Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• veersveers Posts: 79
    Cost $19,000 new, and that was after some pretty tough negotiating. (VSC and traction control upped the price).If you figure I'm only getting $8,000 for a trade, that makes it $11,000 depreciation over 5 years, or $2200 a year, 42% of value after only 42,0000 miles, seems pretty meh. I could probably swing a lease for around that, maybe a bit more. I would think over a 5 year horizon it should be cheaper to own than to lease, even factoring in giving away some money on the trade. Are you basing the $8k figure on auction data, or on gut feeling? Do you think if I shop it around to 20 dealers or so $9.5k is possible assuming they aren't getting much margin on the new car deal, or would that be a big stretch?
  • If your friend is offering $10,750, And if that is a firm offer, that definitely changes your depreciation, as opposed to using $8,000.
    True, but I lucked out because I have a friend who is looking. Otherwise it would be craigslist, screening calls, test drives, scammers, weird people, etc... I would strongly prefer to avoid that and to instead trade it in. My operating assumption has always been that it is cheaper to lease than to buy and hold for 3 years, but if you will buy and hold for 5 years then you are better off buying. With $11k straight depreciation, and greater service charges (30k maintenance etc...), that may no longer be true, and would instead point to leasing as a better option even over a 5 year horizon. Of course blue book says dealers should be offering me $10,500 and retailing it for $13,000 or so, which would again make buying the better option. Too bad KBB won't buy cars from you at the suggested trade in price!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    Don't forget to add tires. Not too many OEM tires would last to still be good at the end of a 5 year lease.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    That's based on auction values.

I'm surprised it cost that much. Invoice was a tad over $17k and retail $20k, according to MSN. No idea what those options added, though.

$2200 a year ain't bad at all, in my opinion. Hell, if you can find a $183/mo zero down lease that you like, you should definitely get it.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

edited November 2013
    VSC is $650 MSRP, $520 invoice, and I got the mat set $230 MSRP $150 invoice. Aol autos give the invoice price with options at $19,310, and MSRP at $21,478. I definitely remember invoice being north of $19k because I worked like a dog to get under it.

Auction data don't lie though, if this car can be had at auctions for $8k can't demand that the dealers give me $10k. AutoTrader offered me $9k sight unseen and I was offended, lol, I hope to see what Carmax will give, hopefully my new accord will retain value better!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Found this at a nearby Ford store. 1820 miles when I drove it yesterday and I liked it...a lot!!! 1st owner brought it back for the next level up and vehicle is super clean. Brought it home and it fit in the garage with some room to spare...taller than I thought though. They want $23992 for it plus their $699 dealer fee. Got them down to $7500 for my Civic and $18k cash otd...but I really want to pay my car plus $17400 otd which is what I plan to do in the morning but doubt they will take it. They are having their Black Friday sale tomorrow, Autonation, and are giving away a tablet with the first 2500 vehicles sold. So I plan to go in with my $17400 plus my car offer and see what they will do. If they say yes, we got a deal. Told my guy that if the sale does go through, the steelies are going back on and the amp is coming out...to be put into the Escape. He was cool with it as he said they like their vehicles with only factory accessories. The wife ain't happy but she'll only be happy if I keep the Civic.
    It's the SE model with power driver seat, something I would love, and the back up camera. Prefer the black cloth but it has the stone, something I could live with. They want about $1100 for leather to be put in which I am seriously considering right now as I can pick the color. We will see. I know this is a 180 degree change from wanting that BMW drop top, which is still on the lot...both of them! Bet I could get that black one for a lower price right now to!!!
    So what does the car guru think here...is this doable and is their asking price a good deal?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

The 1.6 ecoboost engines have had a lot of problems, recalls for internal and external issues.
    The 2.0 and 2.5 are more proven at this point.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,002
    You are all over the map... Why have you cooled off on the Verano?
    edited November 2013
    Not quite sure to tell ya the truth. Love the Verano but love a small ute where I can just slide in and out. My spinal issues have gotten worse lately, I feel really bad all the time now, and am tired of falling into the Civic and pulling myself out of it. I want to be able to slide in and out now as it is painful in the Civic. I've just gotten to that point that I am finally ready to do this and need to for my health and sanity. Have always liked the new Escape but also tried a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport they had but it made terrible noises from underneath. The Mitsu is a handsome rig also and they are right across the street next to the Hyundai and Subaru store. Like Subaru also...so yes, am all over the map here but I want to make the right choice and I need to try many vehicles to find the right one. I don't do this sort of thing that often and I just want to be sure, need to be sure because I don't want to hear the "I told you so" from the other half. So I have to be sure of what I like...and want. Not even sure if the Verano will fit on my side of the garage as it's even longer than the Escape. Right now, my heart is in the Escape, it's easy to drive, see out of...it's just an easy vehicle and I can see myself in one for the forseeable future. I feel like I did when I test drove and bought the Civic...I knew right away that I wanted the Civic the moment I drove it around the corner...some things we just know. And I have this same feeling about BOTH the Verano and Escape...I can see myself in either of them for the next many many years.
    And that's where we're at...I am finally ready to write the check on something new. And getting a '14 model just feels right and personally, I've thought this decision to death already...I am at the point of "over thinking" and just want it done already. I just want it done so I can concentrate on my new job and work cause if I do do this, I will have to work many hours to build back up my accounts to where I am comfortable. I just want this over already!

The Tired Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    I hope someone reads this soon as I want to make a deal asap. (unless you think incentives will get better after Dec 2)

location: Sicklerville, NJ 08081, 15 miles south of Philadelphia
    2006 Nissan Murano
    SUV
    3.5, 6 cyl, auto, CVT
    AWD
    Mileage, 48020 (original)
    options...Leather, moon roof, Bose sound,heated and power front driver and pass, memory seat, pedals, alloys. Almost everything but Nav and towing

Interior: extremely clean

tires and brakes, replaced 7500 miles ago
    seat frame/rail replaced this summer (known defect!)

exterior, corner of passenger side rear bumper was repainted very amateurishly, but no dent. Bumper would need repainting but no repairing. Rest of exterior is very good. No other repaired damage or insurance claims.

How much can I expect them to ding me for the bumper paint? It would cost me approx $3-500 to have it done, obviously cost to dealer is lower

title: original owner, purchased when lease expired. Planning to purchase a 2013-14 Murano very soon.
    It has 1830 miles on it and they are asking $24992. Going in the morning for a 2nd round of negotiations and not sure if this is a good price. It has a power drivers seat so it has a certain package. Very clean vehicle, hey it's really brand new, so not sure this price is a good one. Have them up to $7500 on my '06 Honda Civic LX which is the highest from any dealer. think they want to make a deal but they want $17.2 plus tt&l with my vehicle which I think is about $500.00 too high. They have a $699 dealer fee, which most Florida dealers do.
    So, is their price fair and would be $16.8k plus tt&l from me cash plus my car be fair for both sides? I want "fair" for us all so please let me know. Sorry there's not much time here, but with their Black Friday sale, it might be gone before I get there tomorrow but I need to know if my price thoughts are in the ball park here! Thanks again Q!

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    The 1.6 ecoboost engines have had a lot of problems, recalls for internal and external issues.

So I should temper my enthusiasm for the Fiesta ST?
    (My wife desperately hopes so- she wants me to land on a 500 Abarth)

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    So I should temper my enthusiasm for the Fiesta ST?

IMO, yes, but then I'm a Ford boycotter from way back. I also could not believe how really really bad the seat was in a non turbo '13 Fiesta I sat in last summer. The only subC car seat that is worse is the Versa.

Sure..the seats in the turbo are bound to better, but at the end of the day, it's still a Ford.

I have a friend who has a non turbo 500. Aside from a known instrument light reflash issue, (fixed immediately) it's been without fault for 18 months. He also drives his beloved VW TDI when they salt the roads.

I know you are looking for something entirely different, but the L sure has some great ideas. I think they will do well with it also, although does quickly indicate the price of the turbo as std equipment, when you start to option it up even just a little off base.

I'd love to thrash an Abarth on a closed circuit for a couple hours...I'll bet it'd be almost as much fun as two wheels :wink:
    Ok, ok...so it's gonna be hard pressed to compete with 2 wheeled adrenaline...but still tons of fun nonetheless.
    I got the price wrong...they are asking $23992 after the $1k they are taking off right from the start. At $24992, I know it's not a good deal but that extra $1k helps me feel that much better. We will see in the a m as it stands now!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    do you know what the original MSRP on that was?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

$26 and change I think but am not sure. As of right now, I've put the search on temp hold as now, I am just not sure and the price they want, is more than I want to pay right now. So I will hold off!!!

The Sandman

I don't know how different the 1.6 in the Fiesta is from the one in the Escape.
    This morning, I did see a Festa ST at the dealer where I was getting the 09 Escape serviced.
    My mom has a Fiesta and it's amazingly good on the highway, around town not as much.
    Fiesta is a 'B' sized car, not a 'C'.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I like the size of the Fiesta- it is nimble or "wieldy" as the Brits put it. And I live the optional heated Recaros; some drivers find the bolstering to be too aggressive but for a track geek like me they are perfect. As I mentioned in another topic, my main concerns are long-term reliability and the quality of service(or rather the lack thereof) provided by the Ford dealers in my area.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    well, i took the weekend off.
    If anyone still wants numbers, please repost. It seems, at least in sandman's case, it is no longer needed.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country