Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... how some Edmunds car topics are filled with enthusiasts, for the most part -- people who discuss how much they enjoy their cars, the kinds of accessories they're adding, etc. -- while other topics, such as this one, consist almost entirely of people coming in seeking solutions for problems -- only to get told "it's a car for Christs sake get over it and move on" by the small, defend-it-to-the-death gestapo faction that will not consider that the person actually may have a valid concern. Yeah, the car was built by GM -- there's no way a big ol' friendly American automaker could have made a big boo-boo and lied to cover it up, now is there? Not since, oh say, the side-mounted truck gas tank dilemma? Or the Ford Pinto?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I don't want to make you feel bad but i do my own work.Took the head off with everything on & the valve cover gasket was neoprene so used it over.Bought the head gasket at Advance Auto Parts for $14.Changed the oil & filter but chalked that up to normal maintenance.It costs me more to change my transmission oil & filter than to replace a head gasket on a 2.2.40,000 miles later i sold the car and the gasket was still good.
    Joe -- If it's that simple a fix, why do the dealers charge close to $1,000 to fix it? Yet another example of being reamed by the big GM?

(Really, thanks for the advice. I do certain things myself but never tried tackling a head gasket before. But I may look into it if the leak affects our trade-in value a lot.)

BTW dindak, I'm not that wound up that I can't carry on a conversation. You keep coming back and repeating that I'm too wound up to have a conversation with. On the contrary, it appears to me that some people would rather not carry on a conversation with me since I am understandably passionate about this problem. I will not "relax and enjoy my Protege" while that worthless heap of Detroit crap still sits next to it in the driveway. Bitter? You betcha! Even more now! Why?

"We don't build 'em, we just sell 'em!"

Thanks Vocus -- I think any of us (those of us who are honest, that is) would be bitter too if they'd just been told to "suck it up" and pay close to a thousand bucks for the third incidence of the exact same problem in 54,000 miles! What -- should I happily pay my kilobuck and start saving my pennies so I can do it AGAIN in 6,000 miles? That's how long the last two lasted each! What would you do?

Hey -- one new head gasket repair every 6,000 miles -- that comes to 17 cents a mile! At our average of 12,000 miles a year, that's $170 a month! I'd better start my "Head Gasket Piggy Bank" right away!!! Funny; the monthly payment on the old Cav was only slightly higher than that. Yep -- Chevy Cavalier ... the gift that keeps on taking!

Am I supposed to calm my rage toward GM by knowing the the Cavalier is the "weakest link?" Excuse me, but the 12 grand we put toward the Cavalier meant just as much to us as the 12 grand somebody might put into an S10 pickup (which by the way is no pinnacle on the reliability scale either). Since when does GM get to pick which vehicles it takes the time to build right and which vehicles it dumps on the public with manufacturing defects? What an excuse.

How fast has my opinion of GM products fallen in the last year?

LIKE A ROCK.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    JD Power's #1 compact pick up for initial quality - S-10 pickup.

Name calling and misquoting me is really showing how emotional you obviously are. I think you really need to take a step back and get a grip. Your experience with a GM car is not everyone elses. I thought you sold the Cavalier?

I've tried to be nice and have a civil conversation, but I can't obviously say anything you aren't going rip to shreds.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I am sorry, but I have to agree with MD. I would be royally pi$$ed too if my head gasket went 3 times within a year or so. And the mileage on the car has only increased by like 5000 in that year, so that's even more a reason for the gasket not to be blowing left and right. To me it is anyway.
    If you look back at my past posts you will see I clearly said, "I don't blame you for being mad and buying something else". All I'm just saying GM and American cars are not all crap like he says. I've driven both Japanese cars and American and nither is clearly superior in general.
    I've always loved that survey. Initial quality measures how well the manufacturer lived up to delivering a vehicle with no defects. But all vehicles come with warranties to take care of any initial glitches. How about something more important to car buyers, like long-term reliability? I'll refer you back to the same link I posted the other day:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/redirect/content.jsp?PATH=/Special/Autos/Reports/0110use0.html

You use your consumer sources, I'll use mine. We can back ourselves up to the bitter end. And speaking of misquoting ... I never said I've sold the Cavalier. Geesh, I just said yesterday I was going to sell it ... it takes a few days to clean up the green mess under the hood, give it a bath and get it ready for trade-in inspection! We'll probably try to wait until the end of the month -- oughta be an incredibly rich buyer's market then!

And another misquote on your part ... I never said my Cavalier experience was everyone else's either -- but I don't have to. Dozens of folks have posted this common Cavalier problem on Edmunds topics anyway! And GM itself admitted it! So YOU get over it -- no matter whether I said it or not, it IS a common problem. I don't think I've been unlucky having this problem -- I think YOU have been LUCKY not having it.

And there you go again -- the third time today, I think -- calling me emotional. Why do you keep harping on that? Yes, I AM EMOTIONAL! Wouldn't you be too, if you had a car that bites you in the financial derriere every six months? Remember ...

"We don't build 'em, we just sell 'em!"

Meade

There you go misquoting me again. I never said GM and American cars were all crap. If you can remember last year, I said the exact opposite TO YOU, sir. September 15, 2000 ... Post 284, if you'd like to check it. I said:

"No, all GM cars aren't crap. My dad and stepmom both have Buick Rivieras and they're fine. My experience, however, makes me hesitate to buy anything built in America ever again ..."

I maintain that opinion. Once bitten, twice shy ... I had a shred of hope after last year's second head gasket replacement -- I hoped that maybe this time it was fixed. But I was wrong, and now I (ME) (MYSELF) (JUST ME) (NOT YOU) (NOR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS TOPIC) (WARNING: FOLLOWING PHRASE IS MY OPINION) (YOUR OPINION MAY VARY) prefer not to take the chance with GM ever again.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's just try to focus on the car instead of quoting each other and arguing about it, okay?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    You're right; there's no need to continue this. Especially since I'm getting rid of the Cavalier. I'm finished beating this dead horse (the topic, not the car.)

;-)

Meade
    I think it all comes down to what American car buyers call quality. Post 540 sums it up completely: My 1997 Cavalier with 53k miles has not given me a lot of trouble and has proven to be reliable so far. Problems were wiper motor that took 3 tries to fix, 2 recalls, replacing the tiny front brakes every 2 years along with a set of rotors, coolant temp sensor, and the usual American made squeaks and rattles."
    Finally you said something right.. "This horse has beaten to death".

Maybe we and our family have been lucky with our Cavaliers. It's been a great second car and very inexpensive. The dealership is very good and service is top notch. I'm sorry you had a bad Cavalier. Be happy and don't buy GM again is my best advice.
  • 3 attempts at fixing a wiper motor is 3 times more than I would expect in a Honda and 2 times more than I would expect in a Chevy.

We had an issue with a 1998 Honda Civic EX we purchased in Nov. 98. It wasn't mechanical. There were some slight imperfections in the paint on the rear of the car. We complained with American Honda in Jan. 99 and ended up with $1,000 cash and a new Accord at cost. That sure beats a head gasket.
    I don't know what point you were trying to make in post 631. That quote I lifted from post 540 wasn't mine. Those were another Cavalier owner's words.

Now, I'm outta here.

Meade
    mdaffron : You said "Post 540 sums it up completely"

black01coupev6 : Our receptionist has a 98 Civic. Just after the warranty expired she had a broken alternator and her barrings needed replacing. Doesn't mean Honda sucks. Means she has a bad car.
    BTW, did that Civic's replacement alternator die 4,000 miles later, to be replaced by another one that died 6,000 miles after that?

Bye. And I mean it this time, Pat.

Meade
    Peace man!
    It was a nice debate. Sorry we got out of hand there a little, Pat. I repent!

Meade
    Nope, but she just got it fixed 2 months ago.

Actually our current Cavalier is leased and will be going back in 6 months. I think I will probably upgrade to an Alero if we don't get a van of some kind.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I thought they were stopping production of Aleros soon? Wouldn't it be hard to get parts and stuff for a car that's not made anymore?