Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• my friend had a 98 cavalier, 25k, 3new sets of brakes,blown engine gasket, leaky radiator, bad steering rack, 2 motor mounts,most under warrantybut gm was not suprised w/theproblems considering it lower mileage, Get a clue j-body=JUnk
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Keep us posted buddy. My fiance's 2000 Cavalier drives nicely and gets great gas mileage. These are great little commuter cars and I haven't had problems with our Cavalier and I haven't heard any complaints from friends/family that have em. Hopefully after they fix your tranny you will be a happy camper.
  • notorious for problems as most 4cyl gm's goo luck w/ur cav's!
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    I don't know the answer to the PVC valve. I do know that I've had vehicles in the past (2 Fords,1 Toyota, 1 Camaro, 1 Subaru) which used oil from day one (in the range of the yours). 100,000 later(except for the 1 Ford)they used about the same. You probably got a bad ring somewhere-luck of the draw. I assume that your oil gets dark fairly soon after changing.

Tommy100 Cavaliers are not junk- far from it. I assume your brand loyalty is other than GM. Let me know whar your favorite is and I'll probably be able to give you a horror story or two about it.
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    Does anybody know where the EGR valve is on the 99 Cavalier? I'm having no problems but I would like to know as a matter of interest. In my opinion they don't use one any more which is a good thing. I have the latest Chiltons manual which covers the 1995 to 2000 models and all illustrations and fotos show an EGR valve. I'm talking about the 2.2L engine here. My engine doesn't appear to have one which is good as they are a source of trouble.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    It has a digital EGR valve,it has to be located under the intake manifold as I dont see it any where else.Look in your Chilton wiring diagrams and you will find a EGR wired in.
    Joe
    I own a 2000 Cav.2.2 and does not use oil between changes also a 99 Sonoma 2.2 no oil use between changes.Have also owned 2 other 2.2 an at 120K no oil use between changes.One time on a extended trip went 8500 miles without adding oil.You have got a bad one an they should fix it or replace it.Copy my post an show it to them.They are just making excuses.
    Joe
  • zduanzduan Posts: 3
    I have a 94 Cavalier, 2.2L Engine. Recently, When I drive it at about 50mph for about 3-4 miles. The "Check Engine Light" will come on. and collant fan begin running, although the coolant temperature is not high. and fan keep runing until I shut down the engine.

If I shut down the engine and restart it.(do not wait engine to cool) the light is not on. And every thing is normal. But if I drive it at about 50mph for 3-4mails again the light come one again. If I drive at low speed(under 40mph) the light never come on and fan shown no problem.

If I start the engine and run at idle. The fan will begin working when engine is hot and shut down automaticly when coolant temperature is low.
    Joe3891, many thanks for that. When I have time I'll have a look under the intake manifold. The Chilton manual for the 97-00 Cavalier shows a linear EGR valve in the wiring diagram though. But they may not be up-to-date. I know the 3.1L engine used a digital EGR valve and the old 2.3L and 2.4L engines did not use an EGR valve at all. I'll have to investigate and see what's going on here.
    zduan, I'm thinking about your problem. I'll see if I can come up with anything.
    Thats a strange one.If its a 4 cyl you need a scanner to get codes.I do know that above 40 mph the fan will shut off when the a/c is on.Im curious about what code you have stored.May have something to do with the a/c circuit.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Our family now has it's second Cavalier in a row (99 4-door) and it's great value for around town commuting. It's our second car, but we use it a lot and it has been trouble free. Cavalier's aren't the best car in to world, but they are far from "junk". With the 1.9% lease rate, they are a steal!
    zduan, I've been thinking about your problem. The only way you're going to find it is if you can pull a code when the check engine light comes on.

The ECM (engine control module) switches the coolant fan relay on and off. If the coolant is hot and the vehicle is travelling at 40mph or slower, the fan will come on. If the vehicle then travels at 50mph, the ECM should switch the fan OFF! The reasoning being that there is now enough airflow through the radiator.

Somehow in my opinion, the ECM is not getting information from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). But this would also affect your gear changes if you had an automatic. I doubt if this will help but try it. Swap the heater fan relay with the coolant fan relay. On my 99 Cavalier they have the same part number. Just check before you swap and see if they are the same on yours.

There is a long shot that something is wrong with the relay. Meanwhile I'll think about it some more.
  • Well, I am happy to report, for the last time, that the dealership, upon finding my key and getting their act together, fixed the transmission and only had me pay a deductable. Apparently, the housing shaft for the clutch was disfunctional. So, my car is back after three weeks away and I am set. Later.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    That is great news! You should not encounter tranny issues again. Good luck!
  • hey, i got a 97 cavalier and its great. except for this noise it makes, sort of like a "tick" "tick" noise the kind that the signals make. it comes from the driver side door and around the left side portion of the bottom of the steering part. it has been to the dealer many times but they couldnt find out the problem. they also told me that they had other complaints like these. help would be very much appreciated!!!! because that noise drives me NUTS!!!
    harry30, the fuse box and the ABS computer live in the area where you say the noise is coming from. Both have relays that might be clicking. Check to see if the chassis earth is good. That's the cable that comes from the negative of the battery and is then earthed to the battery tray. Mine was loose once and the ABS relays were clicking.
  • 97cav97cav Posts: 1
    I have a 97 cavalier with 70,000 miles on it and at idle there is a knocking sound coming from the engine, When I hit the gas and start driving the knocking stops. What could it be? I checked the oil and it was a little low so I added oil hoping it would help but it hasnt. Help!
  • I'm have a new cavilier and would like to know if there is any know problems with them. I have a friend that works at a chevy dealer and he said out of all the chevy cars the cav is the least one to see in the service department.

99 4 door ls
  • I have a 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier. Last week the ABS light came on. As I drove further my headlights began to flicker. When I go to start the car I have no power. If I wait for a few seconds and open the door the dome light will come on and then it may start. Yesterday as I was driving it the ABS light, the parking brake light and the battery light came on. The headlights went out for a second and the blower quit working.Sometimes I can't even unlock the door. The car doesn't stall out. I had the alternator and battery tested at Auto Zone and they checked out k. Later I started the car and it acted as if nothing was wrong. This morning I tried to start the car and it wouldn't. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated
    dragonman, you have all the symptoms of a bad chassis earth. Check the negative battery cable and follow it to where it's connected to the chassis. Check to see if the lug is clean and the bolt is tight. It's also possible that the positive cable terminal clamp is corroded and you have a bad battery connection. Anyway, just check all the heavy battery cables and connections. I'm sure it's a simple problem.
    millross, I've had my 99 Cavalier for 2 years and its never been back to the dealer since I bought it. I've been on long trips through Nevada and Idaho in hot weather and I do stop-start driving in the city. Never once has it let me down. It's going on for 30k miles now without a hiccup.

And 97cav, you might have a hydraulic valve lifter there that's sticking. That could give you your knocking sound that goes when you rev the engine. I use Mobil1 10W-30W and my engine runs very quietly. Maybe you should try it.
    I also have a 99 Cavalier. While it's not driven a lot (it's a second car for commuting to the train station), it has been totally trouble free for over a year and a half. The ABS have also been a total bonus through the snow this winter as well.
  • Just a note to say thanks for diagnosing my previously possessed 1993 Cavalier. I bought the car 3 months ago and never had the problem until last week. The previous owner had a new starter installed. The nut holding the positive battery cable had worked itself loose. Thanks again. Dragonman
    Pleased to hear that dragonman. Always go for the simple things first.
  • arebeearebee Posts: 3
    Just a quick note thanking everyone for their input on my oil consumption question.
  • Make/Model/Year: Chevy/Cavalier/1996
    Engine/Transom/Other: 2.2/Automatic/Air
    Miles: 38k

About a week ago the A/I started to act up on me ( I could hear the fan or compressor star going on and off and could hear a loud click as it went on and off). Around the same time the low coolant light started to go red (This would happen if I made a sharp turn and I thought it was mostly because the turn was moving the coolant around to one side)

Anyway a couple of days ago I noticed the temperature dial going almost to the red. My commute is against tragic so I am almost never get stuck. But the last couple of days I was sent to another location where I was stuck in traffic, and seeing the dial on the red was scary. I stopped at an auto parts and bought some of the orange coolant and filled it up with the 50/50 mixture. This did not fix the problem as my dial went to the red again yesterday and today while going to lunch the car not only over heated but the coolant overflowed after coming back.

What could this be?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Check your thermostat or water pump. Everyone that I know has had problems with water pumps in their Cavalier, so that may be it. Good news is that neither one of these parts is that expensive.
  • I just got a 2000 4dr 4speed automatic cavalier.I noticed whenever I slow down to come to a stop I hear a noise that sounds like low.. low.. low low low. Please don't laugh It's totally anoying. We also just bought a 2001 that doesn't do this. I had it back to the dealer they checked the brakes and they were fine. I came from A much bigger car, is this sound just normal for cavaliers? Please help.
    Strange noise. Is it very loud? We have a 99 and it does not do that.