Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla 0W-20 oil - What's this about?

2»

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    5w-30 oil, I use Techtron fuel injector cleaner (from Walmart, etc) every 15,000 miles. The oil info is in the owner's manual. You can find the maintenance guide here at Edmunds or at Toyota:
    Toyota Website for maintenance guide

Basically, see what was done to your car (miles and time). Hopefully, you have the service records. Then, see what is due by looking at the maintenance guides I told you about in the last paragraph.

The 1998 and newer Corollas have a timing chain, should not require any maintenance. Brake fluid & power steering fluid - change it. The guides may not tell you that, but it is cheap insurance. PVC valve - change it - very easy to do yourself, and very cheap ($5 part, 5 minutes or less).

I had a 99 Corolla, great car! Sold it at around 120k because I needed a bigger car (Camry). Only problem I had was the a/c compressor had a seal leaking after 90k miles, so 2x per year, I just put more R134 refrigerant in it, and it cooled fine.

What Corolla do you have? CE, LE, SE, anti-lock brakes? automatic or manual transmission?

I can give you more info - just give me more specifics about yours.
  • No, Toyota recommends a oil change every 10,000 miles with ow-20!
    No, Toyota recommends a oil change every 10,000 miles with ow-20!

NO. Only on the model year 2011 and newer Corollas. Yes, it would probably be fine, but since Toyota did not say it, they could deny a warranty claim.
  • apolleyapolley Posts: 1
    I pay between $8-$9/quart and can get a full 25,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Last oil change was 12 months @ 21,248 miles. And will not void the warranty.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Posts: 117
    20,000+ miles without changing oil?
    no thanks!
    Toyota 0w-20 I just paid $7.50 (not including tax) per quart.

Toyota says 10,000 miles or 12 months between oil changes, whatever comes first. For Corolla, I think the first one that has this spec is the 2011 model.
2»