Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    You may have a crappy car, but the repairs haven't cost you almost anything and I have never called you a name. All I said was, you have been unlucky with your car(s) and you have received decent service from your dealer.

No the Cavalier isn't the greatest car in the world, but most people are generally happy with them.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had a crappy car, and the repairs didn't cost me a penny because it was still under warranty. That's not the point. The point is if the vehicle were better made and/or engineered, there would be zero problems with it. I know things break, but not major ones like MD described in such short mileage. Also, though it didn't cost a lot, it's a real pain in the butt to have to run back and forth to and from the dealer and also, it reduces the confidence you have in a car after it breaks so many times.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    You just had a lousy dealership experience! Are all Chevy dealers as bad as yours? Of course not!
  • Just because most people YOU know that means it's a bad car because we all know that you just know everyone who owns one and since your group of "friends" had "bad" ones then the rest of the world is just like yours. And since the number of people complaining here represents the vast majority of the world we also know you are correct.

MD has a choice, trade the car for a Saturn if service is the concern or keep the violins going with the car he or she owns.
  • I have asked before, does the 7-year/100K warranty apply to second or third owners, or just the original owner? I would think it would transfer to the new owner. My car was built in 12/93 and has almost 89K on it, and it misses and uses a small amount of coolant. Lemonbusters says it has a blown head gasket but it neevr gets hot on me. James Wood Chevy in Denton, TX says they won't replace it because I'm not the original owner. Is this a line? Should I try other Chevy dealers? I really want to sell this car, I don't need it anymore,. but I can't get good money for it if it is blown.
    I agree, he has a bad car. Maybe you did also. Most Cavaliers are good though and the car (according to JD Power) has average reliability. While I sympathize with anyone who has had bad experiences, coming here and making blanket statements that Cavaliers all suck just isn't right.
  • Are u a mechanic? Ive got question on my 93 cavalier
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    First of all, I'm a "he". If you'd read my posts, you would have read that the Cavalier is my WIFE's car.

Second, not everyone in the world has an endless supply of cash. Purchasing another car isn't an option for us right now. We were kind of hoping (actually, EXPECTING) that a modern car by any major manufacturer could last more than 50,000 miles before turning into a maintenance nightmare. Obviously we made the wrong choice.

We WILL eventually wind up purchasing another car. But it won't be a Saturn -- they're made by GM too. Nope, we'll be heading to the imports. And before you start in on me, just think about what you'd do if you were in my shoes. A car is a major investment for us (I would think for anyone), and we don't feel like taking any more chances. Sure, an import might have trouble too -- there are no guarantees. I'm not closed-minded enough to think like that. But I've taken my chances with GM and lost. So it's time to try something else.

And teo, how can you keep saying I "just had a lousy dealership experience?" Are you not paying attention? The problems I've had (and have been continuing to have) with this car were manufacturing defects! We aren't even taking the car to the same dealership we bought it from! The dealership had nothing to do with the faulty head gasket GM recalled, the head bolts GM told them to use again when GM's own service manuals tell them to replace them with new ones, or the a/c and power steering hoses that were mounted so that they rubbed against the serpentine belt!

The car was MADE poorly. Maybe yours wasn't. That's wonderful; enjoy it! But I'm not going to take the chance again. That's all I'm saying!

Meade
    That specific warranty applies to whomever owns the vehicle. Doesn't matter is you're the 20th owner, they have to fix it before 7 years/100K.
    Better luck with your new car purchase. I would avoid expensive Honda/ Toyota products. Nissan and Mazda are probably the best import values.

Don't blame you for changing, but please don't infer from your experience means all GM cars are "crap".
  • You already had imports and you had bad experiences with them. You are making no sense. Calculate how much you are spending by financing new cars vs the cost you had to repair your AC ( $300 according to you). I guess I'll see you again at a Mazda, Honda, Toyota , or Nissan forum complaining about a car. Good luck!

PS: This doesn't mean these are bad cars but md appears to buy the lemons of every brand he touches. Good luck!
    Actually, if you read the Mazda Protege 5 forum, he has one of those (2000 ES model from what I have read), and it's been trouble-free for 7000 miles. I would much rather trust a Mazda, Toyota, or Nissan than a Hyundai or Chevrolet any day. My mother has a 1993 Pontiac (70K) right now that's always in the shop. It's junk, as was her 1994 Pontiac that this one replaced (150K).

And if you read the leading consumer magazines, the Cavalier, Malibu, and most American cars have average or lower reliability. Most foreign (Japanese or European) cars have average or better reliability. American cars may be cheaper, but low price alone doesn't equal value.
  • Save your comments for someone who cares. The truth is that Chevy has never let myself or my family down. They7 have all been truoble free. Since they PROVED to be quality cars to us we are buying them rather than acting like an un intelligent person and follow reviews from magazines. you obviously can not think for yourself. So one car was troublesome for you and you switched, that is a reason to do so but reading a magazine and following it. I can't wait for the day that magazines publish that it is cool to jump off of a cliff or into a canyon or something. That would really get rid of some people in this world that just take up space. Well that was kibda off the topic but i still think it would be funny. Anyhoo point is vocus I don't care what the magazines say, the cars themselves have proven them wrong in my family and in the end it's all that matters my friend. You can keep your Ford wanna be car, let's see what happens down the road.
    No, all GM cars aren't crap. My dad and stepmom both have Buick Rivieras and they're fine. My experience, however, makes me hesitate to buy anything built in America ever again -- yeah, I'm even hesitant to buy Japanese products assembled here. Read on.

If you'll notice, my 1994 Mazda pickup was a piece of junk too -- as you point out, malibu -- but did you know that since 1994, the Mazda B-series trucks have been re-badged Ford Rangers? My truck had Ford's 2.3-liter four-cylinder in it, and all the electrical and mechanical trimmings -- all proudly stamped with "Motorcraft" and "Ford" labels. The only thing manufactured by Mazda on the entire truck was the transmission, which is also used in Ford's Ranger.

My new Mazda Protege that Vocus spoke of was built in Hiroshima, Japan (yeah yeah, I've heard all of the bomb jokes) and has been flawless for the 7,200 miles I've put on it since I bought it in May. The 1992 Protege that I had before making the stupid decision to trade it in on the truck went 82,000 miles without ONE problem. I never did anything but change the oil and perform the recommended maintenance.

See a pattern? Of the cars I've had, my Japan-built Mazdas have been flawless. My domestic-built vehicles have been what's-wrong-this-time maintenance nightmares. You'll probably be quick to point out that I had a 1988 Hyundai Excel whose transmission died. And if you do that, I'll say fine -- if you're going to put Chevrolet and Hyundai in the same category, then you've actually strengthened my point. In fact, the late '80s Pontiac LeMans was built by Daewoo -- a Korean company facing bankruptcy that even Ford won't purchase (Ford nixed the deal this morning). So maybe I just need to stay with cars that were built in Japan, because to date I've had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL with ANY VEHICLE I've owned that was made in Japan.

Meade
    "Most foreign(Japanese or European) cars have average or better reliability".

I agree a few brands have better reliability, but in general American cars are at average or above in reliability. VW, all Korean and a few Japanese makes are below GM. Like I said before, the Cavalier is probably one of GMs weakest models.
    attacking Vocus this time. Why can't we have a civil debate without you spouting off with personal attacks? "Save your comments for someone who cares"? Obviously YOU care what he has to say, or you wouldn't bother reading and responding to his posts.

Malibu, we're really doing the same thing. You're staying with Chevrolet because they've never done you wrong. That's great, and I wish you the best. I'm staying with Mazda (built in Japan) because they've never done me wrong. I share my opinions, you share yours. See how this works?

Meade
    Interesting that "Cavalier is probably one of GM's weakest models." If I were GM's president, I'd fire the people responsible for that if it's true.

Think about it ... the Cavalier is GM's bread-and-butter car. I'd bet (I don't know, but I would bet) that the Cavalier is the top selling car made by GM -- at least here in America. On top of that, the Cavalier, since it's low-priced, is probably the first experience with GM products for a lot of young people. To cause a behavior change and win a GM customer for life, maybe they need to rethink the quality of their entry-level vehicle.

Meade
    Exactly the marketing strategy I thought about before. I know the Cavalier was my first experience with the GM family and it was the same with many of my friends who bought them. They were all our first cars. Now, I will probably never buy another GM product (or American for that matter) again. It didn't cost me anything for the repairs done to my Cavalier because it was still under the basic warranty, but the time and trouble of running back and forth was enough to make me never want to buy another one.
    Actually GM's bread and butter is trucks. They make about $400-500 on a Cavalier and about $5000 on a big truck. That's 10 Cavaliers for 1 truck. Further.. the truck market is growing, small car market is shrinking. What would you put your resources in to?
  • My daughter is currently driving a 88 Cav with 169,000 miles on it (2.0 liter auto). Parts are easy to come by and the car is easy to repair. I just replace the front brakes, struts, and coil springs. It barely took me an afternoon and I'm talking about rotors, calipers, and brakes lines. This car has not had any major problems.
  • Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson confirmed that this car has the cylinder head to engine block joint head gasket leak that has a Special Policy on Canadian 1992-1993 models. So since mine is a US-sold 1994 model with the exact same manufacturing defect, how do I get it fixed for free? I have already picked up the car since they refuse to do the work for free. It still misses and hesitates badly. What can I do now? Who should I call and where could I take the car? Other Chevy dealers I have called say the car will not be covered. This is supposed to be a 7-year 100K warranty and the car is a 1994 with 88,905 on it. I really can't afford a $800 head job and gasket.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    The US warranty is 2.2 eng.95-99 7yrs 70K.I had a 94 cav. with a 2.2 an the head gasket leaked.I called the dealer to see if there was any warranty and they told me they would fix it for $350.my engine had 80K so it still would not be covered,I think they plan it that way most leak after 70K.I do mechanic work so I replaced it myself for $14.I feel for the people have to take there car to a shop,the bills are very high.$800.must for more than a gasket change,I just replaced my gasket an 40K later with no problems sold it at 120K.I wish you luck.
    Our head gasket in our 1995 Crapalier died at 42K. And then it leaked again -- turned out the dealer's mechanics had broken a head bolt -- at 48K. Now (49K) you can still smell coolant when the engine's warm. Can't wait to get rid of this bucket of bolts.

Meade
    Go check out http://www.lemonaidcars.com and click on "secret warranties watch" to the left of the screen. It may be of some help concerning the head gaskets on the 1994-up Cavaliers.
    "Our head gasket in our 1995 Crapalier died at 42K.And then it leaked again -- turned out the
    dealer's mechanics had broken a head bolt"

Well that's not GMs fault, that's your dealer's fault. Don't blame the car.
    If the head gasket blew in the first place, apparently the engine wasn't made to be durable. If the head hadn't blown, the bolts wouldn't have been messed up. Therefore, it's GM's fault in the long run because they made a crappy engine. Also, the 2.2 is the same design since 1991. You think they would have gotten it right by the 1995 MY.
    Absolutely. But they fixed it under warranty, so GM did it's part. The dealership screwed up from there.
    Didn't you read my posts on this a couple of weeks ago? You replied to them, so you must have. I'll help you remember one key point ... GM INSTRUCTED their dealers to re-install the SAME head bolts when replacing the gaskets under the "recall." This goes against GM's own service procedures that call for installing NEW head bolts after head work is performed. In other words, in GM's effort to cut costs on fixing THEIR problem, they created a new one.

Alas, GM caused the head bolt problem because used, corroded head bolts are not supposed to be re-installed and re-torqued after head work! Go read ANY GM service manual!!!

Meade
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I used my head bolts again an 40K later every was going great.Your broken bolt was a fluke,Ive never replaced head bolts on any gasket replacement an have done a lot of 6.9 diesel engines.An never had a 6.9 ever break a bolt.
    It's easy to say "get rid of the car" and all, but the car he's speaking of (1995 Cavalier) is paid off. Isn't it nice not to have a car payment on a car? Well I am sure Meade feels the same way.

Plus, the car has less than 50K on it. It shouldn't be blowing anything yet. It's just an excuse Chevrolet uses to cover up their poor manufacturing, and a poor excuse at that. I guess, like my mother used to say, a poor excuse is better than none at all, right? The bottom line is if Chevrolet would have made the engines correctly in the first place, the head wouldn't have had to be replaced and there wouldn't be all this drama to cause the second occurence. Secondly, Chevrolet sent a memo to the dealers that said specifically NOT to use the same head bolts. No matter who has done it, the manufacturer sent a letter saying NOT to do it. When you are a dealership, you listen to the company, and not do what you feel like to save on some shop supplies.