Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    The quality of all luxury cars is declining (with the exeption of Lexus perhaps) This is because of cost cutting by the German auto companies. The cost of doing business there is much higher than other locals. A friend said his boss's 745i was a disaster and that he took it back to the dealer in three weeks. My 2001 S500 has many more creeks and noises than a mid 90's model and the plastics suck. I didn't even consider the phone system after hearing the problems with it. Also just like software the more gizmos get put into a car the more it 'crashes' so to speak. I think in order to get the build quality of a Bentley, MB S class and BMW 745's would be much more costly. Too bad for the consumer. Lower sticker prices (if you can call a 75K+ low) are the price we pay for poorer quality.
  • Hum, it sounds like that half of the new 7 series is junk then. Hate to say it but I view them junk right at this moment. It does not make since for a car to break down on you that cost more than a house note. The LS 430 has almost just as much technology and you don't hear these kind of problems in them thus far.

Hope BMW fix these nagging problems and recalls because their styling will not do them justice since it is being heavily criticized. The only thing worth mentioning is their compact sports car-like handling, technology, and comfort.

J "CaddyLac"
  • faustomdfaustomd Posts: 3
    I liked the new 7 the moment I saw it in Italy last november. Now that I've been driving my brand new 745Li around for almost a month, I love it. I have been an MB loyalist for some time, but this car far outperforms all possible MB models in terms of comfort, technology and luxury. I also have a '00 MB E430 4Matic (for winter/rain driving). Since I have started driving the Bimmer, the Benz has been sitting in my driveway. Too bland, too traditional, not appealing. It definitely does not cost 85k, but I would have expected more from a 60k car. Anyway, I love the Bimmer. I have had no problem with it so far. This car turns more heads than a Porsche convertible, and people like it more and more. It wil be a big score for BMW, and I am sure that MB will be at a loss at least until the S series will be restyled in 2005.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    What it seems like to me you're enjoying your "new" car more than your "older" one. Thats only natural. Must be nice.......

M
    Does anybody know if it is possible to deactivate the "fasten seat belt" in the date/temp slot? It is very annoying and I am sure there's a way around it.
    Thanks

FaustoMD
  • millerro3millerro3 Posts: 136
    why don't you put your seatbelt on? That'll make it go off!
    Great advice, Millerro...but I really didn't ask for it! Refrain from judging others only from posted question, which might be purely technical. I just drove back from NYC, fully buckled all the way, as always. The problem is that even when you drive the car around your driveway, it is impossible to read the outside temp. unless you fasten the seat belt. Now, if you know the answer to my original question, your reply is very welcome, otherwise, save your time and wisdom!
    Thanks in advance,
    FaustoMD
  • MGySgtMGySgt Posts: 5
    I'm seriously looking at a 740i to replace my venerable old Thunderbird which is going to my mother. I'm fairly familiar with BMW but haven't driven a 7 Series. I gave my wife the choice of a new MB or BMW 5 Series but she chose a 2002 Mazda Tribute instead and is very happy with it. Anyway, are there any old hands with 7 Series out there? I mostly use my cars for highway driving and reliability is a must. Thanks in advance for whatever advice I get.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Crazy wives.

No big executive luxury sedan on the road looks and drives better than a 740i. Too bad I'll never dream of a 7-Series again in the "after Bangle happened" era. Wonder how the 'event' of the 745i launch has impacted 740i values.
  • stallonestallone Posts: 4
    im thinking to buy the new 745li the peoples that alredy have whath they think of the car i wos thinking the 2003 what is the big ploblems about the car thank you
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,127
    Well, I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Chris Bangle, but the look of the new 745 is really growing on me (especially since I'm such a big fan of the 740i Sport). It has a commanding presence about it when it is coming toward you similar to the previous generation S Class. The rear end at night with the tail lights lit up looks great. And I hate to say it, but the "old" 740s look sated when you compare it to the new 745i (Unlike the E36 3 series which still look good IMHO).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sysadbsysadb Posts: 83
    I'm with you, nyccarguy. I have a 98 740 and the new car looks much more purposeful. I parked mine near a new one yesterday and concluded mine was a Plain Jane. The new car is better in every way to me, especially the looks, room, and power.

If anything hurts the sales of this car it will probably be the i-drive. I think that in 2-3 years most people will want this on their cars, although for now I can see where it might scare away some buyers, especially the techniphobes. But in the long run BMW will be remembered as innovative for introducing this option.

DB
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,127
    I agree with you that the i-drive is definitely a concept that people will have to warm up to. My original complaint with it is that if you look at the target audience of the average 7-Series buyer (and throw the NASDAQ crowd out the window) who can afford a $70,000 luxury car it is older people (50's - 70's) who aren't into technology as much as the 3 series (who don't want i-drive either) crowd. 2-3 years down the road, the will refine the technology and make it MORE user friendly.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• dakine1dakine1 Posts: 1
    I have noticed several comments regarding build quality in these newer cars. I have owned over forty BMW's since 1972, the majority of them being six and seven series cars. There is, without question, a decline in quality, most noticably in the models produced from 88/89 on. I have always felt the seven series to be the best value on the planet, particularly the pre 93 models. These things are true high performance luxury sedans that are a joy to own. The "Big Six" is a world class engine, proven over time to be bullet proof. You really have to abuse this engine for a long time before it comes back to bite you. For me, the jury is still out on the newer V-8's. While they are extremely quiet and smooth running I am more impressed with the performance of the 3.5 six with the 4 speed automatic (not to mention ease of working on). I will continue to drive seven series cars for a long time, although nothing that comes from Mr. Bangle's board.
  • dahamdaham Posts: 3
    I am new to the thread and have just purchased a 1999 740i Sport with about 45,000 miles on the tires. The tires looks like they will be good for about 5,000 miles, and I was wondering what the group felt were the best tire sizes and brands to replace them. It currently has Michelin Pilots 235/50 ZR18's front, and 255/45 ZR18 rear.

All suggestions will be appreciated.
  • Has anyone encountered difficulty in seeing the instrument panel in sunlight. Specically the mileage & odometer readings as well as the area for the clock and temperature?
  • tbavartbavar Posts: 1
    The 745i has a recall because of faulty electronics. The on board telephone does not communicate. The Navigation system does not work properly. BMW has my car for two weeks trying to fix it. The screen is also too hard to read. With glasses on my vision is 20-20. The print on the screen is too small and not light enough. I suggest waiting to buy untill BMW works this out. By the way - it drives great but you are paying a lot for those electronics.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Take a look at the specs! Incredible weight ratios. Look at the photo page. This is an GOOD interior design!

http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020709.001

• nszabonszabo Posts: 19
    answer to #648 and a Question...

If reliability is a must go with a japanese make such as Lexus, if you want a car that is a serious driver get the bmw. I have a 2000 740il love it, best car I've ever had, only problem I have now is that the left rear door does not lock and unlock.Any of you guys have an answer to that???? Thanks.
  • maw1982maw1982 Posts: 62
    Hi,

I am looking at late model ('95-'01) 7-series and noticed that all of them had either a built-in phone or phone wiring (a wire where th phone should go with a plug in the end. I wanted to know if I could hook up my cell phone (motorola i95cl) and used the hands-free features the car ofers. THanks