Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jannellwjannellw Posts: 2
    hello all i just bout my 1st 98 740il, and i love it.... i purched it from peter pan bwm in cali... how ever if u seen it u would think it was an 01 they changed the lights, and rims and it is soooo roomy :)
  • jannellwjannellw Posts: 2
    hello,...ok when you open up the hood on a 98 740il the round blk cap looking thing, is that the oil filter? also if u dont have a gasket between the top and bottom will that cause the oil to leak?.. im sorry but i dont know much so hopefully someone know what im talking about...than you
  • thejax2006thejax2006 Posts: 3
    Hello,

I've been looking at cert pre owned 7 series for a few months. I was told by a BMW salesman to stay away from any 7 series that was built before May of 2003 due to serious problems with the computer.

Anyone else heard of this? If so, how would BMW assist in this? I mean, I'd would hate to have to be constantly at a dealer with my car, but wouldn't BMW at some point have to do something to resolve the problem if I was there repeatedly for the same problem?

Thanks in advance!
  • sadatxsadatx Posts: 70
    Greetings,

I am also extremely interested in purchasing a CPO 03 745Li with the sport package. Can someone comment on the vehicle from a mechanical view, ie engine, tranny reliability?

thejax2006,

I havent heard abt the pre may 03 production dates. since you've mentioned it, i've only been looking at post may 03 production dates and lemme tell you, its been tough to find em. the majority of the production dates fall between 11/02 thru 3/03. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for since the 3.9% financing may disappear soon.

Thanks.
  • yak54yak54 Posts: 72
    My car has been put on a boat to S.C. How can I track it online?
    Greetings,

Can someone pls tell me if only CPO 03s come with the additional 2 yr, 60k mile warranty - or do non-certified 03s also qualify. I found the 7 series I'm looking for but its at a Mercedes/Chevy dealer. Vehicle has 25k miles, and its an 03, non CPO with a clean carfax history.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • All 02s and 03s have the warranty.
  • sag5sag5 Posts: 9
    Hello! i would really appreciate any guidance you can give me to help with my purchase of this car. the exterior and interior appearance of this car is fabulous. it has a wonderful ride, but i am nervous about its mechanical reliability. Are there certain areas that i should pay particular attention to in my examination of this car. are there particular questions i should ask the dealer about this car. i ran the carfax and it was clean. i know so little about buying a used car,particularly one in this price range. the extended warranty calms my nerves just a little. the car is a one owner vehicle out of New York. was shipped from germany in 4/03. Thanks!
    i would suggest getting the VIN# of the vehicle and having the BMW dealer provide the service history. the shorter the list, the better :) i also just recently purchased an 03 745Li and the vehicle has been great. i do currently have an annoying RPM issue which the dealer is looking into. other than that, its been fine.

good luck.
    Thanks sadatx! wonderful advice! i will let you know how i made out. good luck to you too! how long have you had your car. what rpm issue are you experiencing, i read something an earlier about the rpm dropping. again thanks for taking the time to respond! i have some serious butterflies about this purchase. what has your gas/mileage experience been. i currently drive a chrysler 300 and my husband is convinced my mileage will be the same.
    Hi Sag5,

I've had my car for a little over a month. the rpm issue im experiencing is basically the rpm needle doesnt remain on 500 when the car is in idle or in park with the AC off. My BMW dealer has a puma case open with BMW on this matter. Ive also observed from other boards that this rpm issue im having is being experienced by other ppl as well with no solution just yet. So far my gas mileage has been abt 16.5 mpg (driving in both the city and on expressways).

If you decide to purchase the vehicle, the 60k mile service will run you abt a thousand dollars (this is what my dealer told me b/c im debating on the purchase of the additional 2yr/50k full maintence package which is being offered to me at $1300). So if you can, have your dealer throw that in for free with the deal :)

good luck.
    Thanks sadatx! I have actually decided against buying the car at this point. after talking with several people who recently purchased this model, i realized that i really can't afford this car - the gas alone would be huge for me. continue to enjoy your recent purchase, it is a wonderful car and i will continue to appreciate from afar. thanks again for your time and attention.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• rohan25rohan25 Posts: 4
    Is this a good deal for a late 03 model with just 21K miles. Car was under corporate lease and was turned in as a trade in. Car fax and auto check is clean. I am looking to buy the car this week. Any advise would be appreciated.

How do I check the service history of the car.

Thanks
  • Anyone know how I can get replacement back cover for the outside passenger side mirror? It popped off when hit by a door in a parking lot.
  • zkaudiozkaudio Posts: 60
    Anyone here have any advice on how the leasing process works for cpo 745 models? It seems like the lease would be very affordable due to the low depreciation on a 2yr old model. I'm looking at 03 and 04 cpo 745's right now. What would be a reasonable lease payment on a cpo 745 03 w/ aroudn 39k miles and sticker of 42? Thanks in advance I love this forum!
  • I have 2001 740i with 59,000 on it. Last night i was using Navigation and by accident clicked on emergency option on the screen. Nav showed me my location and then screen went blank. I turned off the car but screen would not come back. Radio, cd etc. are working ok.
    I took out Nav DVD disc and turned on the car, screen came back. I turned off the car, put the DVD disc back in and turned the car on. Screen was blank, grey with white lines. I then tried taking DVD out again but it would not come out.

Just wanted to know if anyone run into similiar issue and how it was resolved. It sucks that my certified warranty run out in June.

Thanks for your help.
  • I'd wonder why it had only 21K miles? I Drive too complicated, too much service work, etc?

Man, these things make a Porsche's maintenance issues not even worth mentioning. Scary. I wonder who in the secondary market is going to buy a 7 Series when they come off all the hidden warranty programs in a couple of years?
  • The 7 series does not tend to do well in resale once out of warranty; so people shopping for them used should not be afraid to bargain hard....it's a buyer's market on these cars when they are used and not CPO cars.
  • I was able to temporarily solve the problem by:
    1. Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes
    2. Taking out Nav DVD
    3. Putting DVD back into reader

Everything worked ok for about 2 days and then Nav screen went grey again while i was
    driving. I reset the computer (see above) and screen started working again. But this time
    radio stopped working after about 5 min. I had to turn radio off and back on again. It worked
    for another 5-10min and then stopped at which point screen went dark again.

Any ideas/suggestions???