Chicago, IL for Rav 4
    Thanks
  • @henryn I work in radio and I went on sales call to Carphoria (that's how I found out about them). I filled out an online form and put in my vin# etc, and they emailed me a quote of $10,500-$11,500. You have to bring the car into one of their locations for them to determine the final value. The guy who started the company has relationships with dealers across the nation. They basically broker your car out through their network for the highest bidder. When you take your car to Carphoria, they will examine the car and cut a check for you if you accept their offer and they will ship the car to the dealer that bought it. They charge $149 for their service. I don't know anyone that's used them yet. I am going to bring my car to them to see what their final offer is. I'll update you guys once I take it there.
  • noah27noah27 Posts: 12
    Does anyone think I can get out of my C250 without that much of a payment increase?
    April, sounds like a no Lose deal. You get a check on the spot if you like the offer. If not, walk.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Noah, you can do all kinds of things with payments. But burying a lot of negative equity is expensive, especially if you are buying, not leasing. Short answer, without putting up a lot of cash, expect a cheaper car and longer term.

vmot - hmmm... though to pin a value on the RAV4 with those low miles. They could hit you as low as $9k. I'd suggest you push for at least $10k if its real nice. Toyota dealer should be tickled to get their hands on it. Maybe bargain real hard for even $11k.

>>Civic - low miles. Prob push 9500.

Thanks a bunch. It's now on the bulletin board for $10,500.
    Someone's going to get a good deal...
  • thebeanthebean Texas!Posts: 77
    I'm going to either trade in or wholesale my 2002 Civic EX.  Could I please get a number so I know what to expect?  One owner, 91,000 miles, white, auto, had the timing belt & water pump replaced two years ago, no wrecks, Michelins with maybe 20K mi left, interior spotless, exterior waxed twice a year since new so the paint is good.  Thanks for the help.

Bean