Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• jpelderjpelder Posts: 235
    Good luck going after your $400. While I applaud your spirit, have you found out whether or not you are entitled to the discount in the first place? I think that is the most important factor.

I understand your point about the contract and all, but if the discount was listed in error, I would be a bit more understanding. I have made mistakes quoting to my customers, and in some cases would lose my shirt if they didn't allow me to correct my error. (I'm not a car salesman) GM has so many damn programs that it gets confusing to sort out.

I read about a discount for "friends and family" of GM employees and tried to get it. I got several different stories from several different people, it was that confusing.

When I bought my Alero this month, if I would have bought my car 1 business hour later, I would have saved another $500. (GM increased the rebates) It makes you mad, and there's alwasy the suspicion that the dealer was deliberately deceptive. But I know that the dealer did not knowingly have me pay $500 more, and they have nothing to gain by it since it's not their money, but factory money.

GM sells cars to dealers, not individuals. SO it seems your beef is with the dealer.

Good luck in your quest, but I wouldn't hold it against GM in general. How many other companies give such generous college grad rebates.

Have you called the GM phone number for incentive programs? I got the number from a dealer if you need it and could email it to you. I got tired of asking sales reps about program details.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    We're trading my wife's coolant-leaking, head-gasket-blowing lousy excuse for transportation for a 2002 Mazda Protege5 this Saturday. Time for a quality car we can depend on.

Good luck with your Cavs!

Meade
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Good luck. It's too bad you had a bad experience. Keep in mind that Mazda's are far from trouble free though. Just ask one of the secretaries in my office about here 626 and you will get an ear full. That said, I hope it's a good car for you. They certainly are cool looking.
    Somehow I knew you'd slink back in here for one final pot shot at me, dindak.

Well, 626s have Ford mechanicals, for starters. So much for American reliability.

Say what you want about Mazdas being "far from trouble-free" -- this will be our fourth Protege. The first three HAVE been trouble-free (well, except for the one I totaled in 1992 -- but I consider that "user error," LOL)!

Here's some pics to prove my credentials -- just don't laugh to hard at that pic of me before I lost some weight!

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/specialty_old6.htm

Meade

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I have to say I don't think Dindak's comment was a shot at you. He/she is right about all cars. No car is trouble-free. Some just have more trouble than others. You just got a lemon is all.

But to Meade's defense, Dindak, the 626 is built with Ford mechanicals. I have an office mate who has trouble with his wife's 626 all the time, and it's only got like 55K on it.
    Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Isn't that how it goes? Boy, I feel all warm and tingly inside! Peace brothers!

Meade
    I do have to say there seems to be more Cavaliers lemons out there than Mazda lemons.

And baseball and hot dogs and Chevrolet? Ugh, I think I am going to yak... :)
    You probably wouldn't remember it. I think it was out right around 1980, give or take a year or two. Weren't you still in diapers then?

Meade
    You're right, I was probably still in diapers in 1980. :)
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Yes, that could well be true but 233,000+ Cavaliers sold vs 78,000+ Proteges sold will explain why there might be more bad Cavaliers, probabilities are higher. :-)

Source: Autosite.com sales volume
    So building more cars results in a greater risk of problems? Then why are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord winning sales records AND winning reliability awards simultaneously?
    mdaffron : Not meant to be a pot shot at all. I really do wish you well. I know people that have had problems with all sorts of cars and won't buy them again. Don't blame them and don't blame you. Peace man!
    When it all boils down, everybody has their own personal tastes and preferences. If we didn't, there wouldn't be so damned many cars on the market and we'd all be driving the same thing! So we had bad luck with our Cav. Not all are bad, I'm not stupid enough to think that. But for me, I go by the adage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME."

I've been screwed a number of times by THIS PARTICULAR car. If yours is great, wonderful! I choose not to take the chance again, and will instead go with a vehicle with which I've had three flawless examples. Maybe I've been lucky; I don't know. But all I know is what I've experienced.

That IS human nature, after all, isn't it? My dad asked me why I just purchased a Toshiba for my new 36-inch TV, when I could've chosen another brand like Sony or JVC which are touted as top-of-the-line. Well, I told him the reason: I have a 20-inch Toshiba that's been through a half-dozen moves, a couple of nasty power surges and other mishaps and it's working like a champ. Oh, did I mention it's approaching 15 years old? There was no question which brand of TV I was going to choose for my new one. Experience!

(Dindak, I'm saying this more for malibu99 than for you.)

So farewell, Cavalier fans! My dealer will confirm or deny your claims to quality with his trade-in offer!

Meade
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Boring day at work, eh?

Do you feel compelled to get back at each poster that refutes your claims of unhapiness as an owner of a Cavalier?

Get over it.

You have get rid of the thing and soon you'll be driving a spanking new Protege5.

Time to move on and BTW, enjoy your new car.
    The more you build the greater the chance of a bad car ( or any product that is mass produced) simple fact, nothing I made up. :-)
  • Thanks for the comments about my college grad rebate and the GM supplier discount. Yes, I understand, the dealers buy the cars from Chevrolet. So they are somewhat distinct entities. My dealer said he isn't going to pay because GM wouldn't pay the college rebate to them. I think my dealer should pay because he employs finance people who don't know how to implement GM's finance programs. The dealer should eat this as a result of their own ignorance. I hold GM responsible, because they have ultimate responsibility for the satisfaction of their customers. I may find out if I signed an arbitration agreement, then find how how to start that process. I can live without the $400 bucks, but I want justice. I wish evil upon them.
    GM is responsible for it's car owners being happy. You don't own the car, so it's really the dealer who you should take issue with. Will your dealer not split the difference or something? Perhaps a few free oil changes? I doubt complaining to GM will get you very far unfortunately as it was a dealer error, not the company's
  • Ya know, maybe in a different industry, I might be more understanding. Say it was a miscommunication with an ebay buyer and seller thing, I would bend. I'm no tightwad, I pay for a lot of stuff, let a lot of things go, and generally I feel that being fair is the right thing to do. When it comes to cars though, I am as unreasonable as a woman. See, say the dealer charged me 24% interest on a car loan, then my dad told me that was too high. Do you think that if I went back, the dealer would split the difference? No way in Heil. The dealer would say, "you signed the contract" and so would the judge. So, I signed a contract, and I'm going to make them live by it, just like I had to live by my past contract where I got reamed up the XXX by car dealers. It's funny too, the motto of this car dealer is "the Saints of St. Johns!".
    So are they making you stick with the deal? Can't you just walk away or was there a deposit?

I would think if the terms of a signed contract were changed with out both sides consent, the contract is null and void.
  • Dindak. I bought and picked up the Car Nov 11, 2001. That's the day I signed the papers and off I drove with the car. I took the $2500 cash back, and I financed the whole price of the car. So in 8 weeks I expected to get a check for $2500. The college grad rebate the dealer put towards my down payment, then he would wait to get paid for that. So on Jan 9th, 02 I went into get my $2500 rebate, and he only gave me $2100, withholding $400 because GM kicked the college grad rebate back to him. So it's not like I can take a car back with 4000 miles on it, although I know they can repo a car if they can't get you financed... So, yesterday, kind of in response to your posting, I wrote the dealer again, saying that GM Detroit denied my claim, and that I expect the GM dealer, to make me whole. So I expect to get a call from him saying "sorry sucker"... I sent another flaming snail mail to GM detroit plus Clark Howard, this one guy who fights for consumer injustice and to a local tv station consumer action team. Thanks for the enjoyable discourse.... Car dealers ask for it when they play these games. My dealer might have known, that if I didn't get all 3 rebate, then I had no loyalty whatsover in buying a GM car, even though I was a GM contractor. Essentially, I saved 50 bucks by using the GM contractor discount, but then I loss $400 bucks by them rejecting the college rebate. I bet the dealer knew this and thought I would roll over and play dead. No way buddy, I'm gonna fight. :)
    And to think GM's new slogan is, "We'll be there." Is that a promise or a threat?

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meade
    mdaffron : Is that necessary?

allenorygun : Ahh.. sorry, I didn't realize you had the car already. I still think most of the blame is with the dealer. They should know GM policy and should not have written in the $400 rebate. They also did it in a strange way as when I got my grad rebate 10 years ago, it was taken off the total check I gave them right away. I did not go back to get a rebate from them. Sounds like the dealer did a little bait and pull. VERY BAD DEALER!

My beef with GM would be with the dealerships dishonesty. Maybe try that angle as I don't think GM will give you your $400 is their policy is not to combine it with a GMS discount.
    dalerships are independednt of GM, they buy the car from GM and sell it. GM has no responsibility. If the salesman used the rebate and wasn't supposed to that is something to fight with him/her not GM.

mdaffron, grow up.
  • I somewhat share the same sentiment from mdaffrom. Here's the new cars I've bought since I had control over the buying decisions or could buy myself. 85 Nissan Pickup, 93 F-150, 97 Ranger,99 Contour, 99 Ranger, 01 Corolla, 01 Ranger, 01 Focus (and I talked my friend into a 2001 Focus also) and now I have this 2002 Cavalier, my first GM experience, and you guys know and if anyone from GM cares, this is MY LAST GM CAR EVER, and it's my MISSION now to take sales away from GM and screw them wherever I can. We're in a worldwide economy now. No longer do I have to be a good American by buying American cars. I can buy a BMW made in North Carolina, or a Toyota made in Freemont, CA or a Nissan Pickup made in Tennessee. I plan to make lots of money and spend it on every other car manufacturer except the one company that screwed me when times were tough, when I just got out of college, was deep in debt and needed their paltry $400 bucks to make my condo payment. How's that for guilt!
  • And I had a 97 Intrepid, which by the way, was a very nice car, except since the windshield was so sloped, here in Oregon the wipers couldn't clear the windshield fast enough. I remember saying, "Chit, where's the road" for like 5 seconds after a big semi just sent 100 gallons of rain water shooting towards my little blue mopar mobile.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    >one company that screwed me when times were tough, when I just got out of college, was deep in debt and needed their paltry $400 bucks to make my condo payment.<
    You were having tough times and you bought a new car,i really can't feel for you.
    Not sure why you are here as it sounds like you made up your mind before you started posting. I think you are going over the edge with the "mission". Get a grip.
  • Yes, maybe I do get a little dramatic.... thanks for listening to me, as I do get some satisfaction here being able to express myself, when there's just a deaf ear at the dealership and via GM cust serv. Why yes, a new car i suppose is a luxury. I tried to get a good value here, it's about the cheapest new car I could buy. I shall chill for a while.
    I'm sure GM is hurting oh so bad because of the "mission", yea a grip is necessary. I can tell you are staright out of college.
  • Yes, dealer called me today, said he would put a $400 check in the mail. He asked if I already put the survey in da mail.... ooops, a little late. So... I guess I'm neutral now on GM, but I appreciate my dealer paying without more hassle. As you can probably tell, I was ready to go for the jugular. Thanks for your advice. Thank you dindak, cause it was that letter than motivated the dealer. Here's what I wrote to get my rebate, to the dealer. "I wrote to Chevrolet in Detroit requesting my rebate. They refused my request. I am now asking that live up to the contract that I signed by refunding the $400 to me. I would never have bought this car if there was any doubt about the applicability of any discount. I relied on your finance person, XXXX to know if this would work or not, so the mistake is yours, not mine. I&#146;ll wait for your reply."