Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quintessential Mid 90's Loser Cars

14567810»

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    I remember several guys doing that to a Volkswagen. In this case they popped it between two pillars in front of the school.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    The GEO METRO hatchback was the ultimate 90's loser-mobile. 3 cylinder (lack of) power, a true death trap, and styling that made minivans look cool. I can totally see Napolean Dynamite (Do the chickens have large talons?) driving a GEO METRO Hatchback.

As a sophmore in college (fall 1995 - spring 1996), the Residence Director (RD) (grad student in "charge" of 4 dorm buildings) of our dorm was a guy named Brian Klocke (Pronounced Clucke) drove a GEO METRO hatchback. The entire back of the car was covered in bumper stickers such as: VEGETARIANS ARE SPROUTING UP ALL OVER THE PLACE. Clukie had an assigned parking space next to a Handicapped space. We would come home late at night (on a Friday or Saturday) & 4 of us (I've seen 2 guys do it) would literally drag the GEO from his spot into the Handicapped space. The next morning before we went to breakfast, one of us would call Campus Safety to tell them his wheelchair bound uncle came to visit & needs to use the Handicapped spot, but there is another car without a Handicapped sticker or plates parked in the space. Campus Safety would come within minutes to tow the car away :P

Now the best part about this is, that one day all of us are walking back from the dining hall and Cluckie stopped us. He asked us if we saw anything suspicious happening to his car in the parking lot (because some of our rooms faced the parking lot). With a straight face, I said to him, "what, someone's messing with your car?" He said "no, someone's been moving my car into the handicapped space. It keeps getting towed away" My friend Munch said "you mean someone took your keys and moved your car?" Cluckie said "no, it is a pretty light car & if you got like 10 or 12 guys, you could pick it up and move it."

LOSER!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Car and Driver from October 1994. "In traffic ( Rodney Dangerfield impression) the Metro don't get no respect. Other drivers give it the once-over and make it their mission to relegate it to the back of the pack. But the final insult is the rudeness shown toward Metro drivers by fellow road users." C&D predicted the winner (loser?) of this forum 15 years ago. Still interesting cars though.
    Human nature being what it is, in order to salvage any scrap of dignity, the drivers of small, slow cars would start feeding off each other. Our cars were so slow ( 0-60 in the 12 to 15 second range) that other drivers were probably unaware that a race was even happening.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994

The whitewalls and luggage rack just make this car, don't they?
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,073
    ...even have a chance at being a winner or loser?

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Is that the little Daihatsu Charade? It had Toyota reliability in a Metro-size package, and without the Toyota name it sold for less when new. And with a name like Charade, well, how was it ever supposed to get respect??!! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    Well, telling your girlfriend some girl you just met that you drive a Daihatsu Charade is probably a great way to say "goodbye" without actually having to say the words.

They were actually pretty good little cars, but too expensive for the market. But yeah, loser material.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    I imagine Daihatsu Charades depreciated quickly, or the reasons mentioned, making them great transportation values. Of course, this assumes you didn't need to impress anyone. Unfortunately, just as what you wear makes an impression, so does what you drive.
    They would've been great used cars, but the dealer network (and the US parts supply) dried up after about three or four years, making them orphans.
  • 1991 Chevy Suburban - although the newer models have modern and more accpeted looks, and these oldies may be good off road, great workhorses, and have a small following, to most people they conjure up images of gun toting trailer park living rednecks. Pull up in downtown in one of these babies with peeled paint and rusty fenders, and get disowned by your friends instantly.

well..............you got this one wrong. i guess 6 outta 7 ain't bad.
  • mariojcgmariojcg Posts: 1
    edited March 7
    Hi there, i saw your Geo Metro convertible picture here on this site i was curious to know if there is still, the luggage rack which is on your car for sale anywhere?

I want to get one, thanks for replying.
    [Email removed]

:shades:
    I have no idea--it's not my car.
14567810»