Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• thebeanthebean Texas!Posts: 52
    Sorry - the car and I are in DFW Texas area.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,441
    Bean, not sure of the price, but I know that you could cause a feeding frenzy putting that on Craig's

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

stickguy said:
    Bean, not sure of the price, but I know that you could cause a feeding frenzy putting that on Craig's
    Yeah, I bet that's right but I'm not crazy about CL.  I'm going through some health issues and want to do this with the least amount of hassle, even if it costs me a bit of cash.  I'm concentrating on choosing which new car to get - that's enough to keep me occupied.  
    one option ( I have done it a couple of times) is finding someone that doesn't mind to do it for you. I was going to do this for my 85 YO father when my mom passed away (to get rid of her old corolla) but he found someone at church first that snapped it up.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

stickguy said:
    one option ( I have done it a couple of times) is finding someone that doesn't mind to do it for you. I was going to do this for my 85 YO father when my mom passed away (to get rid of her old corolla) but he found someone at church first that snapped it up.
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll see if I can get that worked out.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    thebean said:

I'm going to either trade in or wholesale my 2002 Civic EX.  Could I please get a number so I know what to expect?  One owner, 91,000 miles, white, auto, had the timing belt & water pump replaced two years ago, no wrecks, Michelins with maybe 20K mi left, interior spotless, exterior waxed twice a year since new so the paint is good.  Thanks for the help.

Bean

Ok, white in TX is good. Miles are good. BUT... you left out one very very important detail... how many door holes we got here?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Sorry about that - it's a four door.  Tan cloth interior.  
    Sadly, you are probably only looking at $2k as a trade.

You'd be missing out on big money if you don't sell it yourself. Or, hell, if you don't want to deal with the hassle, maybe you can find someone to consign it.

qbrozen said:
    Sadly, you are probably only looking at $2k as a trade. You'd be missing out on big money if you don't sell it yourself. Or, hell, if you don't want to deal with the hassle, maybe you can find someone to consign it.
    Wow, I'm surprised at that.  I thought $3K was in the neighborhood.  That's why I asked the experts.  Thanks for the info.  Maybe I can figure out a way to consign it without a lot of hassle.  I appreciate the help.
  • Could anyone provide insight on what kind of value to expect for a Grey 2004 Honda Civic LX Sedan with 61,000 miles in the Pennsylvania area?

No accidents, maintenance up to date, a couple small dings/scrapes on the fenders, but otherwise in great shape. Tires still have decent life as well.
  • noah27noah27 Posts: 12
    stickguy said:

Noah, you can do all kinds of things with payments. But burying a lot of negative equity is expensive, especially if you are buying, not leasing. Short answer, without putting up a lot of cash, expect a cheaper car and longer term.

I would be leasing the car, do you knw approx how much it would take the lease up a month being around 4-6k upside down?
    Rule of thumb about $28/month per $1,000 in cap cost. So $110-$160 on 36 month lease. Plus tax.

Basically all you are doing is spreading out the negative equity into monthly payments. It just does sound so bad that way.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,336
    stickguy said:

Rule of thumb about $28/month per $1,000 in cap cost. So $110-$160 on 36 month lease. Plus tax.

Basically all you are doing is spreading out the negative equity into monthly payments. It just does sound so bad that way.

I suppose it depends on the payment of what you're planning to lease.

If you want a 5-series, $130/mo is about 20-25% of the payment. If you are leasing a Civic, it's more like 80% of the payment.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You need a more expensive car usually, and something heavily subsidized, to bury that much neg equity and still get the deal done.

suave3747 said:

Could anyone provide insight on what kind of value to expect for a Grey 2004 Honda Civic LX Sedan with 61,000 miles in the Pennsylvania area?

No accidents, maintenance up to date, a couple small dings/scrapes on the fenders, but otherwise in great shape. Tires still have decent life as well.

manual or auto?

Sounds like a great first car for a HS kid.

• noah27noah27 Posts: 12
    stickguy said:

Sounds like a great first car for a HS kid.

Is Florida a salex tax credit state? Thankyou for all of your help!
    edited November 19
    That I do not know. But that certainly helps.

I asked in another thread, where a former sales manager from Florida participates. This is what he said, with the bottom line being "it depends, check with a dealer":

"I know that when you trade s car in to buy another car, the ACV (Actual Cash Value or Trade Value) of that car is not taxable - only the difference between the ACV and the gross selling price is taxable.

As far as using a trade's ACV as gross cap cost reduction, I believe you would not pay the sales tax on the trade's ACV. All you have done is reduced the net cost of the lease by the value of the trade. The same would be true if you used the ACV of the trade to acquire a "one pay" lease - prepaying the total cost of the lease.

The best way to determine the credit of the sales tax against the lease cap cost reduction is to check with the dealership. If there is s balance owed on the car, then the amount owed could not be used to reduce the cost of the lease which means it would be taxable."

• biggusmickusbiggusmickus Boston, MAPosts: 1
    Hi there, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me a steer in the value of my Jan 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.
    Mileage is 25k,
    Color silver,
    No accidents, damage or excessive inside or out
    The only notable options missing are the sunroof, rear bucket seats and power folding on the 3rd row, as that wasn't available on 2013 model.
    Otherwise it's got full Ford Sync, voice control, nav, blind spot, active cruise, collision warning, heated and cooled front seats, roof bars, wired trailer hitch etc.

Thanks again
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,068
    edited November 21
    ‌qbrozen

What numbers due you come up with on my 2013, R-spec sedan Genesis. 3500 miles. MSRP was 49k with every option included.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,336
    brian125 said:

‌qbrozen

What numbers due you come up with on my 2013, R-spec sedan Genesis. 3500 miles. MSRP was 49k with every option included.

Will you be selling or trading in NY or SC? That might make a difference.

Also - what color inside and out?

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi there, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me a steer in the value of my Jan 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.
    Mileage is 25k,
    Color silver,
    No accidents, damage or excessive inside or out
    The only notable options missing are the sunroof, rear bucket seats and power folding on the 3rd row, as that wasn't available on 2013 model.
    Otherwise it's got full Ford Sync, voice control, nav, blind spot, active cruise, collision warning, heated and cooled front seats, roof bars, wired trailer hitch etc.

Thanks again

In about the $32k-$33k range.

Michaell said:

brian125 said:

‌qbrozen

Michaell is right, the location will likely make a difference. A V8 RWD sedan is going to be tougher to sell in the snow belt in winter. Assuming it is a fairly standard color like black/white/silver, you'd be probably about $27-$27.5k down south. Up here? I'd hit it at $26k during our cold months.

That is some hefty depreciation.

I think we all pretty much expected that on a $50k hyundai.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
    The market is cruel that way. It has no feelings. It calculates supply and demand and coughs up a number....well the buyers cough up a number, having voted with their wallets.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,878
    qbrozen said:

Personally, I don't think its a "good deal." Its quite subjective in some regard. So, the car's straight up trade value is going to be very dependent on the quality of the repair, but it will never be worth as much as a car that wasn't repaired. Figure, at best, I think you may get $8500 for it. Now, a clean one would change hands at the auction block for $11k and fetch fair retail of $14k.

Your residual is, obviously, saving you $1800; HOWEVER, that's for a marked car. At the same time, it is the car you know and took care of.

If it were my money, I'd be letting it go back to Honda at lease end and starting over. But not everyone would agree.

There are some people who think that a car that has been involved in a collision and properly repaired is somehow, forever tainted and worth much less than a car that has never been damaged. Most modern body shops do a great job of restoring a car to like new condition.

You are suggesting that this repair has devalued the car by thousands of dollars. Perhaps if it were something exotic that could be the case but this car is a CIVIC!

It is a very low mileage, very desirable car and if the person leasing it has taken care of it it would be a great deal if bought it it's residual.

On the other hand, the lessor could start fresh with a new one and hope nobody runs into it too.

I learned that an ACCIDENT REPORTED on a Car Fax will scare away some shoppers but there are many others who would look the car over carefully and not be bothered by that.

Not all accidents show up on Car Fax and a damaged rear view mirror can show up as an ACCIDENT REPORTED!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,068
    edited November 21
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

brian125 said:

‌qbrozen

Michaell is right, the location will likely make a difference. A V8 RWD sedan is going to be tougher to sell in the snow belt in winter. Assuming it is a fairly standard color like black/white/silver, you'd be probably about $27-$27.5k down south. Up here? I'd hit it at $26k during our cold months.
    Thanks For the numbers. Seem very low. Are these Auction prices? I paid 38k for Vehicle in Nov, 2013. Dealer discounted this vehicle 11k off the sticker by buying it at the end of the year. Resale is not good on these cars for sure. New that going in. That's why I waited till the end of the year to buy this one.

I was not sure if I had a good deal in the works but after the numbers you guys have posted I believe this deal on the table is a good one.

I have a standing offer from Ray Catena Audi in NJ, for 32k. Not sure if I want to trade/ sell my R-Spec Genesis yet............. Maybe I should rethink this deal. I'm also looking to upgrade my 2012, X-5 next year so finding the best deals at the right time will minimize some loss .

My car is garaged in SC. It probably would be best to sell it down south.

Thanks again.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

so you have a cash offer from a dealer for more $3k more than any other has sold for at dealer auction? If you want out of the car, I would JUMP at that!