Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• vgxvgx FloridaPosts: 37
    edited January 24
    Didn't take long to track it down and I was able to speak with the service department that worked on it. Turns out it was just a bad odor and they couldn't fix it by replacing hoses or cleaning it so they ended up taking it back after a few failed tries. He said it was like a bad coolant smell, so the leak makes more sense. If it's still around next week I may look at it closer and let it run for a bit to see if the smell comes back.

Thanks again to both of you for your feedback. Quick follow up, though. What would my SRT be worth on trade? (Still looking for a low mileage truck sometime this spring)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited January 24

@vgx My experience with these reports is that they can be missing things or depending on the way things are written up can minimize reporting. I had a car that had the IP replaced with one that had guessimated mileage. It was listed as 'checked'. Same car, a bunch of the left front suspension was replaced due to damage, but I paid out of my pocket. Never showed up on the report.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404

post the VIN here and maybe someone can take a look for you

Sure thing. It is 1C6RR6LG6DS704567.

Pretty much what you were told on this truck. Interesting though that it was bought back only 2 months after purchase and has yet to re-sell. I'm not sure this truck is such a risk otherwise, if the odor has been eliminated--the reports clearly state that an "odor" was the problem, not an accident. Lesson learned? If you need to bail out of your loan, stick a dead squirrel under the back seats. (just kidding).

Ha! Well that's a little more reassuring, though I'm still not sold on the truck (and let's be honest, there is no shortage of trucks out there).

That being said. If I decide this truck is worth the risk after driving it and getting the wife's opinion, what should I be targeting for price? 30% off original sticker? (as stickguy suggested)

Also, KBB lists my SRT around $36k currently. Is that a fair price to expect, or should I be aiming higher?

Really, really appreciate everyone's feedback! :)

I can only present you with the golden rule "Whatever got you into a car cheaply when you bought it, will come back to haunt you when you sell it".

Sage advice. Thanks.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,148

@vgx said: Ha! Well that's a little more reassuring, though I'm still not sold on the truck (and let's be honest, there is no shortage of trucks out there).

That being said. If I decide this truck is worth the risk after driving it and getting the wife's opinion, what should I be targeting for price? 30% off original sticker? (as stickguy suggested)

Also, KBB lists my SRT around $36k currently. Is that a fair price to expect, or should I be aiming higher?

Really, really appreciate everyone's feedback! :)

$36k isn't totally unreasonable, although they would probably be more comfortable in that $34-35k zip code.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• oddie14oddie14 Posts: 2
    edited February 4

What is fair trade-in value for a white 2011 Odyssey EX-L RES with 31k miles, clean condition in Orange County, California?

$21k-$22k.

• newdavidqnewdavidq Posts: 146

Have a 2007 white Toyota 4rinner, V6, 4WD, SR5, 101k miles, all dealer service up to date, one owner, very good condition, recent brakes and tires. Looking to trade in for another similar 4Runner, only with a V8 as I am looking at trailer towing. What kind of a deal could I expect to make ? Thanks in advance !
    Regards, DQ

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108

Hi DQ, Don't think that you'll just pay for the difference in engine price. A dealer will take yours in at wholesale trade in value, and sells theirs at retail, so you'd be looking at several thousand dollars in price difference.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Thanks, boomchek; I know I would be trading at wholesale and buying at retail from a dealer. If I recall, the upcharge from v6 to v8 at original MSRP was about $1200. Wondering if there was a premium for the v8 now. As a starting point would like to know approx trade in value for my 07

edited February 10

really tough to pin this down as I'm dealing with a small sampling. I think you could expect about $11k on yours and maybe pay around $15k for the exact same with a v8.

I have a question: how much towing difference is there between the two? And how heavy of a trailer are you looking to tow?

I went and answered some of my own questions. 7k lbs with v8 and 5k lbs with v6. However, it is only about 20 hp and 40 lb-ft difference between the 2 engines. I'm willing to bet the real difference is in the rear suspension, as that minor power difference is not going to get you near 40% more towing capacity. Hell, you could put an intake and exhaust on the V6 and come pretty darned close to the v8 power levels.

My advice is to beef up the rear suspension for a few hundred bucks and leave well enough alone.

Good advice q, truck has been problem free for 100k and I know how it has been maintained. Will explore the upgrades. Was looking at small travel trailers and while the tow rating is 5k I wouldn't want to go right up to the limit. Thanks again. Regards, DQ

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614

@newdavidq said: Good advice q, truck has been problem free for 100k and I know how it has been maintained. Will explore the upgrades. Was looking at small travel trailers and while the tow rating is 5k I wouldn't want to go right up to the limit. Thanks again. Regards, DQ

The V8 might include a towing package, larger radiator, cooler for the transmission, limited slip rear end. From some quick research, I couldn't find anything about the difference between the 2.

I did some reading and there is mention of a trans cooler and different suspension, as well as a weight-distributing hitch IF you got the factory tow package. The first two are fairly easy to replicate and most likely for far less money than trading cars. I have no idea what the tow package means in the real world.

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108

Instead of trading I'd just spend some money beefing up your current 4Runner, especially if you had it for a while, and are familiar with it, and isn't causing you trouble. Also evaluate how often you need that extra heavy towing. Maybe it's just cheaper to rent a full size SUV for that occasion if it's only a few times per year.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

An extra trans cooler is an excellent idea.