Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• Apr 29, 2001 (10:49 pm)
    Okay,

I just purchased a 2001 Z24 with 5speed manual transmission. I feel the same vibration in the clutch as the previous poster said. I also have strange noises coming from the engine compartment (sounds sort of like a car that has bad gas in it kind of a knocking sound). The trunk doesn't open with the keyless entry and is very hard to shut. the car has 1200 miles on it. I am kind of upset about this. Has anyone else in the group had any of these problems? If so, was it resolved? If it was resolved could you please let me know how? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

CountryBoyX
    --------------------------------------------------
    Apr 29, 2001 (11:45 pm)

Make: CHEVROLET Model: CAVALIER Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: 291100 Bulletin Sequence Number: 163 Date of Bulletin: 11/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB616394
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:STANDARD:MANUAL
    Summary:
    SUBJECT PERTAINING TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION RATTLE. *TT
    May 07, 2001 (04:27 am)

Apparently they know how to fix the issue with the Jetrag 5 speed in the new 2001 cavalier. I am going to have my trunk and the transmission issue fixed on the 8th (tomorrow). I will let everyone know how it goes. I must note that I didn't have too many problems with my 98 Cavalier RS (2.2L). The plug wires and EGR valve (EGR Valve is very expensive) were the only issues I had with it. In 36,000 miles it never broke down (except once I ran it out of gas). It did have some annoying noises in the dash but I could deal with that. Sometimes people just get lemons. You also have to maintain a car. I had a 5 speed in my 98 as well. when I had the brake pads replaced for the first time I had the rotors resurfaced (this prevents the pulsating that I hear lots of people talking about). My father had an 87 cavalier and the only problem he had with it was a squeak in the dash and it drove him nuts so he got rid of it. I had a 91 Cavalier with the 2.2L and it had 115,000 before the transmission went up in it (it was involved in a flood and transmission was rusted inside). I sold it with 145,000 miles on it and it never broke down on me. Every car has it's problems and yes even a "Honda" will not last if you don't take care of it. My sister has a civic and it is a piece of S***. Honda makes good motorcycles but I don't like their cars. Eventually when I win the lotto I will own a new Vette. Until then I am very happy with my cavalier experience. I will let you know if I continue to have issues with my new Z24 after I take it for service at Jerry's Chevrolet, Perring Parkway, Baltimore, Maryland.
    May 16, 2001 (04:21 am)

Well,

I took my 2001 Z24 in for service. They replaced the manual tranny fluid with some kind of synthetic fluid. The grinding noise seems to be gone. As for the trunk they forgot to put the auto trunk latch on at the factor and they tried to tell me it wasn't an option on the car. I told them it was standard. I had both the service and sales managers out looking at my trunk. I mean why would a car have keyless entry for doors and not for trunk and no latch inside vehicle. Long story short they put the part on my car and everything works fine now.
  • jimm16jimm16 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Cavalier AS with 3500 miles on it. It has developed a creaking sound when turning the hand wheel that I have traced to the coil spring retainer at the top of the strut on the driver's side. As the wheel turns, the spring sticks and releases resulting in the creaking sound. (The passenger side turns smoothly) I have an appointment next weekend at the dealership but I am expecting nothing more than a shot of WD-40. Has anyone else seen this problem and if so what is the correct fix. Otherwise, I like the car a lot. 2.4 I engine is much quicken than the Nissan Sentry DE or Saturn L. The only thing I don't like are the seats... not very comfortable after about 30 ins. (I drive 35 min to work.)
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Sounds like strut bearing,i believe the 01's had a bad batch in production.I like the seat in my 00 LS,maybe its body style.I don't think you will like the 2.4 when the water pump has to be replaced,the front of the engine has to come apart,costs anywhere from $400 on up.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I agree with you, one of the worst things in the Cavalier is the seats. They are nice and soft, but not enough support.
  • My 01 Z24 has 3800 miles on it. I purchased the 5 year 75,000 miles warranty on it. The water pump is a known problem and will probably go up anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 miles (maybe sooner). It is a big job and I have heard the cost to be in the $700 - $800 range. Another job is the timing belt :-( After all the refinements they made to the quad 4 you think they would have engineered it to be easier to work on. Then again I am not an engineer. I would also worry about the head gasket when you get up there in mileage. I am not sure about now but I know they have had a history of blowing head gaskets.
  • This is for everyone who owns GM vehicles not just the cavalier. I have purchsed stuff from the following website for my 98 Cavalier and I plan to purchse for my 01 Z as well. http://www.rksport.com

I am probably going to get the RAM Air hood for my Z24 :-D

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I think only the 2.2 engine is famous for blowing its head gasket. The re-engineered version of the Quad 4 (Twin Cam) doesn't do it, or at least I haven't heard anything about it yet. As far as the water pump, it might be more expensive with the 2.4, but a friend has a 2.2 Cavalier and his pump went 3 times within 105K. He told me it cost like $100 to repair.

Speaking of my friend, he has a 1996 2-door base with 3-speed auto. and the 2.2. He had to replace the whole transmission in the car just after 100K. Also, the timing chain, the water pump, and various oxygen sensors and stuff. He said he didn't think that was too bad for 100K. Of course, I know people with other cars that don't do anything to them in 100K. To each his own I guess.

CountryBoy: Funny you say about Jerry's. I was looking for a car and went there too. Drove the Cavalier, but it felt just like the 1996 I used to have and I didn't get it. Went up the street and got a Mazda Protege from S&S on Joppa instead. Good luck with your car. :)
    The 2.4 dosen't have a timing belt,but if you want to you can worry about the #3 connecting knocking thats been a on going problem.
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    Funny thing is, the goober that I am, if I won the lottery, I would still buy $300 cars and nurse them back to health, I would still do courier work, but I would cut back to three days a week, and I would NOT buy a Corvette unless my wife demands one. So even if I had an eight-figure bank balance, I'd still be driving a Cavalier every now and then because Cavaliers always end up for sale as "basic transportation", "mechanic's specials", repossessions, etc...
  • jazzpantsjazzpants Posts: 8
    I have a 95 Cav and it has 147,500 miles on it. It is the basic ride, manual trans. I change the oil every 3000 and do all the basic maintenance on it. The only "problems" I have had were brakes and tires. The brakes are too small for the car. Make sure you get the semi-metallic brake pads when it is time to replace them. It is worth the extra couple of bucks. I did buy the new Volkswagen Jetta but I kept the Chevy. It is still running strong and is a great little ride. Do the basic maintenance and get more life out of the car. Hey, the VW can't touch the Chevy in gas milage!
  • sunfgtsunfgt Posts: 40
    the 0-60 time for a Z24 with the auto?

Also, has anyone ever had a problem with the 4 speed making a bang when shifting into Drive after a cold soak?
    Have 12K on a 4 sp and no bang yet.
  • eeeleeel Posts: 57
    good luck with jerry's - you're going to need it - they are great for getting a good price but the pits in service. i hope they come through for you
  • Joe,

What do you mean it doesn't have a timing chain/belt? They fixed everything on the car so I am pretty happy right now.

Countryboyx
  • eeel,

How so? What was your experience? Did you work for them? Thanks.

Countryboyx
  • dweezildweezil Posts: 271
    terminology-wise. A good number of OHC engines have a rubber timing belt that requires replacement every 60,000 miles or so.A few have a chain: Saturn 1.9;GM 2.4 etc.Most [if not all] OHV engines [the standard 2.2 ] are chain driven.In general a chain doesn't need to be replaced unless a vehicle has gone many many miles, well past 60,000 anyway.Rubber is quieter,but seems awfully out of date in the state of the art engines coming on line so frequently these days. It's such a critical part it would seem the preference for it would have died out long ago, not made into a regular replacement item and slipped into the maintenance schedule.Given the way so many maintain their cars; I wonder how many rubber timing belts are living on borrowed time.........
    All i said was the Cavalier dosen't have a timing belt,which is a milage change item,the chains which is whats on Cavalier go forever and then some.
    My wife's 1999 Cavalier has a faint rattle coming from the rear of the car at low speeds. Can't hear it if you have the radio on. Dealer said it was dirty brakes and proceeded to clean them for $40. Unfortunately the noise is still there. Anyone else experience this?

Aside from this irritation, we have had good luck with this car. Trouble free for 2 year now.
  • Well I didn't mean to say belt. I meant to say chain. Thanks for the input. I am about to change my oil at 4200 miles. I am gonna grab a K&N oil filter and 5 quarts of Mobil1 10w30 Synthetic oil.
    GM recommends 5W-30 and the new Fords are using 5W-20 i wonder about that.
  • kerrytkerryt Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2000 cavalier 16 months ago and have nothing but problems with it. I had my transmission repaired at 1500 miles, since then I have had 2 new transmissions and a new computer, new radiator, torque converter and my steering assembly replaced. My steering locked up on me while I was exiting the interstate and almost caused me to wreck the car with my 2 small children in the car. GM refused to give me a rental car since it was on a Saturday afternoon when this occured. Lucky the dealership where I took the car gave me one off their show room floor for the weekend. It took the dealership 15 days to get my car back to me, since I had complained to be GM Customer service. They required several tests to be done before they would authorize the repairs. I am still having transmission problems and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it. The last time I took it into a dealership they told me the motor mounts were broken and this was causing the tarns to slip, GM would not pay for my rental until the dealership actually started working on the car the dealership said it would be 3-5 days before they would have the new parts and could start the work. I had GM pay to tow the car to another dealership where they found the motor mounts to be fine. My transmission slips when I put it reverse, it's like it is not engaging into gear then when it does you feel like you are getting hit from the front you slam into gear. I had planned on giving this car to my 16 year old daughter when she got her license... not now. I just had the a/I repaired. This car has been a real pain to me. I have 32000 miles on it and have finally gotten the dealer to buy it back from me, only after I hired an attorney to get it declared a LEMON. I tried to go through the dealership and GM Customer service, all they would do is offer me an extended warranty at not cost, I had already purchased one when I leased the vehicle. For anyone out there interested in purchasing a cavalier be real careful!!! I had heard nothing but good things about the car and went with it for this reason. I am looking to purchase a sport utility now and I am staying away from all GM products. Their customer service department is not what they claim to be. The Customer Service actually suggested that I read my owners manuel to see that it states in there that these cars are known for the transmission slipping, I asked for a page # and they couldn't give one to me... my husband, daughter and I have read this book from page to page and not found anything yet. I hope everyone out there who own one has better luck then I have had.
    I can almost guarantee there is NO owner's manual ANYWHERE from ANY company that says anything REMOTELY like what they told you.
    You're well out of it if you leased it and thankfully got rid of it through buy back. I'm curious though; was it built in Mexico?? I have read comments where there is a difference in quality between there and Lordstown.
    I have had the opposite experience with mine. It's unfortunate that yours was so bad. Those dealers should lose their franchise for that kind of treatment, it's uncalled for.Sounds like they were just replacing things through guess work. Good grief, they've had since fall of 94 to learn what makes it screw up. If the dealer doesn't know by now, they shouldn't be selling cars. They're not that complex!
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    kerryt, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I can only speak well about my 1999 Cavalier. It has the 2.2L engine and the 4sp.auto transmission. I have not had a moments trouble so far. It would be interesting to know where yours was manufactered. Mine was made at Lordstown. Please let us know.
    That is a bummer. Our family has had 2 Cavaliers (91 and 99) and both have been nearly flawless. No, not the best cars in the world but reliable just the same. We mainly buy them cause they are cheap transportation. The replacement for our 99 will likely not be another simply because we need something bigger but ya never know.
  • mepumpkinmepumpkin Posts: 3
    so i still haven't really gotten my car fixed. and other problems seem to be becoming more important. i had a slight slidding on a wet and muddy road and subsequently hitting something, resulting in my car needing a new tire and wheel. then, still experiencing problems, a resurfacing of the new brake rotor, a new drum and a new tie rod. but i'm still having probs. namly, when i make a gentle left going more than 35mph, i experience a shaking/rubbing in the front right (which is the side that i hit). i got an alignment done hoping it would help (plus having gotten a new tire), but did nothing, and actually things got worse. i now shake when i do 60 to 65 (but not 70). any ideas on what they shaking/rubbing could be? it really worries me b/c of how much i can feel it and the fact that i'll actually be commuting to work soon.
    also, anyone know a good source that i can learn more about my car, how it works, etc. my owners manual is not really what i want to know and the articles i've read one edmunds are too general. thanks!
    ugh
    There's a great site for Cavaliers on Yahoo [www.yahoo.com]. It's called Canuk's Cavalier Club. It's one of five or six on Yahoo, but probably the biggest.People respond quickly on it and are well informed. They more than likely would be pleased to have you on board and more than willing to answer your questions. Dave
    Was reading at autonews.com that GM is pushing to have a new design for 2003. Lets hope it's true as Cavalier badly needs a re-design. Apparently it will be majority designed by GM Europe.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    The new Cavalier will share a lot of its design with the Opel Astra I believe. If they go that way it would be really nice since the Opel and Vauxhall small cars are really nice in design and it would appeal to younger people which would bring more people to Chevy Showrooms.
  • The Chevrolet website shows a new Z24 sedan coming out this summer, but when you click on the "more information" section, all you get is some cheesy ad.

Does anyone know if and when the Z24 sedan will come out and any details?

Chevy should have built a Z24 4-door long ago.

Cheers,

Tom
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    If GM is smart they will simply sell the Astra here badged as a Chevy Cavalier. Or Chevy Astra, as it is sold JUST LIKE THAT in Mexico, six hours away from me...