Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Transmission Fix

2»

Comments

• So I called two dealers today (the one I bought my vehicle from and another which is close by) gave them my VIN, and both claimed there are no service bulletins or calibration updates for my vehicle which has a build date of Sept. 9, 2009. I offered the TSB # to both (09271A) and both pretty much refused to look it up. They both had that sort of mild annoyance in their voices like who does this guy think he is telling me what TSB applies to his car? What gives? Is it possible I have the latests cals and these guys are being truthful, or do they just not know what they are talking about? And why do all these guys seem like they don't want the work -- I mean, they are ultimately going to get paid for the warranty work by GM, right?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    They are trying to get rid of you. If your build date was Sept. 9th, you have the old tranny cal. I am not sure if it was a bulletin or not since I got mine from the engineer directly. And I got it literally the day after it was approved (something like Sept. 22).

Basically you just need to tell them you want them to hook up your vehicle to see if there are any updated cals. On this forum in one of the tranny cal threads (maybe this thread, I don't remember) there is a list of updated ECM and TCM cals (for 4 cyl FWD). Print these out and don't tell them you have it. But if you take it in and they say there aren't any updated, tell them you want a print out of what cals you do have. If they are lying, call them out on it. Especially if it is the dealer you bought the vehicle from, tell them you will give them a bad post-purchase consumer survey if they don't take care of you and respect your wishes in a thoughtful and courteous manner. Those surveys are a big deal to them and how they as a dealer are evaluated by GM. And yes, dealers do get paid by GM for warranty work regardless of if you bought the vehicle there or not.
  • I've had the exact same trouble in Kansas City! Once I have time to go and sit at the dealer I will have them hook up my 2LT, 4cyl 2010. Just to make things more interesting, my build date was Sept 21st! Pretty much as close as you can get to the official date! :confuse:
  • I'm waiting for my Nox (FWD LT) to come in. I was wondering, What's the going price for an extended warranty for the major guard and the value guard?
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    It's been 3+ months, but if I recall Major Guard was like $2Gs.

A little story - I had my Trailblazer 6 years. When I bought it, the top warranty which extended bumper to bumper to 5 years was $1600 and I declined. Over the 5 I never needed it. At 5 years, 3 months the fan clutch went to the tune of $900.

From my experience, after market warranties cost less but you have the hassle of haggling over who does the work and how much they will fund of the repair.

About 15 years ago, I bought an extended warranty for a 2 years old Pontiac 6000 wagon because the price was an unbelievable $250 with $200 deductible for 5 years. Blew a head gasket on it, had it towed to the dealer and they picked up the full cost of their share for an engine replacement with no haggling.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    Our first new vehicle was the Nox we bought a few months ago, and we didn't get the extended warranty. If you do want the extended warranty, one thing I read in an article (might have been on Edmunds even) is that dealers make about a 50% profit on them. So if they sell you one for $2000, they are making $1000 on that deal. So the article said you should be able talk them down quite a bit.
2»
This discussion has been closed.