Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    These are jsut the art work of someone with a hobby
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I spent the last 3 days driving the new 7-series. While I'll join the chorus of people that claim the design of the rear end is too disjointed to ever truly grow, it is a car that endears itself very quickly with (1) the best interior in its class (and I have driven Jaguars for some years now...), and (2) superb feel while driving.

It boggles my mind that all the magazines write about is the design and the i-drive (which I didn't even really touch). The merits of the car are entirely elsewhere. Most top sedans feel like faults, but the new 7 feels like the Swiss central bank's vault.

As to the i-drive, I think car vendors (and not only BMW) are totally missing the boat with their electronic craze. If they're halfway serious about user interfaces... put an optional wifi port on the car, and give users a CD-ROM with PC and MAC versions of a control program. Proceed to control all those gimmicky car functions you never change anyway with a real graphic interface.
  • silly1040silly1040 Posts: 48
    I'M ACTUALLY SHOPPING FOR A 5 SERIES BUT NEEDED SOME INPUT FROM THE 2002 7-SERIES OWNERS.

HAS BMW UPGRADED THE NAV. SYSTEM WITH THE NEW I-DRIVE ADDITION? I KNOW THAT BEFORE, THE GPS USED A CD VERSION INSTEAD OF THE MORE IMPRESSIVE DVD VERSION. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF BMW HAS DECIDED TO CATCH UP WITH THE LEADERS IN NAVIGATION SYSTEMS.

THANKS
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    The 2002 745i still has the CD based navigation, not DVD. My biggest disappointment with iDrive is the slight delay between pages, which I believe is due to the processor speed.
  • Indeed, the 740i Sport version was one of BMW's better productions....a 1999 Edmunds auto reviewer proposed it as possibly the "finest sedan in existence" during that period....if one looks at the steering wheel and sport wheels of later 740 Sport models, the M badging is discreetly profiled, as that division of BMW was reponsible to the vehicle's performance upgrading....note that the iL version of the Sport package was purely for the sake of appearance,(trim, seats, etc.), while the shorter i version has the true M engineered performance enhancements....Looking at new 2002 745i one appreciates the past model even more so....the enginneers and designers of the new model will be joining their colleagues of the Pontiac Aztek on the unemployment line shortly..once the "buzz" of the new model wears off, and the initial sales spike plummets, this turkey of the BMW line is going to get a serious makeover in a year or two...not only is it downright ugly,( think Dodge Intrepid rear/trunk view),the botched idrive concept makes this not the "ultimate driving machine" but a distraction hazard. This is a car Microsoft would produce if they were in the automotive business.
  • lgoodyearlgoodyear Posts: 7
    My 93 740il has 148,000 miles on it. it is a great car & was well maintained by original owmer. I am contemplating upgrading it with new wheels and minor maintenance repairs hoping that no major repair is lingering around the next corner. I am also thinking of selling it with no furhter investment and buying a 94-95'740il with only 95-100k miles. Any comments out there?
  • vic19vic19 Posts: 56
    I turned in my 5 series at the end of a three year lease and drove the new 7 series.

It drives as you'd expect. Quite and well balanced. They moved the gear shift to the column and made room on the console for the joy stick and other accutraments.

The last time I had to make this decision, it was fairly easy. I suspected that the 7 was about to change and it seemed like such an old man's car. This time maybe it's me but it doesn't have such a Frankfurt banker look. I guess the new 5 is coming out this fall, that according to the salesman. It's a great car, but I guess I'm a little tired of it.

I didn't get down to the nut cutting, but whatever it's worth, he hinted that he would take something less than a $2,000 markup. It's just like my 5. If I buy, I can see what's coming on the boat or what's being manufacturered in the near future and select anything that isn't already sold. The nice thing about the 7 is that there really aren't many expensive options. It's really easy to put $20,000 worth of options on a S class.
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
  • cppgrcppgr Posts: 4
    There is a recall in new BMW 7-Series for about 8,000 cars.
    They finally decided to revise the trunk?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Actually, 15,000 cars were recalled to correct two possible software-related problems linked to the elecronic systems that measure fuel levels and regulate the throttle.
  • stallonestallone Posts: 4
    CAN ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY HAD A REMOTE STARTED IN THE 745 BMW IM THINKING TO HAVE ONE IN THANH YOU
  • dave203dave203 Posts: 13
    guys I know who have added electrical accessories or mods have only had problems on their 740's as a result. this would be even risker on the 745 due to the greater complexity in the car. good luck
  • vic19vic19 Posts: 56
    I'm going to order a 2003 7 series. I drove it when I turned in my 5 last week and I finally decided that I like it. It takes awhile with it's ersats leather dash and funny controls and strange trunk lid but hey it's not bland like the S class.

Please tell me what kind of deals you guys have been getting on this car. I notice that there are no subvented leases like on my 5.

I guess the Europeans have finally given in to the auto transmission. If they offer one in Europe, what you they do they do with the joy sitck?
  • That's a good question for the manual transmission versions of this car which are popular in other parts of the world..Maybe they'll wind up in some BMW museum in Munich and people there can view them and chuckle at the excess of over the top engineering and learn from such mistakes.. IMHO, the whole idrive concept is headed for the scrap yard, as BMW will have to swallow hard and reconfigure their controls.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • kerbkerb Posts: 86
    Does anyone know if this is possible? Is there an adapter or other apparatus which would allow for this? Also, is there a way to receive TV signals via the navigation display.

Many Thanks.
  • While passing a car at 80 mph in 5pm traffic to get off on an exit ramp, I realized I could not slow down or gear down and that I had no brakes. Without panicing, as some women would do, I tried to think of what I could possibly do in order to avoid a serious collision with the four lanes of traffice in front of me. After trying to gear down and brake, I turned the car off and pulled the park brake while skidding into the car in front of me. I am wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem and if so what BMW did about it. I have had my throttle cables replaced, but now my tranmission is slipping, I am afraid I am in for a true "ride". This is my first experience owning a BMW and I am about ready to push it off the side of a mountain. I have had this car since March 21st and it is about to be towed for the third time. 1997 740i, 64k miles, CPO...I thought these cars were supposed to run forever!