Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Looked at KBB trade-in and it says about 11k-11.5k Guess I'll offer 11k for it and see if they go for it. Gotta drive it and see if I like it or not.

-mike
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    That's kinda high Mike. KBB's trade in is most other price guides retail. $11K is high retail IMO, and once you dump money in the car and try to resell in a year, you're gonna take a beating.

Are you sure those aftermarket parts meet OEM standards for that car? Well, maybe. I don't really know. But that's 4,300 lbs of automobile you are haulin' down.

It's a nice driving car. I'm sure you'll like it. It doesn't feel as big as it is.
    Yes they are well beyond the OEM requirements for the car! They are actually performance parts for it!

May decide to go ubber economy though, still debating.

-mike
    Hmmm...maybe I was thinking of the 750iL...we did brakes on a buddy's car and I don't think we got it done that cheaply. Of course, we did the whole thing top to bottom, so....I'm not sure if we bought Pagid or Zimmermann. Dealer quote was $2,000 for brakes. Maybe we didn't shop hard enough.

My main concern with "performance" parts is that they work great but they're pretty rough on rotors and pads....
    Well $2000 is not out of line for dealer parts and service on all 4 corners. I've seen folks go to Subaru dealers and paid $700 for front rotors and pads, and not performance ones at that.

HP+ are a bit rough on the rotors, but the HPS pads which are more streetable, are actually less expensive as are non-slotted rotors.

It can also be a result of WHEN you did the rotors and pads. As a car ages, especially from 5-10 years old, is when you start to see a lot of rotors and pad replacements become available which brings the prices down significantly.

-mike
  • 87jeeper87jeeper Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '94 740iL with 144k miles on it. Seems to run great, no problems. But I'm weary of the price, $4,650... am I just getting a really good deal, or is there most likely more to this car than meets the eye?

Here's a link to the car
    BMW
    No you aren't getting a particularly good deal---the price is absolutely market correct...spot on for private party, a bit light for dealer, but probably correct for the Midwest.

CARFAX says the car was originally leased out of Illinois, then lived all its life in Indiana. Records cease in year 2000 with 62,000 miles on the car. So maybe it went out of state or ???

Get a thorough mechanical inspection and see what's what....might be an okay deal for you as long as there are no major items crying for attention. Repairs and deferred maintenance can add up fast on a car like this, so go in with both eyes open and remember, you can always find another at this price if something troubles you about the car.

MrShiftright
    Jes' Visiting This Topic
  • scholderscholder Posts: 14
    My 740i is periodically, (every month or so) having the check coolant light go on and I have to add about a pint to top it off for the light to go off. Do you know why this is occurring? It doesn't seem to be getting worse but is an inconvenience. Thanks.
  • eric312eric312 Posts: 71
    It could be that the sensor is old and dirty. Next time try "shaking/spinning" the floating thingie and see what happens.
    You may also have a small leak somewhere.
    good sugestions from eric.

You can get a pressure test (easy to do) to try and spot a small leak...perhaps the coolant reservoir tank has a small seam leak---not uncommmon.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host
  • rube1rube1 Posts: 1
    has anyone installed this system in 01 740il?
  • First, thanks to all of you, I have really learned a lot about these cars over past few days. You all really seem to know your BMW's inside and out.

I am looking at a 2000 740iL Sport Package and wanted to pass along some thoughts and get some clarification. My car experience has been with Volvo and Lexus up to now - and I've decided to change it up a bit.

Despite having 115K miles on it - the one I am looking at is in impeccable condition inside. I was really surprise some of the "gadgets" - like the auto-rear window shade were still working. I was very impressed with the quality of the interior and, at 6'5", I felt I had plenty of room.

that being said, I need to find out if there is anyway to update the navigation system - it is obviously using 1st generation maps so they aren't very good.
    The original owner has ALL of the maintenance records - with no MAJOR repairs (major for me mean engine, transmission, suspension, etc.)
    At $10,000 (private party - family discount), this seem like a great car I could get another 100K out of.

I guess what I am looking for are questions I should get answered before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

JCW
  • I echo your sentiments...

I have been reading through this board for the better part of 4 months now and am finally taking the long awaited plunged into BMW ownership.

I am currently looking at a 2000 740IL with 84K...dealer is asking 12,400

- One owner vehicle with all service records.
    - Execellent condition inside and out with more than 3500 in recent repairs (power steering lines, rear control arms and brakes)
    - Area of concern is faint thumping noise coming from the front. The dealer says rotors, but from reading the board, I fear CA bushings may be worn.

I've noticed very few postings on this board since the spring. I hope the seasoned owners can provide some insight to a newbie. Thanks All!!!
  • Bought it as a demo with 5000 miles in April 1998 for $50000. I can say that it drives today the same as it did
    9 1/2 years ago. Repairs... oh yea. Waranty work took care of the catalytic converters, rear shocks, instrument
    cluster, glove box and center console mechanisms. Was told the radiator neck would probably break around 60000 miles.
    It did at 62500. Replaced it myself. Ac compressor and
    water pump went at 90000 and 92000. Both total $2000.
    Leaking valve covers at 98000. $700. Now have leaking
    timing chain cover at 102000. Cost est. $3000. May not seem too bad over 9 1/2 years but throw in regular mantainence
    and two brake jobs, the first one $900 the second one $350
    ordering the parts from Autohauz Arizona and doing it
    myself. Oh yea the power steering hoses both low and high pressure around 75000 miles. You can always say it's cheaper
    than buying a new car. I thought about unloading it and buying a LS430 used just going by what I've been reading
    about Lexus and the nice ride and reliability. So today
    I test drove a 2004 LS430 and I kept thinking is this all
    there is. I liked my beamer better.
  • slim8slim8 Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 95 740IL and a friend of mine in europe has told me you can check the true milage of the vehicle buy holding the trip meter in and turning on the ignition (or some method like that ) and the true mileage will be displayed.....can anyone verify this method and is it done this way ?
  • I have been trying to sell my 2001 740i for over a month now by posting it on cars.com, autotrader and craigslist.

I lowered the ASKING price to $100 less than kelley blue book private party average (i do live in New York city) and still no calls.

The car has 63,000 miles and in great shape.

Has anyone tried to sell a 7series themselves, any suggestions?
  • What are you asking? Looks like it should sell at around $15,000 in real money?

Kelley tends to be unrealistically high, maybe that's the snag, or just could be the wrong time of year.
  • It has sport package, convinience package, cold weather pkg. 63K miles.
    Got it as a certified BMW in 2003 for $43K

Kelley private party is $20,600 I am asking $20,500.

$15K sounds more like Kelley trade in value.

I also thought it could be time of the year...
  • I've seen clean 2001s sellling $15K up to $18K asking. I've not seen one at $20K though. They do depreciate a lot, sad to say.

Lemme check on autotrader for you and come up with average asking price for a bunch of them.....

STAY BY:

Okay, here's the results--it's a pretty good pool of comps--175 cars for sale

# of 2001 7-series found: 175 cars for sale

$29,500 Highest asking price (silly)
    $10,300 Lowest asking price ( a beater)
    $17,860 Average asking price (probably close to reality)
  • It is said how quickly they depreciate....

I was just thingking if i sell it for $18k i will need to spend AT LEAST $55k on a new 535 just to replicate all the features that this car has :(