Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    In Connecticut, car of that age needs to be state inspected.
    A cracked windshield or bald tires are not acceptable.
    This is assuming the buyer plans to legally register it.
  • czar4czar4 Posts: 20
    Year/Make/Model: 2012 Toyota Prius V Five
    Body Style: wagon
    Engine: hybrid
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 12,000
    Color: very good - minor wear assocaited with a car of 12k miles; well kept
    Major Options: navigation, alloys, keyless entry/start/stop, leatherette - this is a base Five (highest model)
    Condition:
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc. - overall great - there are some light scrathces on hood
    Tires - prob 20% worn
    Brakes - excellent
    Maintenance - by the book
    Other: Indicate prior damage/insurance claims, repaints, etc. - someone scraped rear plastic bumper, which was repaired professionally - no metal work was done, just painted the plastic on the bumper.

Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Already?

Need something bigger, or just bored with it?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    This is the regular Prius or that new, bigger, 5 door Prius?

Why so soon?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

GB,
    Looking for trade in value on 2009 Ford Escape Limited.
    Black/Black
    V6 AWD
    47k miles
    Moonroof
    Nav/Sync
    Heated Leather seats
    17" Factory (fake) Chrome rims.
    Running boards
    All service up to date.
    Very clean with a few scratches and a ding in the liftgate.
    Tires 50%, will need front brakes in next 10k or so.
    Actually, might sell to one of the kids.
    Will give them a good deal but not give them the car.
    TIA
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    just bored with it?

You have to ask?
    :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    Thanks for the excellent feedback, everyone. Funny how a beater can generate so much discussion.

It would be a private party sale as she felt insulted by what the dealer offered her in trade. I don't know the amount (She's in Indiana; I'm in Illinois) but I'm sure it was not more than $500 and probably less. When she commented about it I did point out that no dealer was going to hang on to a high mileage car, especially with a stick, and that it would be sent straight to auction for disposal.

I will make the suggestions on doing the repairs to make it more salable. I'm surprised she hasn't been ticketed for the windshield; I was when I lived in Indiana back in the '80s. (She may only be carrying liability so no insurance coverage to get the windshield repaired)

She may also just give it to her daughter who could use a generally reliable if aging car for a while.

And she wants a stick for her next car as well. She's been driving manuals since the early 80s.
    Made a mistake buying it thinking we could fit three car seats across the back. You can, painfully! We never thought to strap them in - just set them across the back to see of they fit when it was on the dealer's floor. In the end, we ended up getting an MDX, which is great. At te same time, I took a job and we moved within biking distance to work. Just don't need this any more. looking to replace it with a MINI.
    It's the wagon.
    Haha. Let's see, compared to some of the cars I had pre-kids: 318, 944S, 912, GTI, Land Cruiser (FJ), bunch of TDI's, Mustang GT, CJ7, yeah, I would say bored. Only thing in my garage that came close to the Prius level of driving excitement is the VW rabbit I converted to run on veggie oil.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,409
    >> Made a mistake buying it thinking we could fit three car seats across the back..[..]
    >> [..] looking to replace it with a MINI.

One free CCBA membershipt for you.
    Seriously, join us on "Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous", we're Not That Kind Of A Support Group (tm). You'll fit right in.

Cheers
    -Mathias
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    Our automotive tastes intersect at a few pints. I've had several BMWs as well as a Wrangler TJ- and I would have a GTI in my driveway today if any of the local VW dealers would hire service techs with opposable thumbs.
    And yes, join us at CCBA- you'll fit right in!

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    I have just about no comps to go on.

A level II went for $24,800 with 1800 miles.
    A level III with 8k fetched $23k.
    And a level III with 2800 miles got $26k.

I would hope any dealer would keep this for sale off their own lot. Hope for $22k, I guess.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    About $16k on a trade.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    Please join CCBA! You'll love it! Prius to MDX. 50 mpg to 15 mpg.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Don't forget MDX requires premium too!! Although we're doing really well with our '12 MDX. Just picked it up a couple weeks ago and averaging 19mpg in day-to-day and got 21.5mpg on all highway trip this weekend. The 2011 FWD Sienna manivan it replaced was averaging 20.5 and 23 on long trips.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    a few pints

Freudian slip? :D
    Thanks, the 'books' had between 15.5 and 17.
    I don't think a Prius V is good for 50 mpg. Low 40's, yes.