Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    If you get a loaded LS 430 (Ultra), it stickers for around $70,000. A comparably equipped S430 is around $90,000 - $95,000.

That may be the $25,000 referred to earlier.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    When I was pricing - both cars had options that the other didn't. Lexus had its fridge and massagers and I forget what the S had but it of course offered things Lexus didn't have. But for the most part a loaded S-430 very comparable to the ultra was in the 78-80k range. A pretty loaded S-500 was mid 80's and then you got into the 90's with the S-500 sport and amg models. I'm not sure if there is a S-430 amg or whether it even would sell because most people would be in an s-500 at that point. The dealer told me the S-430 is usually sold pretty spartan because once you add a few things you are in the S-500 price league which is better equipped and powered to begin with.

Have you posted any sales data recently?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well there is a test that has always worked for me. It's going to sound wierd but here goes. If I'm riding in the right most lane of a 3-lane expressway and I see a car in the left most lane travelling about 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths in front of me it gives me just the right "profile" to judge the styling of the car. It's a rolling 3/4 view, the three quarter view of a car being the best angle to look at in my opinion. Almost always if a car doesn't pass this test it's been an ugly car to me. I hope I explained it right, I guess I could show better than tell. But try it (without causing an accident) sometime. The 7 I looked at had the 18 inch wheels, good point I"m sure the 19's would look better. I just noticed in your post you have one?(!) Do you have some pics you could post? What color/options did you get? Are you an idrive expert yet?

M
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Not to get off topic here on the 7 board, but here's a comparison of an LS 430 Ultra vs S430:

LS Ultra -- Right around $70,000
    S430 comparably equipped -- $89,860:

72,495 -- base car w/dest charge
    2,000 -- ventilated front seats
    1,155 -- xenon lights w/washers
    820 -- wood wheel and shift knob
    1,825 -- power rear seats
    1,880 -- rear AC controls
    140 -- NAV CDs for entire country
    1,015 -- Parktronic
    820 -- upgraded leather
    1,565 -- ventilated rear seats
    2,875 -- Distronic speed control
    2,960 -- active suspension
    310 -- rear side window shades

That's a nearly $20,000 difference. By the way, the S500 starts at $80,845.

No new sales numbers, but I'll see what I can find.
  • millerro3millerro3 Posts: 136
    I think you misunderstood, I wish I had a 7 series!!

What I went to look at was our dealership demo car. We have to have it available for test drives and can not sell it for a month or so. Did the dealer you went to have one for test drives, or just the one on the showroom floor?
    You gotta drive one of these, really impressive.

I can appreciate your test, I like to admire cars from that angle as well, and it's funny because I like to see the car rolling as well, maybe something about seeing it in action? Who knows

Rob
    Oh I see... Nope they wouldn't allow test drives yet, they only have 2 so far. Both officially belong to BMW, not the dealer.

lenscap.

The S430 doesn't need ABC to compete with the LS430. Airmatic will suffice.

M
    I see Edmunds likes the new 7. I guess Black will be the body color of choice, doesn't look as bad in Black.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The review merc1 mentions can be accessed from the Helpful Links box on the left sidebar.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    After having examined more pictures of the 7 in various publications, I am beginning to warm to some aspects of the car I had previously doubted. First, the interior has really grown on me. Prior 7s have been sterile and uninviting, and that look and the lack of driver leg room were principally responsible for me looking elsewhere last year when I bought. (Why in the world, in a car with such a HUGE back seat (iL), they can't let the front seat go back several more inches is just beyond me). Don't know if they have fixed the latter, but I really like the look if the cockpit. Second, the exterior, from the rear doors forward has grown on me. It still looks like a Passat retaining water, but I no longer find it as odd as I once did.

However, the trunk still looks horrible. As the new "Spin Around" article on Edmunds says, it was an afterthought by BMW to fix the aerodynamic problems posed by the taller canopy, and it looks like it. Just too much going on for my taste.

Finally, those (like Edmunds) who defend the iDrive are missing the point, in my view. They say that anyone who can operate Word can operate iDrive; maybe so, but I operate Word (complete with its infuriating crashes, non-intuitive commands and spurious bugs) every day AT MY DESK, not going 75 down the highway. As most engineers will tell you that when you ask a device to do two functions rather than one, it likely won't accomplish either as well as a device dedicated to one alone. Have you looked at the palmtop/cell phone combos? This device combines all of the electronic and electro-mechanical functions in to a single device that offers no tactile feedback, the way buttons and knobs on the dash can. The fact that this combination can be made to work at all may be a testament to the talents of BMW's techies, but it does not mean that functionality has been gained; indeed, functionality has been degraded significantly. I suppose for those that buy a car for the geewiz factor this will be attractive, but the goal, IMHO, should be to make the most FUNCTIONAL devices, not the most "impressive."

In sum, I react to the car the way I would to an intriguing concept car; some great ideas and some real flash, but clearly not ready for the market. We will see if I am right or completely off base.
    I buy that. Though idrive whether a hit or not *probably* still won't be the wave of the future. I would imagine it's very expensive also.

M
  • "I'm not sure if there is a S-430 amg or whether it even would sell because most people would be in an s-500 at that point."

-------------------

The only S-class AMG car is the $100,165 S55 AMG: 355HP and 391 FT/LB of torque from a 5.5L V-8 (actually a 5,439cc stroked version of the 5.0L engine in the S500); 0 - 60 MPH in 5.7 seconds.

There has not been an AMG car built off the 4.3L V-8 since the '98 - '99 C43 AMG (about 17 model year '00 models were also made for the US before production ended -- a total of 1,500 C43s sent to North America).

For info on the S55 AMG see: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=S55

• jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    I thought I'd too update my opinion on the 745i. I saw it in Vancouver BC during a preview but didn't get to play with or drive the car. I did today at a local dealer (demo model)...First off the ride is incredible. Much better than an S-class. The interior is still a bit strange to me compared to previous BMW's but the materials and fit and finish are way beyond the S, although I think Mercedes will address that in this falls complete interior redesign. I also liked the seats. They are real comfortable. The idrive is a different story. Much easier to use than I thought but way to many options and I think most people will only use it for the radio and HVAC anyways, voice control for everything though was fun to watch the sales guy show me....One other thing I must mention again is the audio system. Incredible, puts Bose to shame. I would just love to sit in the thing and listen to music. The car does look way better in a dark color too as someone else mentioned. The dealer had white and a metalic black demos and it looks much better in the dark. Oh, one more thing, the high gloss wood looks much better than the matte to me. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. One thing as these cars become rolling computer networks (read very expensive repairs) I would never keep a 745i or S-class or even the new E-class past the warranty period. You would only be asking for thousand$$$ in repair costs.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    I know I saw several S-500amg's and recently an S-600amg on the road in the current body style. I was particularly surprised that the S-600 was available as an amg model.
  • You can also get the S430 with the same sport package. Its just the body kit and the AMG wheels. The only TRUE AMG S-class is the S55.

BTW, the new 745i is gorgeous!
    I have got to find a way to get my hands on a 7 for a real test drive. The car's only real problem seems to be the styling. I'm starting to think idrive may not be as complicated as some make it out to be.

M
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    Tried it, it really isn't such a big deal, much more user friendly than touch screen at least.
    Just out of curiousity, how many 7's have been sold at your dealership?

M
  • we have sold quite a few, the problem comes when it's time for people to bite the bullet and come to take delivery, we've only had one so far.

Bear in mind though, that we are no where near being the biggest dealership in the area, others could have delivered more.
  • This is interesting. The 7-series already outsold Mercedes and Lexus for January.

BMW 7-Series: 1,513
    Lexus LS430: 1,490
    Mercedes S-Class: 1,256
  • sean2gsean2g Posts: 17
    Yestersay, Saturday, we were cruising in downtown Atlanta and a silver car flew by us. Imediately I knew what is was. I was so impressed by that glance at it compared to the pictures that I headed straight to the dealers. I didn't drive it, but the dealer had 3 I think. There was a dark black with the 19's and tinted windows, BEAUTIFUL. The 19 inch design is also beautiful, those would be the only option for wheels on that beauty. That is all I could say. I doesnt look as humongus as it does in the pictures. It was just beautiful. We were thinking of purchasing the facelift S500 in a year or two, but I think that's not happening. Go check out the car all I can say is HOT!

What do yall think BMW's tuning companies will do to this car??? Keep your eyes open cause it is going to be something.

jstyle- the 7 you were in, which sound system did it have, the upgraded or the standard system? thanks